Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! welcome screen stall...........

• 03-04-2003 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

:confused: Help! When I start up xp, the welcome screen freezes for about 2-3 minutes before continuing to load. This only started recently and I have'nt loaded any new programmes so I dunno whats causing it!
    When it started first, I would turn on the computer and it would freeze infinitely on an all blue screen. I would then hibernate the pc and turn it back on. letting it resume from hibernate simply results in the all blue screen again. Pressing f8 to load without resuming hibernate brings me back to the temporarily frozen welcome screen.
    I performed a defragmentation and this solved the all blue screen problem but the welcome screen is still freezing. Whats going on and how can I solve this???

ps. I recently upgraded from win me to win 2k which wasn't working so i then upgraded to xp. That was about a month ago though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

did you literally upgrade from ME, to 2K and the XP? or did you clean install.

If you upgraded, id reccomend a clean install, you OS is probably in a heap!

aside from that, have you tried safe mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

SouperComputer
    Ya I literally upgraded from one to the other. I really don't want to start from scratch coz I'd lose everything, but if its the only way...
    Thanks for the advice. Ill post a reply if I get anywhere.
    By the way, what would running safe mode do to help me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

well, if you boot into safe mode you could at least back up some of the stuff you need too keep.

But clean install it, seriouly, otherwise you're asking for trouble!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You can disable the Welcome screen using TweakXP Pro.

Might help you.

Also, your HDD might be mega-fragmented so defrag that sum'bit+ch :).

Advertisement