Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AA or RAC? Opinions Please...

Options
  • 01-04-2003 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am thinking of joining either the AA or the RAC and I have no idea who to go for! Basic RAC is €80 and the AA is €99. Both seem to have similiar benefits however as with everything, it comes down to actual incidents and experiences so if anyone wants to share some (both companies), be they good bad or indifferent that would go a long way to making my mind up :)

For people who are going to say it's a waste money; I've had one too many close calls and actual breakdowns which have ended up costing me a fortune in towing, scrappage etc... :eek:

So... Who should I spend my hard-earned :rolleyes: cash on???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I'm about to go with the RAC, but mostly because they've cheap deal for IEI members.

Though the fact that they're a club, and the AA is now a business has influenced me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Young Sid

I went for the AA mainly because they cover you no matter what you're driving. RAC cover only specified vehicle.

Only had to use then once when bike went tits up, got it recovered & delivered to location of my choice with no bother.

It's like insurance, pain in the ass paying for it - until you need it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you have a single bike only, I would go with the RAC...

I had an absolute disaster with the AA, when I crashed my bike..
    They left me on the side of the road for four hours waiting, blood pumping from my legs. Eventually, they refused to take me to my desired destination (which was exactly 8.5 miles away - they insisted that it was more than 15 miles away).

So I told them to fup off, and rang the motorcycle recovery service, who picked me up within the hour..

However, they have sorted out my wife's car on a number of occasions, so, as I said, if you have just a car, or several vehicles, then I would endorse the AA. If you only have a motorcycle, RAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I used the RAC. Pretty useless. They use local contractors and you get thru to a uk call centre where they dont have a clue of how to deal with us Irish customers. AA are much better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Is it true that if you break down and you have somebody in your car who is a member of the AA you can call them out to fix your car ???

Heard it in a pub a few days ago and thought it must be bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭jamesd

Do either of them cover your car/car's if you are in Europe on Holiday and if you break down in Europe what happens about getting the car home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Young Sid

Is it true that if you break down and you have somebody in your car who is a member of the AA you can call them out to fix your car ???

AA cover you, not the car. So long as you have your membership card, or membership number & photo ID, & you ring in, who's to say you weren't driving the car?
    Do either of them cover your car/car's if you are in Europe on Holiday and if you break down in Europe what happens about getting the car home?

Standard AA membership covers Ireland & UK. If you are going to EU you pay a supplementary before going, covers you for a fixed period. Depending on your level of cover it could include replacement car hire/accomodation & recovery of car home if required.

Advertisement