Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on bikes above 125cc

Options
  • 02-04-2003 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to buy a bigger bike than the Virago 125 that i'm riding at the moment.

Would like advice on what people would conside an non insurance killer upgrade. Loooking at some thing in the 400-600cc bracket (or anything that can be restricted to 33 ) that wont completly slay me in insurance €€€.

Just want a bike that does 0-60 in under 10 minutes...

Does anyone have recommendations, on a bike that the insurers wont crucify me on, that is reasonably nippy?

Am on second provisional.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

See this thread here...

I would suugest a bike with a factory-fitted restrictor kit, as these are group 5 or 6 insurance (a hell of alot cheaper)...

Bikes include (allegedly):
    SV650
    Bandit600
    CBR600
    Fazer600

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

hi there,

just thought i would mention it, but if you are on a virago at the moment and you like your crusiers, instead of getting a nice big sports bike with a restrictor on it, paying through the nose for insurance, you should maybe consider sticking to your crusiers and go for a yamah xvs 650.

these a great bikes to ride if your used to cruisers and it certainly has the power behind it, the great thing is that you done need to get it restricted cause it is just a fraction under the power/weight ratio for insurance purposes :) it's at something like 24.7Kw when the limit is 25Kw.

just siad i would mention it as that is what i drive now ono my provisional license.... must apply for test sometime to get full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That XVS650 is a truely beautiful machine have to say, would certainly be something to go for.

Which version of it do you have?, the Technical Specs on the Yamaha website say Maximum power: 29.4kW (40HP) @ 6,500rpm which is above provisional allowance though?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Hi had a virago 125 then I got the restricted bandit 600 great bike and category five insurance, plus the bike itself is cheaper new than the xv650, which I think is category six insurance, the sv650 is another nice bike same price as the bandit but higher insurance cause it only weighs bout 160 kilos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

:( dont suppose any of you know anybody form the country lookin for a beginner bike that doesnt mind payin abit for insurance!
    ever since those ****s hibernian bumped up the price of insurance on the rs and nsr to group 7 they are like a plague
    for gods sake a 00 ns1 which has woeful build quality compared to the rs now sells for more than my 01 mint 125 with a 500 quid alarm!
    scum scum scum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I called Hibernian/Norwich Union as I was considering getting an old skool 125 Vespa.

2400, 22.

By this I was amused as I was considering a 125 Sports bike or possibly 250.

For real laughters sake I asked a quote for a 50 cc moped, 700 Eur Third Party :D

I only paid £250 when i was 16, had me amused anyway :)

Eye: instead of getting a nice big sports bike with a restrictor on it, paying through the nose for insurance,

As I said, the factory-fitted restrictor bikes are group 5 / 6 insurance, which would make them the same price to ensure as an XVS650 (which is also a group 6)..

Try them out and see what you're most comfortable with...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭scrawnban

Buy a CBR250 bud, its the only thing you'll be able to insure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Longfield
    That XVS650 is a truely beautiful machine have to say, would certainly be something to go for.
    Yeas fantastic machines. I love my drag star oh so very much :)

dragstar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

yeah i have the standard XVS650

classic is pretty much the same just looks a bit chunkier.

on the yamaha site it does indeed say that the power output is over 29kw, but i have asked several dealers about this and they tell me that for the irish market they are at about 24.5 or something like that, just under the 25kw you can ride on a provisional A license.

with regards to the restrictors on sports bikes, i have been told several times before that insurance companys don't take them into consideration as they can be easily removed, a guy i know has a bandit 600 with the restrictor on but he still got stuck paying full whack for it, i dunno what the story is with that then if you managed to do it.

Either way the XVS650 is a pleasure to drive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Insurance companies dont recognise restrictors fitted after the bike leaves teh factory. I'm not sure if they are different or if the factory ones are harder to remove but, the factory restricted bikes do come under a different insurance category, it may even be an agreement with the manufacturers.

Does anyone know the method of restriction used on the bikes eg chip, exhaust, transmission?

I think washers are changed in the engine which constricts the flow of exhaust gases. Then again I could be completely wrong... :D

OK...
    I'll say it one more time... Everybody, repeat after me:

Factory restricted bikes fall under a seperate category to bikes which are restricted after they leave the factory (don't you guys ever visit bike shops?). These are (as Kazujo suggests) special agreements between the manufacturers and the insurance companies.

So, a bike with a factory-installed restrictor typically falls under Group 5 or 6 insurance (ask your local bike shop sales-guy), depends on the bike.

Bikes which are restricted after they've left the factory floor (e.g. using an F1 International restrictor kit) do not get special insurance concessions. They are fully-loaded, as it is very easy to remove any such restrictions.

Yes, I have a good idea how these restrictions are imposed Kazujo, but don't deem it very wise to post this info publicly.. PM me if you want specific info, and I may be able to help...

With regard to a CBR250, it is indeed a great bike, particularly for beginners.. I had one for a couple of months and loved it to bits (until I killed it).. But given that it's at approx the same bhp as these factory-restricted bikes, insurance prices will not differ greatly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

As things go insurance on bike isn`t bad for performance.My quote on a CBR250RR was 3200.I`m 20.In september with my full A licence its only going to be 1300 cause I turn 21.I`m thinking of buying my cousins bike.He just got a `03 Bandit 600cc. Factory restricted.Same price as the 250 in insurance.All group 5.
    The bandit is a gorgeous bike with great performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Go for restricted Bandit 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Am a cruiser type person, the XVS650 has won me over, it will be my next bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

As Krusty and others said, go for factory restricted bike or the insurance company will not recognise the restriction.

A bike over 150cc is needed for the A test. I started off as complete beginned on a 125 Marauder but changed after 2 months. Then I got a 400cc import. This is just at the max power rating for learner legal. Have done my test on it and am looking forward to trying out bigger bikes in just under 2 years time.

I did look for a 250cc bike. Not interested in sports bike. Too much weight on a previously broken wrist. Have a big trailie. Has a high seat giving good visibility in traffic. Good power for the mostly dual carriageway journey.

There is a list of bikes and their power ratings listed on the MAG Ireland site but I cannot find the page ATM. No search engine.
    I do know the Honda Bros which is a 400cc bike is recognised as learner legal. The power output is just above 33BHP I think but the power to weight ratio is under 0.16 kW/kg.

AFAIK the power to weight ratio is what the insurance companies use to compile the insurance groups. So most cruisers, from a 125 to 750cc tend to be group 2/3 and a race replica 125/250 are up in Group 5/6.

If you want to check out the insurance prices you could always use the

Hibernian Direct website.

Bike world's list of new bikes also shows the group the bikes belong to. Might be useful too. Their insurance table though is way out of date.

Don't forget a lot of shops also deal with AON and can get you a slightly cheaper quote than going directly to Hibernian. Carol Nash were more expensive and I had to keep bike under a roof. A garden shed was considered more secure than current ground anchor, etc. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

There is a list of bikes and their power ratings listed on the MAG Ireland site but I cannot find the page ATM. No search engine.

There is a search engine, just going blind. Riding into the setting sun ;)
    Here it is : Mag list of 33BHP bikes

HTH

Originally posted by Longfield
    Am a cruiser type person, the XVS650 has won me over, it will be my next bike :)

Hurrah, you definately wont be disappointed! Another star on Irish roads... now to start an Irish constellation of the star riders :D

The New Gem in Ranelagh has a list of a number of the new 33bhp factory restricted bikes with their insurance group etc..

Have a looks..

List includes fazers, bandits, cbr6's, hornets...

• Advertisement
Advertisement