Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU fan question

Options
  • 04-04-2003 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭

I installed a new hard disk, it's fantastically quiet compared to my first one, both during activity and during idle.

I've started thinking about changing my PSU fan as it's the only thing left making a fair bit of noise. Is it possible to change the PSU fan easily enough? Is it possible to get fluid-bearing fans instead of the ballbearing ones (at a reasonable price)? Or would I have to buy a whole new PSU :( (wouldn't be worth that)

It's a tower system.

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

new psu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A new "quiet PSU" would be the better way to go.

That way you won't fry your PSU, your PC, your House or yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

It's not hard to change your PSU fan although you don't want to change it if it is hot inside your PSU as it will get hotter with a slower fan. If opening your PSU watch yourself as it gives you a very nasty shock, i know from experience. The higher the wattage of your PSU the more chance that it will not be under too much stress and hence will be cooler. So the more chance that you can change the fan.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I know this sounds like a stupid remark but make sure you get one the exact size for case as I seen one before that was slightly smaller than it was supposed to be and used to cause this annoying rattling against the side of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭oneweb

Thanks guys, given the effort/cash involved I'll leave it as is. Probably safer that way too!

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by BabyEater
    It's not hard to change your PSU fan although you don't want to change it if it is hot inside your PSU as it will get hotter with a slower fan. If opening your PSU watch yourself as it gives you a very nasty shock, i know from experience. The higher the wattage of your PSU the more chance that it will not be under too much stress and hence will be cooler. So the more chance that you can change the fan.

Have to say I find the higher power PSU's hotter then the lower ones. More watts more heat, make sense really. I've changed a few fans in PSU's myself, works really well. Though not a good idea for anyone who doesn't know what they are going since it could kill you. The QuietPC 300w PSUs are quiet but the 400w ones aren't.

Check out this site for more info http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Advertisement