Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History & Heritage

Options
  • 01-04-2003 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

After a discussion on IRC, a couple of us came to the conclusion that, while it wouldn't necessarily generate massive volumes of traffic, a board about "History & Heritage" would, to many, be quite a compelling read.

It'd be the place to go to find out more about both historical facts and figures as well as legends of ancient times... - actually, it's got quite a wide scope, from stories of the Native Americans, to the Northern Ireland "troubles" to the stories of the Knights Templar, Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, the World Wars, the ancient Celts, ... whatever.

It would naturally have connections to other boards such as the language boards, literature, paganism, etc. etc.

Any ideas / suggestions / agreements / disagreements / recipes for good mead?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

/me throws his full weight behind this board

I think it would be a good idea, the topics bard just threw out there don't really belong any where else and it would be nice to get some discussion/learning goin on about these things :)

i'm sure there are quite a few history buffs among us here who would welcome this board

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

sounds like a good idea to me :D And I would say you would be surprised with the ammount of useage it would get....anywho GL with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Id like to see this board aswell, it could be really quite intresting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Id also like to see it, especially since I was the one to make the suggestion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I give my approval.

A worryingly usefull board it may indeed be!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

YUp got my lil vote

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

oooooooo yes please!!! Exactly what I've been waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

what do ye think, Admin-type folk?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they can smell the change on the winds bard.. and they fear it

bard powa!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I can certainly smell something, Mordeth... Anyway, I like the sound of this board, as long as it wasn't turned into propaganda wars over the north, and wasn't flooded by yanks looking for us to find out who their great great great grandaddy was :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Thaed
    YUp got my lil vote
    Ah, just include it in Paganism ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

A history board sounds very interesting.

Thumbs up etc.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think this is a very good idea. I'd like to hear more about what you think would go in there?

A few enthusiastic mods could really make an interesting board out of this.

Can you expand the explanation of your idea?
    (preferably using small words and illustrative images :) )

DeV.

I'm enthusiastic!

Ok,... it's not a very tightly defined area, - that which this potential board would cover. Basically, it 'does exactly what it says on the tin' and covers all aspects of history and heritage.

If you're interested in who invaded who first in the Crimean War, what your family tartan looks like, the storys of Fionn MacCumhail and the Fianna, the Christian Crusades to the Holy Land, the foundation of the state, ... anything there, then this would be the place for you.

The intention would be to cover all aspects of discussion of historical facts and figures (so there would indeed be a lot of in depth discussion which many may find boring) while at the same time making allowances for fiction such as the stories, legends and myths that made certain cultures what they are. It'd be a board which would take a look at our world and how it became what it is today, while at the same time, doffing it's cap to organisations such as the S.C.A. (Society for Creative Anachronism) which regularly holds events worldwide (including feasts, festivals and battles) in which they recreate the past - specifically medieval times.

I'm not sure how to explain it further. Basically it's a place for intelligent discussion on a broad yet related group of topics in which many people have an avid interest and a few find utterly fascinating.

It's culture, it's society, - it's history and heritage.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Also the anthropological side of History such as origins and evolution, such as Native Tribes of S.America and how they related to the Spanish Conquestadors etc.

Pretty much anything that floats your boat, to define it for a certain period of History is too limited imho, yes it's vague but would make for some interesting discussion.

Why if it were created I could explain to you all the Origins of Yo Momma, or in the Irish Sense yore ma!.

That dates back to the days of Black Slavery.

Origins of Superstitions, old wives tales etc, some very interesting topics there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

heh, I could whore a site I did the history section on (with a friend), so it gets my thumbs up :P

( http://www.stmarys.ie/cathalbrugha/history/page1.htm )

History is always something that I have found interesting, in particular Ireland between 1890 - 1924, a period we all know a good bit about.

The other merit such a board would have would be how History and the present relate to eachother.

One of the most interesting thing about history is that we can nearly always find a particualr event's modern day equivalent.

I also see space for those interesting titbits of strange events that may only be accounted in rare History books that we are ublikely ever to read.

The only downside i can see is the potential for people ranting about all those years of oppression in a completely bias manner. We all must be objective :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Truckle for mod :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Such a board would be a welcome addition to the society pantheon,

I Suggest that due to its vulnrability to attack by the Kim Tae Woo Banana Card,The Powers that be should put 2 Mods
    (Bard and Truckle get my vote)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

What cat said about mods, sound likes a great idea for a board looking forward to reading it.

Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The Surgeon

I think it's a great idea too :)

I'm an historian but I spend most of time in the Politics board. Naturally, many of the discussions there need historical backdrops in order to inform participants but Politcs isn't really the place to set up huge detaialed threads on how Saddam came to power in the first place, how the state of Israel came about, what the history of terrorism is etc etc, so a separate board to explore such areas in more depth would be extremely useful.

Heritage also sounds like a topic with real potential. I've recently left the "old country" so discussing the uses and abuses of heritage issues could be fascinating for me personally.

I'm also excited by the idea of reawakening my passion for history which has dwindled somewhat since I left uni and had to become a nine-to-fiver. It would be great to refresh my knowledge of certain areas, learn about new topics and get to have a few hum-dingers over old ones.

Bring it on dudes!!! :D

• Advertisement

So, Admin folk... does this constitute enough support to create the board? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

An excellent idea of Bards.
    Would be helpful to me as I'm doing an OU history course at present, and I can post online for homework solutions :)

Perhaps two forums should be considered one for Irish History and Heritage and one for World History and Heritage.
    That could be a useful way of preventing the Irish site being swamped in a flood of Hitlers Beetle threads.

I would also like both preposed sites to be a place to discuss works of Non Fiction on Historical events as there is at the moment no place really suited to discussions of this type.
    Books like One Palestine Complete,by Tom Sergev./.\ The Taliban by Ahmed Rashid /.\ And Backfire-Myths That made US fight/.\

Also I would like some Cake,

Bah, I messed this up while copying stuff, but you can find the details on the recommended reading thread on History/Heritage if you really want to ;)

[offtopic]Haven't read that but see if you can get yourself a copy of Fatal Decisions its a series of reports written by Hitler generals about Stalingrad[/offtopic]

Originally posted by Truckle
    Although i myself would like 2 boards, I don't think there would be enough traffic to justify 2 boards.

Agreed!

I really am foaming at the mouth for this one tbh :P

If you mean you're chomping at the bit looking forward to the board being created and discussions starting there, well GOOD... me too! :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

will create it now, work out mods later.

DeV The Busy.

Thanks muchly! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I would have supported this had I seen it earlier :D.

Just curious as to what category this falls under in the quick-links at the top...

I thought Arts or Society myself.

• Advertisement

Yeah, veering more towards arts though

Advertisement