Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re: mallicious calls - eircom

Options
  • 01-04-2003 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am not sure this is posted in the right place - if not please move.

My parents have been receiving crank calls from a unknown number, they are with eircom and have tried to complain but got no where.

What can they do next?

any help is appreciated,

tks

neo :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

How about the police??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Make a log of the dates and times of the calls. When we went through it I called the number near the front of the phonebook (there's a specific number for malicious calls in one of the Eircom service numbers sections) they'll give you advice on what to do.

One of the things I recall being told to do was to answer the phone but not say anything upon doing so - wait for the caller to say something first. If you do say hello or whatever, only say it once, (don't do the hello, hello, HELLO? thing)

It's the reaction they call back for. If they don't get one, they'll get bored. Not knowing who answers your phone will put them off a bit too.

Let everyone in the house know what to do.

OK, so you have callerID. But the number is only withheld from you, not Eircom. Eircom have a legal right (AFAIK) to track malicious calls.

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, the number is a pre-recorded message.
    Malicious calls bureau 1800 689 689

Hope that helps.
    Good luck

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Thanks for the advice I will pass it on,

I have already told my parents to answer but say nothing and they have said that who ever is dialing isnt saying anything either.

Hopefully it will get sorted

tks

neo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

On a standard PSTN phoneline, dialing 1471 will tell you the number, but if it's blocked it will say the number was unknown.
    Doesn't work on an ISDN line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

You can get Caller Id's in most electrical stores,then when you see the number report it to the police or start playing crank phone calls on them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

This has happened a few people i know,after hours probably isnt the place for this maybe a mod can throw it into net-comms? or somewhere.afaik you next step is to contact the garda and keep a record of when these calls are happening,will probably make tracking easier anyways hope they the the muppet prank calls are really irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Answer the phone and say nothing. If they continue to not say anything, breathe a little down the phone so the guy is nice and close and then let off a rape alarm beside the mouthpiece.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We had this problem which got so bad that we had to change our number twice.Even when the number was changed the calls were still happening so the guards thought it was a friend/relative since they had our new numbers as well.
    They told us to tell everyone we knew that there was a trace being put on the line within say a week(spoofing of course)and the calls stopped in a day or two.Ive still no idea who it was but it was obviously a friend/relation.

If I were you Id tell everyone that I knew that the guards were putting a trace on the line and see if the calls stop.
    If they dont then the guards WILL put a trace on the line but it costs a few quid if I can remember since they have to get a court order to put the trace on.
    Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

moved.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I bet you get a hugh power trip by typing the word moved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by TomTom
    I bet you get a hugh power trip by typing the word moved?

Cop on, would ya?

Dustaz - the rape alarm thing is a great idea! I think it'd scare off a lot of prank callers, getting a blast of one of those down the phone

Advertisement