Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bad news for ppl that modify their cars

Options
  • 01-04-2003 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Seen this on ireland.com:

"Major steps are being taken that will make it illegal to modify a car in any way without getting NSO10403 accreditation for every non standard part after it has been fitted only by a qualified engineer.

These new rules are expected to be in place by the end of the year and anyone with non standard parts, or parts fitted by non qualified persons, will be given six months to return their car to standard or face a fine of €1000 per part.

This will include any performance enhancing modifications and also other areas such as window tints, stickers and anything that could adversely affect the manufactures performance and safety specifications.

An insurance spokesman from Quinn Direct said: “Its about time we put an end to all the dangerous and life threatening modifications that these young and inexperienced drivers are doing to their cars. It’s clear that the modifications they do are causing more accidents and thefts and therefore pushing up insurance premiums for other more experienced drivers. We have been pushing for this for a long time and will soon refuse to insure anyone even with minor modifications such as alloy wheels and air filters, if they are not fitted by professionals or do not conform to the new NSO standards. The rest of the insurance industry will also follow suit.”

This extreme change comes after pressure to the government from the public against the ‘boy racers’ that ruin their town centre car parks on a weekly basis.
    One local said; “If these new laws come into place they will no longer have anything to show off and will hopefully find something else to do.”

The move has also been encouraged by many Garda forces across the country. When contacted they released the following statement. “We believe this is about time, we want to make modifying a car as socially unacceptable as drink driving and speeding. There is no need to change the way a car looks of performs, that’s down to the manufacture to develop and get right, not bolt on parts from your local motor store. Soon we will have the powers to immediately stop and ticket any car that we believe has been altered from factory specifications.

All was not good however; the car industry in Ireland employs thousands of people, all of which could be at risk of job losses when these new regulations come into force.
    “It’s a farce we had no warning about this what are we supposed to do now, it will cost us thousands of euro’s to get even a fraction of our accessories approved” said a spokesman for the industry. “We have no idea what the small outlets will do, they will simply go out of business.”

Modders now have until the end of the year to have their cars checked by a chartered engineer, at an estimated cost of up to €200 per car, or face a €1000 fine per modification.”

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

April fools, I hope

It sounds like a terrible idea imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

How do they define this though??

My car has 17" alloys, but so does my dad's very sedate car.

My car has a spoiler, but so has my dads car.
    window tints, stickers and anything that could adversely affect the manufactures performance and safety specifications.

Can someone explain how a sticker affects performance and safety specs??

What size spoiler is going to be unacceptable?

What size wheels?

Can't see my middle aged boss removing the tint from the windows of his Merc. How dark is too dark?

This HAS to be an April fools thingie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Small spelling errors make me vote for April Fools. Plus lack of the Irish Times' fetish for putting things in passive voice and reversing the sentence clauses.

My car has a spoiler and alloy wheels. Came out of the factory like that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

relax guys, its an april fool :p

no such thing as NSO standards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Pity it's an April fool - I'd love to see a clampdown on what modifications people carry out on cars.

There should be tighter controls on non-manufacturer approved parts that are fitted to cars, and there should be definite restrictions on who can fit them. I also think that insurance cover for modified cars should be provided only if the car is professionally inspected and certified.

There are two many badly modified death-traps out there, and something needs to be done methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Originally posted by Chimaera
    Pity it's an April fool- There are two many badly modified death-traps out there, and something needs to be done methinks.

Here here. I saw a programme on UK traffic cops the other night and they stopped a Ferrari as he had his fogs on in no fog. How many times does that happen here? None. I have a pain in my ass with cars driving towards me with the equivalent of night rally driving lighting apparatus on the front of their Micra, blinding the shít out of me.

As far as I understand it, the law says that there should be no lighting on the car other than what it was factory fitted with and what is necesary to be seen and see in the dark. My thinking therefore is why arent cars with flourescent blue lights and Kit style flashing bulbs across the grill done on the spot by the Police? All they do is serve as distractions to other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Originally posted by Chimaera
    There should be tighter controls on non-manufacturer approved parts that are fitted to cars, and there should be definite restrictions on who can fit them. I also think that insurance cover for modified cars should be provided only if the car is professionally inspected and certified.

But where do you draw the line?

Why should I spend 25 quid on a peugeot oil filter when I can buy a bosch one for 12?

(I don't actually know how much the filter would cost from the peugeot parts counter, but hopefully you get the idea)

It's the same thing when you think about it, not manufacturer approved (plus there's prolly a whole industry related to neon oil filters)

I replaced my brake pads last year with non peugeot parts.
    I could just as easily have bought me a set of EBC green stuff pads (would've, but I was broke)

I fitted them myself. I'm more than capable of this operation, why should I have to pay an approved peugeot dealer to fit approved peugeot parts to a car that's outside it's warranty?

