Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another transfering college thread

Options
  • 02-04-2003 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Im in 2nd yr in Computing Information Systems in Tallaght IT, orignally i wanted to go to dcu but alas being the lazy sod i am i didnt get enough points. Im thinking of transfering to dcu comp applications after this year. I presume i wouldnt have to go back to first year because the courses are v.smiliar. I dont want to go into 3rd yr because i havent done any work this year (<20% attendence first semester) and i mightnt get the gpa needed to get qualify for a diploma. Need 2.75 i got 2.55 for 1st semester, so i need 2.95 this semester which i reckon ill get and if i didnt id just do a repeat/qualfier in summer, but even if i got 3.5 this semester i still dont want to go into 3rd yr (if i transfer to dcu), im not ready for the serious increase in workload involved in 3rd year with regards programming.

So im wondering could i transfer into 2nd yr and continue doing Information Systems or chooose one of the other stems in comp applications, Computer science or Software engineering?

So some advice would be nice about how to go about transfering colleges etc and is it possible to go straight into 2nd yr or 3rd yr (even tho i dont want to go into 3rd yr). I hope its not too late because diploma applications in Tallaght were due in earlier this week. What would be the situation with fees? And what was the points last yr for the course?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

best bet is to talk to your education officer in the SU.
    i think its Layne

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Laynes the welfare officer, Gearoid is the education officer, Either of them will help you out

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

I think headcase hit in on the head. u should be realy posiong this question to the ppl in ur college. I'm on a networking course (cert, 2 year course and i'm in 1st) and i am transfaring onto another netwoking course but I have to take on 2 subjects and get a merret in all 8 subjects to pass to 2nd of the other course. I think all colleges have a different policy.

I know my situation is different but I think it might not be as flexible as u seem to think it might be, u should ask though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Sometimes even transferring courses within a College can be awkward so inter college transfers will being a new set of problems. As mentioned above your best bet is to talk to your SU education officer as they will know who you should talk to and may even have prior experience in dealing with these transfers. They'll also have contact information for people in DCU who could get the lowdown for you on that side.

I doubt that you'll be able to jump directly from year to year. If you're in luck you might be able to skip first year of the course you're going into.

Advertisement