Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Step Foward and Two Steps Back!

Options
  • 02-04-2003 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Just as soon as it seems that we are finally accepting the same standards that exist throughout most of Europe regarding Licensing Law this s**t happens!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0402/alcohol.html

Yet again a government sponsored commission has decided that the majority of Irish people are senseless alcoholics who would go into a pub for a drink at any given opportunity, thus grinding the country to a halt!

This would give the Licensed Vintners Association yet another excuse to up the price of drink because the hours in which they are trading would be restricted.

I suppose the fact that the report proposes that Off-Licences should be allowed to sell alcohol on a Sunday morning is one step away from the Catholic Church Run system we give out about so much.

I firmly believe that any trader in any area of commerce should be permitted to trade 24 hours a day 365 days a year if he/she wishes to.

What do yawl think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

They can't do this to me!

I'm only in first year college i havent had a chance!!

This is rediculous Thursday night student nights will become a thing of myth and legend.

Why wont they think of the children!

Seriously though if it's going to be left up to county coucils/local authorities to determine individual pub opening hours the it'll be a case of who can fill the biggest brown envelope. The gardai will obviously be more critical of pubs/clubs which have a high proportion of younger patrons meaning that all will suffer as a result of the immature/irresponsible actions of a minority.

Who determines what promotion of heavy drinking is?
    Does Alcahol advertisement within a licensed premisis constitute promotion of heavy drinking?

I think this is the governments way of incresing revenue through tax on alcahol as they know publicans will charge more for the drink but also people will probably drink more in a shorter space of time to ensure they get their usual "dosage"

Student bars will probably find it extremely difficult to get licences too as they're notorious for promoting alcahol consumption etc.

Em.... yea in the words of Forrest Gump...
    "that's all i have to say about that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Wools

'The report says entertainment should be banned during the last half-hour of drinking up time and that the use of drunkenness as a defence in public order cases should also be looked at.'

The last half hour of Drinking-Up time? Does this mean bands etc will have to finish a half an hour before closing time? That wouldnt work. My band f.uckin relies on people being extra-drunk, so that they think theyre having a good time, and that we're a half-decent band:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

I'm doing my thesis on branding and drink consumption in Ireland and after all my intial research is that the governement must be a load of alco's.

Cause as students they must have done this as well. Once they admit they used to drink themselve into a stuper then i'll let them change the rules.

About curbing super-pubs, its the governments fault for allowing a 200 year law dictate pub licensing that we have them in the first place. I think that is against the free market to institute laws like size of establishment.

Les a faire, let the market decide not bertie the fecking beamish drinker.

What does he know about fun anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭palmic

if they go ahead with closing 11.30 on thurs and if they then do a whole shake up on fridays and sats..the only people who will win out is clubland and well have to go out and spend some ****ed up money to stay drinking for another two hours all over again damn right coz a ****ed up idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"the Gardaí should be allowed to object to the renewal of licences for pubs or clubs that promote excessive drinking."

This is bollocks. Gives the gardai a nice chance for a bit of corruption/bribe-taking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

right!!! thats it, i'm moving to south africa were the pubs don't even have a "closed" sign....

Advertisement