Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee or Ennis; Which One Would You Live In?

• 03-04-2003 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I've been thinking of moving over to the west coast. Maybe Ennis or Tralee.

I just wondered if anyone here lives in either of these towns and if you wanted to share any local gossip about either town.

Such as, do local people generally think of either as being a "good" town to live in. Or is either town locally thought of as "going to the dogs".

Does the hospital in either town have a reasonable reputation locally?

What about crime? Is it around "normal" levels for towns their size?

I've been to both of them to check them out, and both seem fine to me. Just wondered if anyone had any comments about them!

Thanks for any comments/advice!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I'm from Shannon (out the road from ennis) and i live in Tralee at the moment. I've went on the beer plenty of times in ennis. To be honest i think tralee is a better place. Ennis people ain't that friendly and the beer is cheaper in tralee!!! /me dodges. I've been to the hospital in tralee twice for x-rays, i was in and out in less than half an hour both times, a neighbour's daughter was left sitting in a waiting room in ennis hospital for seven hours while she has having trouble with her appendix - they burst. Both tralee and ennis can be a bit rough but that's the same everywhere init? Stay away from the bullring in tralee - bad neighbourhood. Crime is "normal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

Familiar with both towns, would much rathe rlive in Tralee... and that ain't simply my biased Kerryness... honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Ogie16

what area in tralee is the bullring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

look into listowel.
    property is cheaper and you have the best of both worlds........in between.
    i have a bridge for sale !............going cheap.
    No seriously its not a bad town, a little smaller but more friendly.
    Crime is no worse than the rest.
    Also pubs aplenty and lots of social amenities and festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

The Bullring is very close to Horans.
    That whole area is just.... meh.

I find it hard to recommend Tralee tbh. I've grown up here, me and all my mates have seen it go down the tubes. It wasn't that we were away at college and came back, it really was before our eyes.
    Having said that, it probably is better than Ennis. Any time I pass through Ennis I get the fear. Very odd place. Like the twilight zone or something.

No offence to any Ennis people. Actually nah, screw you all :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ECOD

Hi everybody.

Considering the big move from Co Dublin to Ennis. Have to say after reading your posts I'm a bit concerned about it... What do you mean by "Twilight Zone"?:eek: Do you think Ennis isn't a good place to raise children?
    I always thought that Dublin was a city with quite a few problematic areas and a dangerous place to bring up kids. Shouldn't be the West the most genuine and "good" part of Ireland? (Forgive my ignorance: foreigner married to a Dubliner...:rolleyes:)

Please advise needed!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brenlixnaw

markymark wrote: »
    I've been thinking of moving over to the west coast. Maybe Ennis or Tralee.

I just wondered if anyone here lives in either of these towns and if you wanted to share any local gossip about either town.

Such as, do local people generally think of either as being a "good" town to live in. Or is either town locally thought of as "going to the dogs".

Does the hospital in either town have a reasonable reputation locally?

What about crime? Is it around "normal" levels for towns their size?

I've been to both of them to check them out, and both seem fine to me. Just wondered if anyone had any comments about them!

Thanks for any comments/advice!!

i live near listowel and my father was from enis ,so we went up to have a look around after his death and to be honest i understand why he left 60 years ago to go to uk and even if the place has improved in the time since he left its still shabby but to say that the bull ring is a very special case i think it should be sealed up and kept for future generations to see what was once acceptable but every town /city as areas where yuo wounldnt let your dog off the lead:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

ECOD wrote: »
    Hi everybody.

Considering the big move from Co Dublin to Ennis. Have to say after reading your posts I'm a bit concerned about it... What do you mean by "Twilight Zone"?:eek: Do you think Ennis isn't a good place to raise children?
    I always thought that Dublin was a city with quite a few problematic areas and a dangerous place to bring up kids. Shouldn't be the West the most genuine and "good" part of Ireland? (Forgive my ignorance: foreigner married to a Dubliner...:rolleyes:)

Please advise needed!:confused:

if you want to move over to the west coast from dublin I would recommend something a bit more dare i say cosmopolitan like galway

any way OP
    Tralee is alright tralee general hospital is a dump my mother hurt her arm in a fall she was ok but as a precaution she was sent over to Tralee general for an X-ray complete with a letter from her doctor she was there about 6 hours.:mad:

there is a good private hospital The bons so it is avoidable for non emergency

otherwise I like Tralee I love the fishing and hiking and there are plenty of those nearby ie 15-20 min drive. I think the night life is ok.

If you have kids there are plenty of safe beaches
    there is a good golf course and sailing club.

culturally there is choirs drama groups and other social groups.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement