Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choice between 2 M.Sc. Courses

• 03-04-2003 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi,

Im currently trying to choose between two taught M.Sc. courses:

1) M.Sc. in Security and Forensic Computing @ dcu

This is a new course and is starting this September.
    It sounds like a good area to get into. Im pretty big into Crypto + security, but kinda worried about the more OS parts. I would gather that OS would need to be known inside out - which is ok but could get a bit annoying.

PDF leaflet (168KB)

2) M.Sc. in Networks and Distributed Systems @ TCD

This course has been running for a while. Internationally Trinity would have more reputation than dcu (??) this is why Im considering this course.
    Course Webpage

Any opinions, feedback much appreciated.

- Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

One of the main acid tests when considering a course should be what the graduates are doing.

Obviously, from a career point of view there is no point in doing a really cool sounding course when the employment rate of graduates is 10%.

You don't know what the DCU course employment rate will be like, but then again, as the first graduates you will probably have less competition in the job market.

I'd see what the TCD graduate prospects are like. If they aren't overwhelmingly good, the DCU one might be worth a gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I wouldn't necessarily agree. I am doing the taught MSc. in Griffith, and for me, it's simply a piece of paper - another line item on my CV that will hopefully get me more noticed when I apply for a real job.

I didn't really care what the graduates were doing, and come to think of it, I wouldn't know where to find that kind of information (it's certainly not on the college website).

Personally, I chose it because it looked relatively handy and wouldn't take too long to do. Druid - the MSc. in networks and distributed systems looks generic enough to be useful in the tight market place we have now. I would imagine the DCU course would be too specific for a lot of companies here.

Just my tuppence worth.

Advertisement