Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An asteroid hitting earth

Options
  • 01-04-2003 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

now this is not a joke! i was wondering what are the odds of this happening?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Well it depends on which asteroid!

It's possible to calculate the probability for specific asteroids. For example the asteroid that was going to hit us in 2019 if i remember correctly had an insignificant chance of hitting us. It was only hyped by the media.

What you may or may not know is that asteroids do hit all the time. They just vary in size. The large, global killers, hit once every 100,000 years on average. That'll give you a bit of an idea.

I don't remember all the statistics in general. I wrote the feature article on it in Astronomy & Space Magazine September 2002 issue. That had all the details in it. I'm sure you won't have much trouble finding the details on the internet though. Try Google!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Agar

You have a greater chance of being hit by a falling asteroid than you have of winning the National Lottery. Indeed you have a greater chance of being killed by a number 16 Dublin Bus going the wrong way down a one-way street in Cork than you have of winning the Lottery, but go figure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Agar

Go straight to skyandtelescope.com, or try astronomydaily.com They are the two best general interest astronomy sites on the net. If you can't find it there, you'll find it through their links pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

Time to build that bunker I always dreamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

As i understand it, they say what killed the Dinosaurs was a once in a hundred million chance. Shame really, would have loved to play poker against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

As i understand it, they say what killed the Dinosaurs was a once in a hundred million chance. Shame really, would have loved to play poker against them.

Well, there you go. Just wait for the next one-in-one-hundred-million chance to come along. Don't hold your breath ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As i understand it, they say what killed the Dinosaurs was a once in a hundred million chance.

That's sort of meaningless - what constitutes a chance? Is each minute a chance? Each hour? Each human lifetime? Needs units.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Depends on the timescale, OP. Ultimately, the odds are 1:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

endacl wrote: »
    Depends on the timescale, OP. Ultimately, the odds are 1:1.

No, not necessarily. It might never happen, given a finite timescale, and sometime in that finite time, the odds could perhaps change to "given the current situation, it isn't possible".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Time to build that bunker I always dreamed of.

13 year thread bump!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Advertisement