Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL and IRC and CENSORSHIP

Options
  • 23-03-1998 8:25pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well I have just finished trying to argue a point about censorship with an IRC OP called
    Niall who completely refused to answer any question regarding what the IOL rules regarding
    correct behaviour were. He claimed that he didn't know and that an IRC OP called ratbag was the
    person to ask. This did not stop him from k-lining DEATH *while I was asking him about this*

My point is two fold:
    1. How can we abide by restrictions if we are not aware of them.
    Thats rather like being asked to walk through a minefield blindfolded.

2. How can Niall enforce rules he himself admits he doesn't fully understand.

We have a new IRC server now.
    IRC.QUAKE.IE

The problem is that we will have people on both
    irc.quake.ie and irc.iol.ie.... hence we will miss
    each other and the community loses as a whole.

Solution: IRC CHANGE DAY!!!!

I proposed that Saturday week (4th of April)
    be designated LETS LEAVE IOL AND THEIR STUPID FASCIST IRCOPS BEHIND day.

On that day we drop IOL and they're rediculous ego-inflated overzealous hitler-youth IRCOPS
    (except Shiva who is actually a decent skin) and switch to IRC.QUAKE.IE,
    never to darken IOLs door again.

Any objections...

DeVore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Obi

no offence but shut UP!
    I tried quake.ie once and it was lagged to hell.
    irc.iol.ie is fine as long as you dont offend two people - Niall and Shy-guy
    is that so hard?
    obi

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

: no offence but shut UP!
    : I tried quake.ie once and it was lagged to hell.
    : irc.iol.ie is fine as long as you dont offend two people - Niall and Shy-guy
    : is that so hard?
    : obi

Um, I avoid irc.iol.ie usually, because a lot of the times I go there half
    the people on #quake are having a HILARIOUS time giving each other ops,
    taking ops, banning people that disagree with then, opping people who tell
    a good joke, getting into slagging matches and then banning someone at random
    after five minutes because "its great crack". Um, I though #quake was for
    talking about quake, so maybe it would be a good idea to move somewhere
    where there are less silly poeple with ops. Although I could be wrong again.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

: Solution: IRC CHANGE DAY!!!!

: I proposed that Saturday week (4th of April)
    : be designated LETS LEAVE IOL AND THEIR STUPID FASCIST IRCOPS BEHIND day.

: On that day we drop IOL and they're rediculous ego-inflated overzealous hitler-youth IRCOPS
    : (except Shiva who is actually a decent skin) and switch to IRC.QUAKE.IE,
    : never to darken IOLs door again.
    : Any objections... DeVore.

Excellent idea Tom. I think a vote thingy should be done to vote in IRC-cops for irc.quake.ie. Certain ppl like Shiva and MP etc., should be in unconditionally and a few more voted in. Good thinking Dev.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

: : no offence but shut UP!
    : : I tried quake.ie once and it was lagged to hell.
    : : irc.iol.ie is fine as long as you dont offend two people - Niall and Shy-guy
    : : is that so hard?
    : : obi

: so maybe it would be a good idea to move somewhere
    : where there are less silly poeple with ops. Although I could be wrong again.

: Dermot

Obi, we tried out irc.quake.ie and it's grand.
    If anything it's LESS laggy then iol, even Alan who
    was dubious about it agrees it's fine.

As for ops. Yes I agree, fewer more trustworthy ppl
    with chanserv ops (or even Quaker back, who I actually liked :) )
    I know this is going to be a pain
    but if you had heard what Niall was saying about the future
    policing of #Quake today YOU'D want to change too.

One last move, to our own server. It's worth it.

Sat 4th April. Spread the word.

DeVore.

: Um, I avoid irc.iol.ie usually, because a lot of the times I go there half
    : the people on #quake are having a HILARIOUS time giving each other ops,
    : taking ops, banning people that disagree with then, opping people who tell
    : a good joke, getting into slagging matches and then banning someone at random
    : after five minutes because "its great crack". Um, I though #quake was for
    : talking about quake, so maybe it would be a good idea to move somewhere

errr wake up u fool :) Shiva fixed #quake during the weekend so only people on the auto ops list can get op's. No one can give ops to people not on that list now.

