Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have 5.1 Speakers, where to find a decoder?

Options
  • 04-04-2003 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Boardsies,

I have this 5.1 Active sound system (basically 5 small speakers and 1 main subwoofer). Now, where can I buy a cheap digital decoder, so that I can connect that to my laptop (it has S/PDIF output), or my DVD Player ( it does not have 5.1 output in it, but has L, R audio outs).

Well, if you are thinking about Extigy, no, too expensive and they still haven't come up with USB 2.0 version of Extigy.

Any thoughts highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Your DVD should have a digital output. Connect this to your amp when you buy it. As for places to buy read the sticky @ the top of home entertainment. Richersounds is probably your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Thanks a lot, daveg.

I could find a number of different digital decoders/amplifiers, but as this speakers cost only €40, I am looking for a decoder for some <100 quids, where as everything in the internet is well about 150 or mostly 250+. May be I should call in person to some of these shops in Dublin over the Easter weekend.

anyway, thanks again,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

dont throw your money away on a substandard amp/decoder. i bought a cheap white box clanger from dixons and still regret it. finally saved up for something worth while and the bad taste in my mouth is nearly gone..................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Can you tell me which one you bought later? And how much did you pay for it?

I was looking at VideoLogic (www.videologic.com) DigiTheater Decoder (only) and its about 100 sterling.

Funny thing is, I spend only €40 for 5.1 speakers. Now I am really worried that once I buy an amplifier my speakers wont stand up to it, and I may have to change them as well. I should have bought a full kit, I suppose.

Advertisement