Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Exclusive: Half-Life 2 to be nVidia-only game!

Options
  • 02-04-2003 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

from spong.com
    We can reveal that Valve is currently looking at making its massively anticipated FPS sequel Half-Life 2 exclusive to nVidia graphics cards, in what will be the first deal of its kind in the PC gaming sector.

This massive story comes from insiders at nVidia, who are boasting that this will be the first of many such deals for exclusive content, bespoke to its cards.

We have been aware for some time that both ATi and nVidia have been courting the publishers and developers of AAA PC games, trying to gain card-exclusivity.

“You will see a massive change in the structure of the PC games industry in the next few months, with the first batch of announcements hitting at E3,” one insider told us. “Instead of being referred to as PC gaming, you will become an nVidia or ATi gamer, as distinct as Sony and Nintendo.”

thats a disgrace if you ask me, people who spend lots of their hard earned money only to be told you have to buy their product to play a game,,

i hope this is a late april fools day joke, (if it is - please ignore :p )

really puts people in two minds now as to which games are card exclusives,

at least the rich kids can swap cards for each game !

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Hmm wasnt Half-life 2 a april fools joke a few years ago...?

I really dont believe a games publisher would stake a single PC game to one set of graphics cards.....

if there was a set of games then i'd consider it but....

imho april fool o'neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

They've taken it to a single OS, and a rubbish one at that...

It wouldn't really surprise me, but it would certainly anger me.
    Hmm wasnt Half-life 2 a april fools joke a few years ago...?

Don't tell me there'll never be a Half Life 2? Say it ain't so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Well there has been stuff coming from microsoft saying they want to change the whole structure of pc games.
    some of the changes proposed are a move to dvd-rom for all titles, no installs, a system reqs system that actually resembles the system reqs for games and a standard joypad/joystick for the pc. it would make sense that gfx card exclusive game may stem from that.

that said it seems like a very stupid and not funny april fools. the duke nukem forever one was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What was the Duke Nukem Forever one? ...that it's actually ever going to be released?

I really hope that news is bs. Would be fu(king awful :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

This was on Spong.com. Therefore it's fairly safe to say that it's utter rubbish.

(By the way, the whole concept that someone will become an ATI or an NVIDIA gamer in future is utterly laughable. I find it hard to believe that the idiot at Spong actually heard this from an "insider" - it sounds like he made it up himself on the spot, like a fair number of their "stories".)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Why would any games company want to do such a thing? Right away you're cutting out a large portion of your potential buyers and unless nvidia were paying huge amounts of money for this deal I can't see it being worth their while.

Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by Shinji
    This was on Spong.com. Therefore it's fairly safe to say that it's utter rubbish.

(By the way, the whole concept that someone will become an ATI or an NVIDIA gamer in future is utterly laughable. I find it hard to believe that the idiot at Spong actually heard this from an "insider" - it sounds like he made it up himself on the spot, like a fair number of their "stories".)

i tend to find spong quite decent regarding news, although no one gets it right all the time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Nope, nobody gets it right all the time and I'm the first to admit that - but rarely does a site get it wrong as consistently as Spong does, while still being so incredibly arrogant about everything he prints.

It's not so much that his news stories are wrong (although this one patently is), as that the schoolboy-level "analysis" he attaches to them is completely out there - you'll get more sensible and educated commentary on most messageboards than you will in those stories. And that's saying something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

you keep referring to he!

is it just one guy or something?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

A few weeks ago a guy on the Gaming-Age forum sent a ficticious email to Spong , something like "Capcom will merge with Konami" or something like that. Spong actually used this email as a story. The guy who sent it took screen snaps of the email and the Spong news story and showed them on the GA message board.

Its no suprise that Spong immediately took down the story when they heard about the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Ah Gaming-age.

A haven of impartial investigators and experts. Wait.... no, that should read fanboys. :rolleyes:

Although I'd be the first to admit that many rumours and conjecture that are posted there turn out to be true. The vast majority of it is absolute crap.

I have very little respect for any publication that uses information e-mailed to them or posted on a message board without first getting confirmation, official or otherwise.

If they did take that story down, it should not be deleted, but an apology or retraction attached. Spong.com is unreliable, they posted every single megaton rumour they could get their hands on and they didn't care if they turned out to be false.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

HL2 would shift a lot of nVidea cards alone if this rumour was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

leys just go with the what if...

If this starts people will have to get two systems(or more!) cos sooner or later it would be nvidia and AMD only or ATI and Intel only. Jesus where would it end ;)

Bull**** imo, only thing i can surmise is that it might be really optimised for nvidia cards and dont work as well on other cards, as features missing etc that the game needs. Even that would be suicide to a games manufacturer.
    You'd be cutting out a huge chunk of your customers. Even if it was a once off, ppl would think twice about buying a future product cos they might not know full story and afraid of getting burnt again (talking about know very little joe soap here).

Advertisement