As for this correct behaviour stuff. Well most of us are adults and who has the right to tell us what we can say and what we can't say ? iol have to wake up and notice that things move on and advance outside their own little warped heads of the 1720's. I'll be moving to irc.quake.ie and will be getting rid of my iol account soon. At least on irc.quake.ie we will be able to speak without some bot with a higher i.q. than all of the iol staff put together.
    -bubbles

• Advertisement

but will this affect iqcl as it is scheduled to be on irc.iol.ie ?
    probably a stupid question :)

Johno

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Well I'll be on my merry way to irc.quake.ie for sure. IOL seem to habe plans to put in a very strick language policy into the main channels on irc.iol.ie "#Quake #Morgue #lobby" be it with bots or big brothers like Niall and ShyGuy. I think with the right ppl irc.quake.ie will prove to be very successful.

SB...

: Well I have just finished trying to argue a point about censorship with an IRC OP called
    : Niall who completely refused to answer any question regarding what the IOL rules regarding
    : correct behaviour were. He claimed that he didn't know and that an IRC OP called ratbag was the
    : person to ask. This did not stop him from k-lining DEATH *while I was asking him about this*

: My point is two fold:
    : 1. How can we abide by restrictions if we are not aware of them.
    : Thats rather like being asked to walk through a minefield blindfolded.

: 2. How can Niall enforce rules he himself admits he doesn't fully understand.

:
    : We have a new IRC server now.
    : IRC.QUAKE.IE

: The problem is that we will have people on both
    : irc.quake.ie and irc.iol.ie.... hence we will miss
    : each other and the community loses as a whole.

: On that day we drop IOL and they're rediculous ego-inflated overzealous hitler-youth IRCOPS

: Any objections...

: DeVore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Death

I AM A INNOCENT VICTEM hehe BASTERDS

It's got my vote.

: : irc.iol.ie is fine as long as you dont offend two people - Niall and Shy-guy

: after five minutes because "its great crack".

well gee is that all? Now I go on pretty regularly in the alte evenings and YES you 're right this can happen on occasion. But it really is quite rare IMHO.

: Um, I though #quake was for

you are:)
    obi

• Advertisement

: : : no offence but shut UP!
    : : : I tried quake.ie once and it was lagged to hell.
    : : : irc.iol.ie is fine as long as you dont offend two people - Niall and Shy-guy
    : : : is that so hard?
    : : : obi

: : so maybe it would be a good idea to move somewhere
    : : where there are less silly poeple with ops. Although I could be wrong again.

: : Dermot

:
    : Obi, we tried out irc.quake.ie and it's grand.
    : If anything it's LESS laggy then iol, even Alan who
    : was dubious about it agrees it's fine.

Maybe. I only tried it once weeks ago and it was lagged to hell.

: As for ops. Yes I agree, fewer more trustworthy ppl
    : with chanserv ops (or even Quaker back, who I actually liked :) )
    : I know this is going to be a pain
    : but if you had heard what Niall was saying about the future
    : policing of #Quake today YOU'D want to change too.

Isn 't that my line? Niall is a moron who comes up with the dumbest of rules. So what does everybody do? Did we all stop swearing when he introduced that?
    Changing IRC server is a big big messy procedure and a pain thats just not worth the hassle.

Obi
    : One last move, to our own server. It's worth it.

: Sat 4th April. Spread the word.

: DeVore.

: : : : no offence but shut UP!
    : : : : I tried quake.ie once and it was lagged to hell.
    : : : : irc.iol.ie is fine as long as you dont offend two people - Niall and Shy-guy
    : : : : is that so hard?
    : : : : obi

: : : so maybe it would be a good idea to move somewhere
    : : : where there are less silly poeple with ops. Although I could be wrong again.

: : : Dermot

: :
    : : Obi, we tried out irc.quake.ie and it's grand.
    : : If anything it's LESS laggy then iol, even Alan who
    : : was dubious about it agrees it's fine.

: Maybe. I only tried it once weeks ago and it was lagged to hell.

: : As for ops. Yes I agree, fewer more trustworthy ppl
    : : with chanserv ops (or even Quaker back, who I actually liked :) )
    : : I know this is going to be a pain
    : : but if you had heard what Niall was saying about the future
    : : policing of #Quake today YOU'D want to change too.

: Isn 't that my line? Niall is a moron who comes up with the dumbest of rules. So what does everybody do? Did we all stop swearing when he introduced that?
    : Changing IRC server is a big big messy procedure and a pain thats just not worth the hassle.

: Obi
    : : One last move, to our own server. It's worth it.

: : Sat 4th April. Spread the word.

: : DeVore.

Ahh well Obi if you want to be on your own on irc.iol.ie #Quake be my guest but I reakon come April 4th the majority of Irish Quakers will be on irc.quake.ie.