Most cars that are out of warranty are not serviced using original manufacturer parts, does that mean my monroe shocks would need to be tested by a certified engineer too.

how heavily modified does the car need to be before you think it should be inspected?

alloys ok, but filter and exhaust bad?

Modifed cars are a fact of life. If a car is modified and holds a valid NCT then the owner has done his bit within the law.

whether you like them or not (most of the time I don't, but I only like the really nicely done jobs) modified cars have as much right to be on the road as any other car. stupid drivers (be they of modified chariot or not) don't

John

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

relax guys, its an april fool

no such thing as NSO standards

*ahem* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I agree too.

I've just seen a Yaris modded. A ****ing Toyota Yaris!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by DMC
    I agree too.

I've just seen a Yaris modded. A ****ing Toyota Yaris!
    There's a guy around the corner from me that has a modified Yaris. For a start, it's Pink. He has put a vent in the bonnet. He has replaced the lights with those plastic covers (supposed to make a car look like a TVR, but just makes it look crap). There's a HUGE spoiler on the back, and tinted windows. Finally, ha has lowered the car, and put on large intakes. And to top it off, it sounds like...a bog standard yaris :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I may have seen that same Yaris on the roads a while back.

It looks crap. Really crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Barry Aldwell
    There's a guy around the corner from me that has a modified Yaris. For a start, it's Pink. He has put a vent in the bonnet. He has replaced the lights with those plastic covers (supposed to make a car look like a TVR, but just makes it look crap). There's a HUGE spoiler on the back, and tinted windows. Finally, ha has lowered the car, and put on large intakes. And to top it off, it sounds like...a bog standard yaris :D
    In a word, "pathetic"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Silverfish
    Can someone explain how a sticker affects performance and safety specs??
    If it obscures too much of a wiindow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Victor
    If it obscures too much of a wiindow.

A mate of mine had one of those air freshners and a few bits a pieces hanging from his rear view mirror..

When he came to a garda checkpoint one day, just checking tax and insurance and that sort of thing one day, the garda told him to remove all the stuff from his rear view mirror as is was a safety hazzard and it affected his vision..

Also cautioned him that if he saw it again, he would fine him.

So they do take things like that seriously enuff..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    But where do you draw the line?

Why should I spend 25 quid on a peugeot oil filter when I can buy a bosch one for 12?

(I don't actually know how much the filter would cost from the peugeot parts counter, but hopefully you get the idea)

It's the same thing when you think about it, not manufacturer approved (plus there's prolly a whole industry related to neon oil filters)

I replaced my brake pads last year with non peugeot parts.
    I could just as easily have bought me a set of EBC green stuff pads (would've, but I was broke)

I fitted them myself. I'm more than capable of this operation, why should I have to pay an approved peugeot dealer to fit approved peugeot parts to a car that's outside it's warranty?

Most cars that are out of warranty are not serviced using original manufacturer parts, does that mean my monroe shocks would need to be tested by a certified engineer too.

how heavily modified does the car need to be before you think it should be inspected?

alloys ok, but filter and exhaust bad?

Modifed cars are a fact of life. If a car is modified and holds a valid NCT then the owner has done his bit within the law.

whether you like them or not (most of the time I don't, but I only like the really nicely done jobs) modified cars have as much right to be on the road as any other car. stupid drivers (be they of modified chariot or not) don't

John

Using replacement parts from a recognised manufacturer is fine. The vast majority of the time, the manufacturer labelled parts are made by the likes of Bosch, Monroe, etc. These are standard parts, just made by different manufacturers to the car manufacturer's specifications.

The stuff I have a problem with is parts that are not to the manufacturer's original specification. I believe there should be far more stringent controls on the supply and fitment of these parts, since they alter the behaviour of the car from the manufacturer's original specification.

As for carrying out work on the vehicle, I can accept that there are a great many highly competent 'amateur' mechanics out there, but equally there are many complete muppets who are only likely to make their car more dangerous. Cars are becoming increasingly complex, and it's becoming increasingly for the amateur with a socket set to look after a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

I believe there should be far more stringent controls on the supply and fitment of these parts, since they alter the behaviour of the car from the manufacturer's original specification.

by controls i hope ya mean more along the lines of testing the alterations as opposed to not allowing or only allowing certain people to alter their vechicles. cos the second one would be complete bull****.

Advertisement