Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we hold back the tide?

Options
2»

Comments

liberation, at a price is a great thing, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by klaz
    liberation, at a price is a great thing, isn't it?
    It's quite likely things will improve for the average Iraqi, I think. It is in the US's political interest for this to happen in order to justify the war. It is unlikely that they would allow an oppressive regime to emerge soon after the withdrawal of troops. I doubt if they would allow full democracy, though, in case a nationalist Islamist based government was elected. They don't want another Iran (the majority of the country is Shia, like Iran). Equally, they would not want someone like Chavez (Venezuela) who might privatise the oilfields.

<edit: On second thoughts, I think they could tolerate an Islamic government provided it was not too oppressive and provided it does not **** with the oil supply or that of its neighbours./edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

What Iraq (and Afganistan for that matter) is an Attaturk figure.
    Someone who isnt afraid to Embrace Secularisation of the Nation.

Probally end up with some beareaucratic paper shuffler though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i am as sceptical as the next person about us motives in going to war .I assume their motive is basically self-interes,however the wmd's are real (used during gulf war and on the kurds)and he really is a bad dude and his regime really sux.Things are not black and white ,how would you rid of him and his heirs peaceably,it wouldn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    It's quite likely things will improve for the average Iraqi, I think.

And things would improve for the average Iraqi if the nation became annexed as the 51st State of the Union as well.... would that justify such an action?
    I doubt if they would allow full democracy, though,

Who cares what the reason is....if the US makes any attempt to prevent "full democracy" from being implemented, then what the hell was this for?

Oh...let me guess...they will tell us that "at least the Iraqi's are freer than they were under Saddam. We're only slightly ruling them, whereas he was in total control".

Democracy takes time to implement, but there is no justification for the US to decide that only parts of democracy should be implemnted.

jc

• Advertisement
Advertisement