Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whinging Irish players

• 04-04-2003 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I just had to get it off my chest. The Irish soccer team were dismal the other night. They look like a team fighting in the relugation battle in the premiership, which isn't surprising cos nearly all of the team are fighting relugation battles with their respective clubs.
    The attitude of the team just seems to be to whinge and moan to the ref about anything they can and this was most evident through Kevin Kilbane. I remember going to see the irish team for a friendly a few years back and Kilbane came on as a sub. He played brilliantly but a few years at Sunderland seems to have knocked the passion, and the use of his left foot out of him.
    Brian Kerr can't really be blamed. He just doesn't have the players. I think the biggest thing we really need though is a leader on the pitch. Someone to take a hold of the game (I'm going to say it), someone like Roy Keane!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I think you're being very tough on the Irish team. Its true we dont have the best players in the world, and its because of this I think that four points out of our last two games wasnt bad at all. Kevin Kilbane gets a lot of bad press these days (unfairly in my opinion). At least hes willing to go out to these countries and give his all for his country! Which is far more than other players that you have mentioned are willing to do.

I think this topic would be better titled "Whinging Irish supporters" rather than Whinging Irish players!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Point taken and it still won't stop me going to the home games, but we really do need a leader on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

In a sense those two games abroad, they were fighting for survival. They wouldnt have been able to knock the ball with grace and swagger after losing the first two games of the qualifiers.

Kilbane has reason enough to complain to the ref about getting a knife flung at him, I'm not a fan of his, but he help grind out the results which is what needs to be done on international aways.

Agree about Keane though, but matter is done and dusted. The team need to move on, as do supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Maybe we do need a leader, but we can survive and are surviving without one.

As for Irish players moaning to the ref, I agree to a certain extent, but to be fair, it was just a bit of naievety on the part of one or two that didn't play the whistle. They'll learn though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

If I hear the words "roy keane" once more,I swear to bloody god..
    He does not play for ireland
    he will not play for ireland
    he does not manage ireland
    he has nothing to do with the ireland set up
    he is not coming back any time soon

We do indeed need a leader, but its not going to be roy bloody breakyerleg keane!

[/rant]

Also,I dont think kilbane is that bad a player at all, although he sure has seen better matches then he's been seeing recently..

tbh,I think given should be captaining us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

keane is gone - issue buried.
    its not like we have the population or sporting infastructure to expect greatness and we're lucky to have a fairly decent first string when at full strength- goalkeepers aside we're weakened when any first choice is injured. But its a point well made that the midfield during the week read like a relegation threatend one-it hardly struckfear in the hearts of many but honest endeavour got a point which has made things look a little brighter for portugal

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Keane is gone, forget about for fkn once!! Jesus

I wonder would anyone think O'shea would be a good leader? Bit young maybe but nothing puts this lad off, shear class

Advertisement