Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone out there plan on becoming teachers?

Options
  • 01-04-2003 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Just curious. We grow up to hate/fear/despise most teachers, how many of you will actually become "one of them"? I'll be doing an Arts degree and think I will teach.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

me do art degree too but me die before teach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Ahh so arts degrees aren't useless :P J/k
    I've considered teaching but I'm doing comp science atm.. Afaik I just have to do the H-Dip after my degree to become a teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i also want to do arts, not teach tho
    /me shudders at the thought of dealing with someone like me in a class

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

aahhahahaha

That question should have been put in the humour section me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ixidor

ummm.. go though 4 years of college so that you can be stuck in a room with 30 people who hate you......

it must be punishment or something!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

i'm in college at the moment doing arts......planning to do teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Why do people hate teaching? I can't wait to get into it! People don't hate them, in our school most people get on fairly well with teachers, even more so with the younger ones! Even though I'd like something on the side as well, I'm sure it's for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i know a couple of people who want to go into teaching from science, me personally i couldn't stand it, imagine teaching the same thing year in year out, and you be teaching the same basic science forever, you wouldn't be at the cutting edge of research and you'd just drop out of the fold, i wouldn't mind lecturing though and they get paid a lot more.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but it depends on the subject! English for example, every year the texts change! I think the NCCA (National Council for Curriculum and Assessment want to make all subjects a little more varied (interesting). Just look at the new RE sylabus, projects and everything with serious effort involved. Many of the current subjects are now under review and I think there all gonna be changed! Home EC gets a project from next year, Geography and History are in for major overhauls.

Further to the point, if you are interested in making subjects more "interesting" go to the NCCA website. They're carrying out a survey to see how they can change the system and if you think it will have no impact, you're wrong. The last time they did one of these Transition Year, Leaving Cert Applied and LCVP were introduced.

www.ncca.ie

• Advertisement

i did the lcvp got me a few extra points, its not that what you teach wouldn't be interesting its just that it would be the basics and boring to do year in year out until your 65 or so

Then reccomend they offer advanced modules on syllabus! Maybe optional with extra points awarded?

perhaps it could be done however i know the chemistry and physics units where restructured though in the last couple and in the process made easier so more people would do them and it would attract more people into the sciences i believe, i'm not sure how up for making the course more difficult and giving them more content they would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

i'm planning to teach english and i dont think it will be boring as the course changes there are loads of books on the course so its just a matter of changing them around. Also with different students every year its not going to be the same. Anyway every job becomes boring after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭josh40

I just couldn't resist replying, I've been a teacher for almost 20 years and I'd never do anything else.

I love working with teenagers and we get on great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I'm in electronic engineering at the moment with another year to go for my degree. I have to say that I'd be strongly interested in teaching for a while. I wouldn't do it for the rest of my life.
    What interests me is the opportunity to help make someones life better.
    Also, I've had bunches of rubbish teachers and lectures in my last 20 odd years being educated and I'd love to just go and do it properly to show all those useless people, who just don't care about the students they're teaching, how it's supposed to be done! :)
    Would that be a bad reason? The student would still be reaping all the benefits. :)

What makes you think though you would be a good teacher? (no offense intended). Personally i don't think i would be a great teacher don't think i would have the patience for it a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Well I've been in education a long time at this stage and I've been taught by many different people and I've seen what works and what doesn't.
    I reckon I could use what works and I think I understand the position of the student better than some of the people who've taught me.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

I wouldn't like to be a teacher but what i want to do is lecture..
    don't have to deal with the messers and better money.
    As far as I know you don't have to do a H. Dip.. i want to do Design Comm. and then go on to lecture..
    My art teacher said you just apply.. (as long as you got honours and a masters or something)
    See i want to do Design communications in college but instead of gettin a more related job out of it it i decided i wanna teach it..

Well my art teacher made the lecture life out to be sh!t hot..
    Said their lecturer was really young had a BMZ and never showed up for class!

ANyone know how u go about doing this!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Captain Planet

Hmmmm....yeah, teaching, you do get to inspire a whole new generation and all that, get to work with subjects you're interested in, interacting with people who share your passion and nurturing that interest, little chance of getting fired, beautiful holidays...

BUT, boring syllabuses, annoying children, no real prospect of advancement or promotion, little respect, image of becoming embittered staffroom-stalking 48yr old....

I just dunno....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Originally posted by Captain Planet
    little chance of getting fired

Yep, pity about that really..... *cough* a certain English teacher, *cough* :mad:

Advertisement