Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The England Game

• 03-04-2003 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

So what did you guys think of the England performance against Turkey yesterday, then? Have we finally sorted out the gremlins that have dogged us since the world cup, or are these players only capable of showing passion in the big games?

The second half performance, and Wayne Rooney's contribution were especially awesome, as was the crucial save by David James at 1-0. If we can carry that momentum forward to the coming games against the so-called 'lesser' teams, winning group 7 should still be our destiny. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I can tell Simon is, that I was gutted come 7.30 last night, hoping to see a good game on free to air tv last night and instead all I got was piss poor Northern Ireland and Greece.

Needless to say the playstaion was put on after a painful first half. Would've loved to have seen the England game.

England have a great team, dont know why they under achieve so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

lol ... yeah it was really annoying when I came home from the pub looking forward to the Eng v Turk game, only to see that bbc NI had to decided to show the N.Ire match.

I shud have stayed in the pub! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I watched it on SKY and i thought the turkey were very poor compared to the world cup and england were not much better.

I wish becks had got sent off and that would have liven the game up.

England were poor and will be beat by better teams than turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

I thought England played good but not great. Turkey really under played, they never really got started. England deserved the win however.

Was an exciting game tho, which is more than i can say for the Irish game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

England were pretty poor, as usual. Gerrard and Beckham played ok. Scholes was anonymous, Rooney was class. Woodgate or Terry should be playing instead of Ferdinand, he is a liability.
    Turkey weren't really up for the game, too busy slagging Becks about his sexuality, which he took on the chin.
    As for Micky Owen getting injured...F**K IT ANYWAY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I dont know if everyone was watching the same match as me last night?

England played very well, as a team. And the Turks looked dangerous enough on the break, with pace and technique to burn.

Beckham didnt have the best night, as his final ball seemed not as good as he can deliver, and it wasnt till the seond half the england midfield could claim to 'boss' the game.

But to say Turkey were poor, would yeh cop on. They're no. 7 in the world, and the fact that they didnt look even better was just a testament to the English team, and how hard they worked a closing off the turks.

I thought Sol Campbell made a big difference to the English defense, and Wayne Bridges (spelling?) showed enough to suggest that England finally have some options down the left, especially when ashley cole is fit again.
    But man (or boy) of the match Wayne Rooney looked a class act as he strutted his stuff. I wonder how much longer he'll be an Everton player if he keeps playing that good?

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I agree with ya there X...

I thought England played well as did the Turks who were just caught out with Englands performance. Thought Rooney played well as did Gerrard and Campbell and oh what a save from James. Vassell took his goal well after good work from the young lad Rooney and Becks did his job with the penalty as well. I suppose the British tabloids are hailing him as the hero today. Other than the peno I didn't think he contributed much.

On a side note: the English fans could be banned from the return match in Turkey. Boy that would be one scary place to go especially with no supporters.

Oh ya and Owen is doubtfull for the weekend. Sh1t but c'mon the pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭simon_partridge

Originally posted by Xterminator
    But to say Turkey were poor, would yeh cop on. They're no. 7 in the world, and the fact that they didnt look even better was just a testament to the English team, and how hard they worked a closing off the turks.
    Yeah, I agree with that - Turkey weren't bad, and when they got the ball they knocked it about quite well (especially in the first half, when they were arguably slightly in the ascendancy). England didn't give them a chance second doors.
    But man (or boy) of the match Wayne Rooney looked a class act as he strutted his stuff. I wonder how much longer he'll be an Everton player if he keeps playing that good?
    You never know, he might turn out to be the rare loyal player in the modern game - by all accounts he could already have gone to Inter Milan, Barcelona or probably any of the top English clubs before he signed for Everton this summer. And a funny story I heard, is that he is planning to spend some of his new found wealth on a nice family holiday this summer to... Butlins in Minehead, Somerset. Pure class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

thought Turkey started well but England midfield finally started to do something.
    Dyer dived the ****, should not of been a penalty.
    but justice, considering the hand-ball from a turkey player denying an England goal.
    england deserved to win and it was a much better game than the Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Fair play to England, they had a job to do and they did it, they had the bottle for it at a time when people had been questioning the bottle. Beckham could have been sent off during the first 15 minutes though, some of his tackles were unnecessary and dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do you know how pissed off I am that BBC1 NI choose to
    show thier own team last night??? :mad:

The Bill and Braithwaites it was then.....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by Xterminator

.... He's a blue through and through. He wouldn't want to leave. Evertons future is lookin good - best season in years, funding in place for new stadium. He's come onto the scene just in time. The Boy stays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

.... He's a blue through and through. He wouldn't want to leave.

Hope you are right but didn't Everton fans say the exact same thing about Francis Jeffers a few years ago, some even said it about Danny Cadamertrie (sp?) before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Is Northern Ireland the Worst team Ever,I've seen Confernence Games With More Passion ,Technique and Flair,they should scrap their National Team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Waylander
    Hope you are right but didn't Everton fans say the exact same thing about Francis Jeffers a few years ago, some even said it about Danny Cadamertrie (sp?) before that.

Cadamarteri is still at Everton, he just will never get a game there again.

are you sure, I thought he went to Wolves or some one in the first division?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Fairly sure he could be at Grimbsy (sp?) now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The NI football team seems to be just as illegitimate and unviable as their state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Danny Cadamarteri plays for Bradford these days. The Toffees definitely thought Jeffers was a Blue for life, possibly Danny C and even Michael Branch. But if Rooney was to leave there would be uproar...

You are right it is Bradford not Wolves. I think he contract is up at the end of the season too, and they are not resigning him. I knew he was not still at Everton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by Waylander

yeah, but one key factor there was that he was playing for a team that looked years away from days like these. there's no way back for him now but i'm sure he would have liked the chance to play for the everton of now.

as for Danny Cadamertrie (sp?), i think it was more a case of everton breaking loyalty with him.

Advertisement