Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Sleep to much

• 03-04-2003 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Aye, I sleep far to much, doesnt really seem like a problem but it is when it comes to school days, no matter what time I go to sleep at I can never manage to wake up in time and end up going into school at lunch time or not at all. There isnt any problems in school or home, but I have got my leaving cert this summer, and I allmost missed my irish oral because i slept late.

On an average day where I havent been up all hours that day or the day before I would sleep from 10 to 12 hours! If I'm called ill wake but instantly fall asleep again, I actually do try to wake up but I have no control over it :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Just get someone to pull you out of bed in the morning and not let you go back to sleep. I can sleep for 10-12 hours but usually I just feel tired and lazy for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by DaSilva
    If I'm called ill wake but instantly fall asleep again, I actually do try to wake up but I have no control over it :p
    Have you considered the possibility that this is due to a lack of discipline on your part? That saying you have no control over it is just an abdication of responsibility for your own indolence?

Boarding school would probably help someone like you. Failing that, the army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by DaSilva
    On an average day where I havent been up all hours that day or the day before I would sleep from 10 to 12 hours! If I'm called ill wake but instantly fall asleep again, I actually do try to wake up but I have no control over it :p

As things go, that is quite lame. You might be suffering from acute lazy-sod symdrome..they only cure it to get up off your arse when it's time to get up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

When do you go to bed usually?

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Have you tried going to bed later at night and getting less sleep? 6 hours or so?? If i sleep more than 8 i just feel more tired in the end and want to sleep more.. If i sleep a little less im usually fine.

As for getting up.. get a LOAD of alarm clocks.. seriously!!! I use my mobile phones snooze option.. also i have 2 alarm clocks.. one is a very noisy moving star wars one which i almost have to jump out of bed to turn off its so annoying!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

If you move to America I'm sure someone will give you a nice diagnosis to make it someone else's problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Are you overweight?
    Do you snore heavily?
    Do you fall asleep when on the bus etc?

There are medical condidtions other than lasyhole-itus, which most poeple are suggesting.

I suggest you read about sleeping disorders Here

Finally if you are just lasy, then try exersize. Join a footie team, or take up swimming, cycling or walking. You will find you have more energy, and sleep better.
    Also your body has a rythem. Try to go to bed and get up arounf the same time, even when your off school/work. You need 8 hrs sleep, so ge into the habit of getting up, aftere youve had 8 or 9 hrs rest.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Have you tried going to bed before 3am and or giving up smoking hash all day long.

Both courses of action drastically reduce the amount of time one must spend asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Also lack of energy can cause it.. so take some energy pills (the legal kind!!) or drink some lucozade sport etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

lasd ffs, stop calling the guy lazy, there is actually a condition, I cant remember the name, but it involves the person feeling abnormally tired.

Have you tried going to your pharmacy or doctor and asking them about tablet, Pharmaton and such.

It could also be a Deficiency in minerals, vitamins and what not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

are you depressed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

blame society, if not them blame your parents and if all else fails accept that its your own fault.........I'm the same as you, slept through leaving cert and my first two years of college...for my ability my results are a joke.....i have a rake of alarm clocks none of which work for me and i take vitamins regulary....the only thing waking me for work at the mo is my auntie so the only advice i have is get someone who will get you up no matter what you say or do, if you live at home its going to be difficult as brothers/sisters/parents usually leave when you fuk them out of it or when you throw sth at them, othewise i have no cure and im afraid ill fall back in to the same pattern when i move out of my aunts...which will make arriving at work late fun!

and as for those of you taking the piss, its not that fukking simple...if it was a case of just waking up early id have done it by now!............

also watch for depression of a mild nature...stress of the leaving etc can play a big factor in your shiit sleep....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

When possible(especially in winter) I like to go to bed between 2am-4am and get up at about the same time pm.Its a great way to spend a cold winters day if you are off work/school and dont have anything better to do.And if its Friday it leaves you with more energy for going out that night.
    Strangely i never sleep all that late on a Saturday,especially if I have been out.I am more likely to sleep longer if I stay up midweek watching tv until all hours rather than coming in at 3-4am after being out.I usually only sleep until about 11 or 12 on a saturday if i have been out the night before.Weird :confused:

And BTW we are talking about when I am not hung over from Friday night-in that case I usually wake at 7 or so in a cold sweat after one of those really bizarre and disturbing alcohol influenced dreams:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

