Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just finished with girlfriend

• 03-04-2003 2:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

ive just broken it off with my gf of a year

its really broken my heartbecause i know how much she loves me.
    i had a few reasons, including having strong feelings for someone else, but i have completely lost any passion for my girlfriend, and thats why i felt it was right to finish with her, to stop keeping her hanging on, giving her a chance for a fresh start with someone who might appreciate her like she deserves

i have never felt so low, even when i have been dumped before

i dont know why im posting this here, i dont even except advice from people i guess im just getting it off my chest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Hang in there bro you'll be alright in a few weeks.

You gotta be cruel to be kind.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Originally posted by Feel so bad

i dont know why im posting this here, i dont even except advice from people i guess im just getting it off my chest

Often helps just to do that. Dont feel guitly for her though and as Logic says, hang in there.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

you'll get over it in time, we all go through our ups and downs,

as you said why drag it out, that would only make it worse,

you did the right thing, go out in a while and have some fun! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Well done. In the longer run, you should never let yourself be held hostage by someone just because you care for them somewhat and don't want to hurt their feelings.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

You've actually done the kind thing.

Seriously, it is better to end it sooner, rather then later, you did the right thing, this way, you avoid hurting her 'more', by hanging in there because you want to avoid hurting your pertinent other by ending it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Jak
    Well done. In the longer run, you should never let yourself be held hostage by someone just because you care for them somewhat and don't want to hurt their feelings.

JAK.

A1 completely and totally agree. that is the worse thing you can possibly do, to hang in there, be unhappy, becuase you think someone else will be hurt by you. well, they will be hurt even worse if you string them along for ages, and waste their time.

of course, if you just fancy someone else and are using it as an excuse to dump her, then youre a bit of a cad, but there you go.
    what other reasons were there for losing her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Im in a similar situation myself. although im quite happy about it. i was with my Girlfriend for basically 3 years and we broke up last week. we broke up for about 2 days last year as some may remember on this board. but you done the right thing, the only advice i can give you is to break off any contact from her for a few weeks. delete texts you receive , dont answer phone calls etc. cause any contact with her and the brain goes a bit frazzled and you might get temporary feelings for her and then you are in **** creek again.
    try and keep yourself occupied and do as much as you can to keep your mind off her. i found it helps that if you start thinking about her think of the things she done that annoyed you or whateverm anything negative. it sounds harsh but it works, you have to train the brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

aw i can feel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am in the exact same situation at the moment. I've been going with a girl now for just over a year. Although I really like her, I still have feelings (maybe stronger) for someone else.

The thing is I'm afrid to break my girlfriend's heart because I know that's what I'll do if i break it off. You have just done exactly what I'm scared of doing.

It's been on my mind alot lately and I'm getting really down over it manily because I can't decide what I want because of fear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Yeah you have to dump her "Same_Situation", but, one thing I wouldn't do is blank her, like bombidol has suggested.

Vercomst, you are talking about a person who you care for and who cares for you and just blanking someone is beyond self absorbed selfishness, it's infintile....

Typedef : Not bitter about the 10/12 ex-girlfriends who blank him.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I find it helps to remind people of your state of mind. If you believe your "wandering days" have not yet come to a close then make them aware of that.

I am not suggesting cheating, just saying that if you believe you want to have other relationships before committing to something long term like marriage, then let them know. The point being that just because you know long term the current incarnation of a relationship ain't the last one you will have is not always a reason to end it as long as both parties understand the score.

Personally I know that I will need time away from any girlfriends between now and likely the next 5-10 years. Why? Because I find myself capable of loving a girlfriend, but also loving other people, wanting to get to know more people better and also even just wanting to enjoy the feeling of being single now and again.

I'm happy with things now, but I know I could not make a long term committment to anybody now and be happy with closing a certain aspect of my life off. Much like regular friends, there are lots of great potential girlfriends out there and I believe fear is what stops a lot of people from moving on a bit.

JAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

aww :( rent the carebears videos or somthing ! thatl chear u up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Hang in There

P.S. Yes i am bored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

go out
    get loaded
    wait few weeks
    all will be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

The initial feeling is awful and people who have not dumped before don't have a clue of the guilt but don't worry....
    Seriously, it is better to end it sooner, rather then later, you did the right thing, this way, you avoid hurting her 'more', by hanging in there because you want to avoid hurting your pertinent other by ending it.
    Good words from Tupdef!
    By prolonging it, you just live a lie!
    You did the right thing!
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

You did the fair thing for your girlfriend, if you dont love her as much as you used to there is no point in having a relationship. I know how you feel because i did the same thing myself once. It'll take a while, it hurts but what doesn't kill us will make us stronger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

I did the same mate a few months bak wid me bird of 18months.
    It is the only way, for all the reasons stated above.
    Personally I started to get in silly moods and rows with her which wer nuffink to do with her but just my frustration at lack of balls to make the spilt. That was not nice thing for me to put someone through.
    Wether you like it or not you gotta do it dude.
    Good luck
    you aint the first and you wont be the last;)

Advertisement