Ohhh and we're renaming irc.iol.ie#Quake to irc.iol.ie#Muppet_Quake.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

: Ahh well Obi if you want to be on your own on irc.iol.ie #Quake be my guest but I reakon come April 4th the majority of Irish Quakers will be on irc.quake.ie.

: Ohhh and we're renaming irc.iol.ie#Quake to irc.iol.ie#Muppet_Quake.

: Gandalf.

As long as everyone agrees to move I don't see a problem. What I do see is though IOL taking back over the #Quake channel and removing any messages we leave saying that all Irish Quake players should go to irc.quake.ie . They have done it before.

Hobbes.

: As long as everyone agrees to move I don't see a problem. What I do see is though IOL taking back over the #Quake channel and removing any messages we leave saying that all Irish Quake players should go to irc.quake.ie . They have done it before.

: Hobbes.

Yeah I agree I do think that our "friends" in IOL will remove messages from #"Muppet_"quake telling everyone to go to irc.quake.ie. I think that Quake.ie & Qamex should start to advertise the Existance of irc.quake.ie a little more.

For my part I will put details about it in the Mainpage of my Homepage, and if everyone does the same we can get it extablished as the main Quake chat room in Ireland quite quickly.

Thats all for now,

Gandalf.

FFS!
    I 'm stating opinion and now I 'm a muppet?
    whos the fascists here?
    obi

hi,

I would like to clarify some points here. I am the IRCop in question.

: Well I have just finished trying to argue a point about censorship with an IRC OP called
    : Niall who completely refused to answer any question regarding what the IOL rules regarding
    : correct behaviour were. He claimed that he didn't know and that an IRC OP called ratbag was the
    : person to ask. This did not stop him from k-lining DEATH *while I was asking him about this*

1. Why should I have answered your questions ? U were flooding, shouting and being abusive. I dont answer people who act like children.
    2. I do know about the rule. If you cant understand a simple rule like " no swearing " then I think IRC is 2 complicated for you.
    3. Ratbag is the IRC corrdinator, which means she deals with complaints like this. I dont have to explain the rules everytime i come onto IRC. I am the technical admin and deal with technical complaints such as bot errors, code errors bugs etc.

Stupid fasict IRCOPS ? they're rediculous ego-inflated overzealous hitler-youth.

My point exactly. If you cant talk in a civil manner then there is no point in discussing the matter.

If somebody that uses #quake on iol would like to talk about this privately I would be happy to do so. Seems like Death and Devore cant do this without being abusive and uncivilized.

Niall.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

: hi,

: I would like to clarify some points here. I am the IRCop in question.

:
    : : Well I have just finished trying to argue a point about censorship with an IRC OP called
    : : Niall who completely refused to answer any question regarding what the IOL rules regarding
    : : correct behaviour were. He claimed that he didn't know and that an IRC OP called ratbag was the
    : : person to ask. This did not stop him from k-lining DEATH *while I was asking him about this*

: 1. Why should I have answered your questions ? U were flooding, shouting and being abusive. I dont answer people who act like children.

This is the reason why we are leaving. The whole sentence sums it up.
    "Why should I explain myself to you little people."
    I was not shouting or flooding (except to get your attention at one point)
    and I was CERTAINLY not being abusive or you would no doubt
    have gleefully kicked me.

I asked pointed questions to which you had no answer and so promptly ignored me.

: If somebody that uses #quake on iol would like to talk about this privately I would be happy to do so. Seems like Death and Devore cant do this without being abusive and uncivilized.

: Niall.

You would not answer my questions when I directed them at you in an open channel and
    in a civil way. Your attitude (as many will testify) was aloof and extremely high handed.
    I am not known for abusive language but if my description of you stings perhaps it's
    closer to the truth then you would care to admit.

DeVore.

Niall,

I know DeVore well enough to know that he doesn't talk crap, if he has a point to make its normally valid. The Internet of which IRC is a component is a forum where free speech should be encouraged not for a over zealous employee of an ISP to K-line people at his pleasure.
    Do me a favour Niall, post the log of what Death said of did to warrant him being k-lined and maybe you can post Devs reaction so we can decide if it was unreasonable.

Thats all for now,

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

: FFS!
    : I 'm stating opinion and now I 'm a muppet?
    : whos the fascists here?
    : obi

Hurdy burdy, de onions, de turrrnip etc etc.

Leave us muppets alone, FFS.

: after five minutes because "its great crack". Um, I though #quake was for

• Advertisement
Advertisement