You could have Hypersomnia, opposit of Insomnia but usaly diagnosed as "lazy sod disorder" as you see here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'm ****ed up because I am so tired all the time, missing college etc. I find that if I go to bed at say 1am and have to be up at 7:30am, it's easier to wake up. The longer I'm in bed, the harder it is to wake up.
    On a bad day I could sleep for maybe over 15 hours, and thats without being up all day before or being up two nights in a row.
    The longest I have slept is about 19 hours, and I felt tired for about two days after it. I think it the body relaxes too much, it can cause problems.
    Hyperactivity during the day can cause problems too, if you find you are fidgity, like bouncing your leg up and down, or generally unable to sit still, this could be a big drain during the day, which requires the body more time to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

don't listen to the sod-itis theories.... that's bull and you know it. 'friends' are always ripping the piss out of me for much the same.... i'm usually tired but can rarely get to sleep ok. then i find it almost impossible to get up in the morning. And by nature i don't think i'm a lazy person... mood really affects it, but i think ithe best thing is to try to develop a REGULAR sleeping pattern, get up the same time every morning...eventually your body'll get the hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

You could have Narcolepsy although that occurs when you fall asleep all the time. There was a programme on about it on Channel 4.
    Sounds like you just need less sleep! This used to happen me all the time during 6th year. I would go to bed really early, get up the next morning and still feel tired. I could manage up to 14 hours every Saturday night. But I used to feel awful then the next day, really slow and stuff. I think it's a matter of growing out of it. Once you hit college or a proper job, you'll barely have time to think let alone sleep!

Don't worry about it, as parents always say "It's just a phase"
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

Go to your doctor i had a friend who was like that in school. She had a disorder called M.E I dunno what it stands for but it leaves people feeling tired all the time. She used to sleep so much and only went to two ot three classes a day in school if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

DaSilva has only complained of being unable to get up (not even wake up) out of bed in the morning. As such, attributing his/her issue to conditions such as M.E. and Narcolepsy is a little fanciful.

Occam's razor would seem to apply here. And when we shave off such fanciful assumptions and postulations, the most obvious answer is probably the correct one - that DaSilva suffers from an acute case of sloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

DaSilva, just go to bed at 10pm. I bet you won't have as much trouble getting up the next morning.

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Maybe try get away from your computer for awhile, not going on the net/playing games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

I always find that if I get a full night's sleep then i actually feel more tired the following day! I get by on about 5-6 hours a night! I'll crash ocassionally at the weekend but not usually as ive got to work!

Try and organise yourself so that you keep busy for longer, timetable your study or soemthing like that! arrange to meet your friends on a saturday morning for something lively like a game of football, once you break the cycle you'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Hmmm, im gettin a bit of a bashing now. Well someone pointed out to me that drinking a cup of tea and smoking right before bed doesnt help so ive stopped that. For the people who are saying its laziness it probably is, Im not gonna blame it on some stupid disease or disorder. Was just hoping someone who was having same trouble might have had an idea.

Ohh Xterminator,
    Are you overweight?
    Do you snore heavily?
    Do you fall asleep when on the bus etc?

Nope.
    Dont think so.
    And yes :p, i allways fall asleep on the 66b and wake up in Hewlette Packard, git of a walk

Someone mentioned diet, mam is allways saying i dont eat enough and shes probably right, i sometimes end up just having eaten one meal in the day and no snacks.

Something that a mate told me in school, which worked yesterday is drinking loads of water before you go to bed like about 7 cups or so you gotta get out of bed before you wet it :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Are you depressed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

You may want to take a visit to the doc and get a blood test just to make sure.

I know someone who had this for 13 months and constantly felt drained of energy

Have you always been like this or is it just recently?

folks, don't be so quick to judge, best suggestion was the alarm clocks, if that fails, person waking you up with a cold glass of water over your head tends to do the job, you will be surprised how energetic you will feel after that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

on the topic or tiredness, certainly is effecting me :)

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jchap/tvgla8.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

It is very possible that u could be Anaemic, its "lacking vigor or energy"

I know I am :) I try taking vitamin's.

Cod liver oil tablets are good so to are Formula V (vm-75)

I never bother taking mine, I've got to the stage where I am just so lazy.

For me; I used to do a load of sports and a sh1t load of cycling and now that I've moved away from home, I'm doing nothing.

SEX, lots of SEX that will do u good, besides the partner may even kick u out of the bed!

I'm sure u can pay for those kinda services or somethin' ?? :D
    drinking loads of water before you go to bed like about 7 cups or so you gotta get out of bed before you wet it
    I'll Deffo try that!

Advertisement