Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dial-up speeds

Options
  • 02-04-2003 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

hi all
    While over at the folks place looking into an Outlook Express problem, I noticed their dial-up speed was reported as 115kpbs! They're using Eircom net. I've been using UTV IP for past 6 or so months and get 40 kbps at best, mostly down at 33 kbps
    And it actually appeared quick too. And after using the net in work.

So I was wondering what kinda connection speeds people get on their dial-up links? Won't mention the dreaded A**L word. That would be nice, but for half the published price.

ta
    -ao-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Thats just the com port speed, not the actual dial up speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I saw another thread which mentions something similar.

However this is an internal modem; not using serial port. So why would the OS report the serial port speed and not the dial-up connection speed? The port speed is irrelevant. Using Win2k and XP BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i've a 56k and i get 31.2kbps, and then occaisionally it might connect at 46.6kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

However this is an internal modem; not using serial port. So why would the OS report the serial port speed and not the dial-up connection speed? The port speed is irrelevant. Using Win2k and XP BTW.

An internal modem will create a virtual com port.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by a_ominous
    The port speed is irrelevant.

Not true. The modem in the PC is connected via a PCI slot, which acts as a COM port for the modem (eg my internal modem is reported as being on COM2) The maximum speed of that internal connection is being reported to you, whereas the connection speed between your modem and your ISP's (€ir***'s) modem is actually only a maximum of less than 57,333.

This MSKB article explains the matter.

Try putting- W2 -into the extra settings box of the advanced modem options. Different operating systems have different ways to get to it.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Thanks, that MS KB article looks like it could be the answer. I'll give it a shot next time on the other PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I get about 44kbps normally.

A friend of mine got a second line installed for his internet connection, he usually gets arount 22kbps. Is this the max he can get? Is it due to Eircom spliting the line in two?

Advertisement