Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows ME Dirty Install

Options
  • 03-04-2003 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

I had Windows ME running on a PC and the registry got corrupted.

Being in the middle of urgent work, I only had a 98SE disk handy and installed that.

Now I was hoping to re-install ME, but I only have the OEM version and it won't let me install over 98.

I have tried some of the work-arounds for this but I can't get it to install from a DOS prompt at all.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I dont understand,

You have 98 on the machine?

Do you want ME on it?

well thats crazy, IMHO.

Anyho, Did you try booting into windows and putting the OEM disk in? sometimes it will give you a recovery option of some descripton. Might be a destructive one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

i've had ythis proble before, if it's not the windows me upgrade version, it will not allow an install on top of 98. My way around this is to boot up in dos. Go to whatever directory 98 is installed, type delete *.*. Start up machine with ME cd in it and you can now install ME into a different directory. A bit drastic but it works, only way to get around it without formats hard disk.. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Now I was hoping to re-install ME, but I only have the OEM version and it won't let me install over 98.

Sorry if you have an OEM version of ME, the only way you will get it to install to a hard disk is to fit that disk to a motheboard that returns the expected vendor id.

Thus if it's a Gateway OEM cd, you will have to do the install on a Gateway.

Although if it is a Gateway OEM cd I can point you to a proggie that will change the vendor id of a motherboard so you can install using a Gateway OEM.

Else you will have to do the install on a motherboard of said OEM orgin. No other way around it.

so there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Not sure enough to just reply to Typie's post by saying "rubbish!" but I used OEM discs from HP and Dell before to install operating systems on non-HP and non-Dell PC's...

As for the original query... stick with Win98SE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Hmm.

Perhaps there are a few execptions to the rule from the beginning of the OEM disk introductions.

However, back when I worked in Gateway, it was policy (enforced by Microsoft) that you had to use OEM specific disks. These disks looked for the manufacturer of the motherboard and if said manufacturer didn't match what the disk was expecting then you couldn't install onto that machine.

Perhaps in the XP generation of installations (with hardware activation requisites in place of OEM disk constraints) this is no longer M$ policy.

Certainly if you take most Windows 98 SE/ Windows ME disks from the major US Intel OEM manufacturers (which is the period of disk I think this guy might/has), it was M$ policy at the time to require OEMs to check that their disks would install to said OEM's motherboard and said OEM's motherboard alone.

*not withstanding extraneous exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Well strangely enough this is the first time I've ever tried an OEM install with the disks I got with the PC and it doesn't work!

I've often mixed/matched OEMs using 98SE before and never had a problem. In fact the 98SE thats on it now was something I burned of an old PC.....

Advertisement