Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eMachines memory problems

• 02-04-2003 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

eMachines (Taiwanese) eMonster 800, 64MB DIMM with second slot free. Manufacturer state max of 256MB, but in theory machine should take 2 x 256MB DIMM's. Have tried various combinations of 128 and 256mb DIMM's, but any configuration exceeding 128MB causes machine to crash/hang at will. Memory is 64bit SDRAM CL2 at 100Mhz. Anyone had any joy with these machines, especially in finding memory that works? The modules I have been trying are varients of Kingston KVR100X64C2 which are recommended for this machine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech. Read the hw tweaking charter! It's there for a reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

BIOS update?

what chipset is used on the board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Bios is Phoenix. Have done a bit more research and system board is an Anaheim3 which seems to have a history of this problem. Have tried various Anaheim3 Bios upgrades but none are successful. Have finally worked out that the board will take a maximum of 128mb in any config (slots or DIMM's used doesn't matter). Anything above this will cause random locking/crashing.
    Another one marked down to experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This will be no help, sorry but i was told before that E-Machines are very difficult to upgrade. Sorry, maybe its just hear say but from taking a look at once, it was a pile of shíte and not a computer at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by Saruman
    This will be no help, sorry but i was told before that E-Machines are very difficult to upgrade. Sorry, maybe its just hear say but from taking a look at once, it was a pile of shíte and not a computer at all.

I tried eMachines in the US and they said that European support is handled by "Dixons", no less. Still, next time he buys a PC he might ask beforehand. This thing makes Gateway's and Dell's a pleasure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement