Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling stuff on-line

Options
  • 02-04-2003 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine makes garden sheds. He would like to get a website.

However, I would like him to try and sell on-line in another way without paying out all the money on paying for a website.

he wants me to make the website, but i dont want to make a website and then he turns around in afew months and says "Why isnt he making any money on the website". Friends and business is ALWAYS A BAD IDEA

IMHO I cant see anyone paying out to buy a garden shed on line.

So has anyone got ideas on how he can try and sell on line withoout getting a website?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Upload the sheds to a webserver and let people pay for access using Paypal.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I'm not a big shed purchaser myself, but I think there is a question mark over exactly how many "desparate for a shed" web surfers there are out there.

Actually, in an effort to avoid doing a nasty bit of code, I just checked on Overture. They reckon there were 49 searches for "garden shed ireland" in February, so maybe there is an untapped market..

I would recommend a simple web site and see how that goes first. Walk before you run etc.

Which brings me to an enquiry I had about someone asking about selling online.
    They made headstones.

I kid you not..

R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Tell Him to get a real job like selling sock puppets online,you could make a fortune as i believe theres a very large American market for them.

im so full of shìt:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

You could try ebay Ireland, or Buyandsell.net

but you sould just make a quick site, like a few pictures and rough prices. and some contact info. would take about 1 hour max, if you need a hand PM me

Regards
    David.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Is he going to be able to deal with responses nationwide...?
    If he is in Donegal and won't deliver outside the county then there's hardly much point in a website... much better advertise via local radio.
    In Dublin maybe it might make some sense...

See http://www.gardensheds.ie
    They don't take orders directly but have an enquiry form.
    I reckon an enquiry via email/form and basic details is ok... no need for e-commerce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If your friend is serious about it then I wish them the best of luck.
    Apart from the obvious issues regarding the payment processing (SSL/CC processor etc) the main problem could be the delivery. Garden sheds are rather big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Something like a garden shed is hard to sell online, but a website consisting of pictures of his work would be a good idea. If he is thinking of branching out into lets say garden tools, then, yes go for an e-commerce type site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭irlhost

Your friend should start with a basic website and then see how many hits he gets. From that he can think about selling online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by NeVeR
    You could try ebay Ireland, or Buyandsell.net

By the way, it's probably worth mentioning that the URL of Ebay Ireland is www.ebayireland.com and NOT www.ebay.ie (it seems that eBid - a rival of theirs - got to ebay.ie first... must have set up a trading name I guess...)

Advertisement