Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sent by God.

Options
  • 02-04-2003 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know about anyone else but if a person started telling me they were sent by God I'd be a bit freaked out (especially if said person was in a position to **** everything up, eg. Bus Driver).

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-04-01-bush-cover_x.htm
    Bush believes he was called by God to lead the nation at this time, says Commerce Secretary Don Evans, a close friend who talks with Bush every day.

Btw, this isn't the first time the sent by god comment has appeared.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

On a musical note Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was told by god in his dreams to become a Qawwali singer and he turned out pretty darn fine tbh. I would however say that God was having a bit of a joke with Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

It is sad and disturbing to see what might amount to a noble system of religions wasted upon humans. Especially idiots like GWB.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bush is not an expert on military tactics, but he's getting an education from Rumsfeld and Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who was an Air Force combat pilot in Vietnam.
    Hmmm, wasn't Bush an Air National Guard officer? Surely he has done Military Tactics 101?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Victor, where the hell did I say what you have quoted me as saying just out of interest?!?

[Edit] Thank you for changing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Btw, this isn't the first time the sent by god comment has appeared.

Yeah - and there was some article on him posted in here a while ago which also mentioned such wonderful aspects of his personality such as the fact that White House staffers who did not attend bible-readings were frowned upon.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and assumed that non-Christian staffers would be okay if they went to their own religious equivalent, but even still...I came away vaguely disturbed by it.

Its a pity he's not actually Roman Catholic. I can see it now...he'd come out and say "I am doing God's work", and then the Pope would say "I am the infallible voice of God on Earth, and I say that you're talking boll0cks"

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by bonkey
    Yeah - and there was some article on him posted in here a while ago which also mentioned such wonderful aspects of his personality such as the fact that White House staffers who did not attend bible-readings were frowned upon.

That would be this...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5944-618536,00.html
    Staff who do not attend Bible classes are frowned upon. Every morning, Mr Bush, even before taking his wife a cup of coffee, reads a daily devotional prayer from My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers, a First World War Scottish preacher. On the morning he declared war, Mr Bush read: “The final stage in life of faith is the attainment of character . . . a life of walking without fainting.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Its a pity he's not actually Roman Catholic. I can see it now...he'd come out and say "I am doing God's work", and then the Pope would say "I am the infallible voice of God on Earth, and I say that you're talking boll0cks"

jc

I'd pay to see and hear that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

This is one of the things that worries me most about Bush. He has a very born-again, evangelical-Protestant sense of right and wrong, and of good and evil, in that something is either one or the other with little or no shades of grey between.

So, for example, Saddam Hussein is Evil and thus Must Be Destroyed*. But I suspect he didn't work out for himself that Saddam was Evil; it's more likely that somebody told him. So what if someone tells him or he decides of his own accord that the Syrians or Iranians are evil? Then they Must Be Destroyed, or else he'd be letting God down.

I don't think this is even a question of the 'Bush is dumb' argument. It's not necessary for him to be dumb, he's a Bible Freak, which is much worse.

*I was going to say 'Smoten' but then realised that I had only picked that up from the Simpsons, and that the past participle of 'smite' was more likely to be 'smitten', which sounds somehow inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

jc
    But Blair is a catholic and he ignored his boss, the pope. He should be excommunicated. Or sectioned. There's yet another article in the guardian concerned with his mental health.

If Saddam is so "evil' then Bush Blair etc must be the opposite ie, "good", and the more he's demonized, the more righteous they believe themselves to be, to the point where they've probably convinced themselves that the lies and deceptions used to justify this "moral" war are actually truths.

US soldiers in Iraq asked to pray for Bush

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Von
    But Blair is a catholic and he ignored his boss,
    Isn't Blair CoE? I know he has a lot of Catholic links (grandmother, wife, Sunday mass with the kids).
    US soldiers in Iraq asked to pray for Bush
    Do they mean in the way that people ask us to pray for the sick? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Originally posted by Victor
    Isn't Blair CoE? I know he has a lot of Catholic links (grandmother, wife, Sunday mass with the kids).
    Ah, you're right. He ignored his wife's boss then. Excommunicate Cherie please mister Pope?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Pray that the President and his advisers will seek God and his wisdom daily and not rely on their own understanding

Oh maybe they could could change the name from "Operation Iraqi Freedom to "The Fourth Crusade"(The Christians are back and this time they mean business!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Originally posted by shotamoose
    This is one of the things that worries me most about Bush. He has a very born-again, evangelical-Protestant sense of right and wrong, and of good and evil, in that something is either one or the other with little or no shades of grey between.

So, for example, Saddam Hussein is Evil and thus Must Be Destroyed*. But I suspect he didn't work out for himself that Saddam was Evil; it's more likely that somebody told him. So what if someone tells him or he decides of his own accord that the Syrians or Iranians are evil? Then they Must Be Destroyed, or else he'd be letting God down.

I don't think this is even a question of the 'Bush is dumb' argument. It's not necessary for him to be dumb, he's a Bible Freak, which is much worse.
    I’m not so sure he’s a Bible-freak in reality as he is in White House iconography. I’m much more scared by Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and Perle; they’re conservative political realists who know how to tug at the bell-strings of the Bible Belt as much as characters like Jerry Fallwell knows how to pull at their knackers. I think Bush is more like Steve Martin’s character in The Jerk: strolling around the White House in a robe and slippers, infatuated with his own status, followed around by a bunch of racist vultures instructing him what to do abd secretly ripping him off. “Ah, yes, depreciation, good. I like the sound of that. Mmm….”

Advertisement