Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot disk failure

• 01-04-2003 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

a friend of mine installed windows xp the other day [after getting one of those system upgrades in compustore,new mobo,proc,memory etc]now the harddrive was his old one a IBM 75gxp and he turned it on today and got the following message "boot disk error please insert boot disk..." can i blame the "click of death" problem that IBM drives suffer from or does anyone else have any other explanation??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is the HDD seen by the bios (setup) ?
    Are they the same settings the drive was formatted under...

Boot from a floppy or CD into a dos prompt and
    FDISK /STATUS to check if drive can be recognised
    Again from the boot disk can you see the C: ?

Don't know too much about XP (don't really want to know) - but I take it XP was installed after the upgrade....

Advertisement