Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Israeli Question

Options
  • 02-04-2003 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

The Israeli Question:

A people canonized by a book as continually persecuted, yet also implicit in the murder of Christ. The spread of the Jewish diaspora across Europe over the next 2000 years leads many in Poland and Holland, places where their strange arcane ways are tolerated. Many grow to occupy positions of importance, ie Doctors, Merchants, Government Officials, but always they are separate from society. An unusual language, religious ritual and of course the fact, that like the Gypsies, they had no homeland as such.

Come the 2nd World War and the terrible anti-semitism that brought Hitler to power culminates in 6 million people being murdered by the Nazis. With the 1922 Balfour declaration in place, the Israeli state is set up in 1948, with heavy subsidy from the USA, to allow 4 million or so Jews to settle in their homeland at the unfortunate expense of the Palestinians. Cue the Middle East crisis. Israel is at times an expansionist aggressor acting without UN authorisation to defeat countries and organisations that they feel are a threat to their security.

But are they really allowed to be there? The assassination of Rabin in 1995 is one of the biggest tragedies the region has suffered in the last 50 years. With Sharon in power, the settlement plans will continue.

Comments

Israel is at times an expansionist aggressor acting without UN authorisation to defeat countries and organisations that they feel are a threat to their security.

I don't really see to much difference between what Israel is doing, and what the US is currently doing, myself. Since the US is definetly going to get away with it, i assume Israel will also.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And your point is? I think we all know the history, you don't seem to being bringing anything new to the debate.

Advertisement