Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best graphics atm...

Options
  • 02-04-2003 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

What game do you rekon has the best graphics atm ? be it on any console/pc ! ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

depends on what spec pc your playink on...

on my own...I'd say UT2K3...but Unreal 2 owns that graphically atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

I would say Splinter Cell on PC (eh, like with a 9700 Pro like me :). The lighting is just incredible - especially the shafts of light from vents, etc., . Absolutely insanely good looking. In fact the whole bloody game is amazing in terms of looks. Playing at 1280x1024 with max detail on everything and it's totally smooth. Much more impressive than X-Box/PS2 IMHO for this type of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Splinter Cell
    Rogue Leader
    Doom III

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Splinter cell, the shadow effects are breath taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DCULLY666

Unreal2 and Raven shield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Splinter Cell. It's definitely the cutting edge of graphics today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Technically, Splinter Cell on Xbox or the leaked Doom III test.

Graphics aren't just the technical side of things though - and in terms of game visuals which have a significant "wow" factor about them because of a combination of technology and amazing art direction, by far the best games out there are ICO (PS2) and Metroid Prime (GC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Why can't companies just halt on making graphics in games nicer. I'd much rather see smoother, life-like animation as opposed to photo-realism.

The characther animations in ICO were sweet, but the nicest-looking game I've seen would probably be Unreal 2 at the moment. Now, if all that time spent on making eyecandy was used to make a decent game..I might have actually wanted to play it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Splinter Cell on PC
    Metroid Prime (GC)

Very saucey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Best graphics would be Unreal 2 engine.
    Doubt if we have seen the best this engine can do.

Kdjac

• Advertisement

Splintercell on PC is far superior to xbox mainly because of high res on pc monitor.
    I have both [well borrowed xbox version before i got pc one].
    Xbox SC looks fantastic but once one sees it on pc ,WOW comes to mind.
    Ive tried running SC and Halo on my 100hz tv but framerate was a lot slower than normal 50hz.
    I run SC on pc at 1600x1200 res and the textures jump out at you but Raven Shield and Unreal2 are superior to anything IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Whats ICO? (I really dont like ps games generally speaking)

For the Xbox - Halo, not including splinter cell of course. Really nice to look at a year ago. Not as much now, landscapes look a bit blocky, meaning at the top of a hill theres a sudden spike or edge, I dont know what the technical term is. Not enough polygons? Also the grenade explosions in 1-player.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Technically I think the new Unreal engine would win. However visually the lack of imagination won't win Unreal tournament 2 and the dire Unreal 2 any awards (except from idiots).

The nicest looking games in my opinion would have to be Metroid Prime and Kingdom Hearts, and prove that good grphics don't come from throwing tonnes of power about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And for Rnger's comment about not liking ps games I am not going to comment. Only grunt angrily at your own ignorance.

So those of us who opted for Unreal2/tourney are idiots?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

seems so dcully, pity cos i thought i was becoming quite smart.

Atm i really do think Unreal2/Ut2k3 engines are the most visually pleasing and kingdom hearts dont hold a candle to it. Aint played Metroid Prime so wont comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Metroid Prime looks outstanding on the whole, especially the Samus model. Theres a lack of set pieces in the environment though so no one area really jumps out at you.
    I still think Morrowind (PC version) looks great with all the effects turned up and at maximum res, especially the water which looks down right incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The new Tetris in boards.ie arcade.

Yes Morrowind on PC has totally incredible water ,it has to be seen to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I'm with Shinji on this one. Good graphic design is 90% of what makes a game pretty. The technical aspects are only a small part of it.

Ico really blew me away. The way it looked really enhanced the atmosphere.

Virtua Fighter 4's model detail and animation really impresses me too. It's a bit jaggy but VF4: Evolution should fix that.

I'm looking forward to Unity on the GC by Jeff Minter of Llamasoft fame. It's a very 'out there' graphically. Games like Rez and Auto Modelista don't really astonish because they just rip off Tron and anime respectively but Jeff's new game uses mathematics to generate most of the visuals. He's jamming with the hardware to see what it can produce rather than imposing a style on it. Most people are going to say it looks **** because it's very wierd and trippy but I welcome something different. Photorealism is so dull.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I always thought, and still do to some extent that Populous: The Beginning looked absolutely astounding not just because it had raw detail or anything but never before had a full 3d world been realised so well. Even now it still looks great some 3 and a half years later which is something very few games can boast. Pick it up now for a fiver and be amazed.

ps gotta love that sig molloy.

I'm with Shinji as well. It's why chrono trigger is far more visually stunning than any of the Unreal games bland levels.

Advertisement