Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rareware, worth enough to jump ship?

Options
  • 04-04-2003 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

It's well known that Rare bouyed the N64, & were the main reason why I kept my N64 after Mario, and indeed were the influence to me buying a gamecube!!! But now after the defection to the big M, I'll probably buy that over sized rock pillow aswell. Does anyone else share this distirbing loyalty to a games company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Dont know if this counts but i bought a PS2 solely cos i liked the ps1 . Didn't know anything about it or any games that were gonna be released. Bought it a couple months after released.

Havent regretted it tbh but i dont know if thats loyalty or just knowing it was worth my while :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I didn't buy the PS2 until a good game actually came out on it. And that took a year until GTA and devil may cry came out.

I think theres enough decent games already out and coming for GC to still be a decent machine. However the xbox has constantly had a load of ****e on it and only two decent and slightly overrated games.

I went back to old N64 games on emulators and found that most of Rares games were very overrated with Goldeneye being the only standout. All of their platformers were sub standard mario 64 clones and diddy kong racing was fairly crap. Perfect dark was alright in single player and a standout in multiplayer. I think Nintendo were right to sell them since the money they got from it far out weighed money they invested in them and the returns from their only above average games.

Rare did indeed have a big part to play in the life of the N64, but, although their games were brilliant, Nintendo still had their own titles and these also pushed the N64.

Rare has gone to Microsoft, fair enough.

Nintendo will still come out with good titles...at the mo, I'm playing Mario Sunshine...i thought that i would hate it, purely looking at the child-like visuals...but after playing the game, I'm engrossed and the game itself is amazing, in terms of design, playability and mechanics.

Games like this from Nintendo will help the cube perform well for another good while, I wouldn't jump to the Xbox purely on the basis that Rare have left. We won't have games like a Cube Goldeneye or Banjo Kazooie, but other releases are making up for those.

If you have the money, no problem. People own multiple consoles, so they can get the games they like.

Best thing to do is enjoy the games you play, regardless of who made them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

When Microsoft bought Rare, Nintendo owned a huge chunk of their stock, so they made millions from the sale.

This may be considered good because they have more money to spend on games, but then they were sued by the E.U or something, for pricing games high in europe, and low everywhere else.

So, after all that, their money's gone and they lost Rare which sucks for them. Maybe it's worth buying an XBox now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

actually nintendo havnt payed that fine yet. they have a year or two to pay up but apparently that can get that extended by another couple of years with appeals etc.......
    the money they makefrom the game boy more than keeps them in profit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DCULLY666

Worth buying xbox?
    Hmmm! im not sure.
    All i know is i know 6 guys really well who have recently given up on xbox and gone back to PS2,these same guys in turn also know plenty of other guys too who have done the same.
    I sold my xbox recently since i have my pc and PS2.
    Lots of guys are sick of walking into game stores only to find the same muck in the top 10 slots for months.
    TBH its simply not good enough,only today my brother bought a new PS2 and is trying to sell his xbox over on the for sale board.
    One particular m8 of mines story sums it all up.
    He got PS2 on release day and done the same with xbox.He then turned into an xbox only fanboy and constantly sneered PS2 calling it a piss-station.
    3 weeks ago he bought a brand new PS2 and his XB is gathering dust.:rolleyes:

PS2 has a massive library of really good games but XB has only 2 half decent ones,yes its got the power but also has utter rubbish games.Its a huge flop in Asia and doing poorly in US,me smells it could be joining the Dreamcast in console graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Remember one thing before you decide.

The Rare that exists now, are the Rare that developed CBFD and SFA. The vast majority of the team that made Goldeneye, and some of the PD team, left to form the development houses Free Radical and Zoonami (which is a nintendo second party afaik that was set up using the Q-fund).

Rare as microsoft have it is still incredibly good, and I know whatever we see from them will be visually stunning. For me however, CBFD and SFA just weren't as good as Rares previous games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Id buy an X-Box just for the sequel to conquers bad fur day (released on N64)

which was the funniest game i ever played !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

/me slaps Retrogamer with Jet Force Gemini and Banjo

Probably Rares finest moments since Goldeneye.

I love rare games and bought all their titles i even won a prize on their old cool website.
    But them moving to Xbox isnt enough to make me buy one.
    But maybe if they do something really good i may but havent the Stamper Bros left Rare now that Msft own it ?? (Shinji ???)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Rare are a small company and alot of their talent has gone to Free Radical and Zoonami. Microsoft payed way too much for them. I think Nintendo definately made the right move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

aw holy mother of sheggin jeasus christ.

that signature is hilarious!!!!

HA ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

When Rare went to Microsoft I was raging, but I don't really care now (that is until I see perfect dark2 probably:( )

Thing is though, I really liked Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Jet Force but I sold Banjo after a month and wasn't really into the other titles (donkey kong, didy kong etc)

If the Stamper brothers really have left Rare (can anyone confirm?) well then it's not really Rare anymore then, is it?

I wouldn't go buying an xbox just for Rare's games though (wouldn't buy one anyway :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

I don't think the (Super) Stamper Bros. have left. Sure the statement issued by rare where signed by them, its still a company.
    Anyway, some good points made. Especially the ones about the illigitimate children or Rare, namely Free Radical & Zoonami.
    I'll not sell the cube, some class games on it. Metriod Prime is the best game since Goldeneye, on any console. & there will be more good to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I'll not sell the cube, some class games on it. Metriod Prime is the best game since Goldeneye, on any console. & there will be more good to come.

as can be said for the x-box.

the amount of people who have played an "X-Box" but dont actually own one, and then rant about how their PS2 is soo much better, its a joke.

Its a ****ing matter of taste.

theres crap on all machines its only that the PS2 has so many other titles u dont notice it, Microsoft do have to pull their socks up, but I'd say soon enough u'll be seeing alot more games on the box, perfect dark 2, Halo 2, atm theres shenmue 2.
    if ur into DOAX. all consoles need a development period, and microsoft are pig headed about releasing an X-Box 2, cause if its a sucess then they know it will be worth the money they clearly can afford to loose.

like i said, matter of Taste.

Advertisement