Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd Sky Subscription - same house - is it possible?

• 04-04-2003 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

A few questions for the experts...

I want to get a second subscription to sky, so that the various people I live with can watch different channels without arguments.

What I want to know is;

1) Do Sky allow 2nd subscriptions at the same address? If not, why not, and would I be able to get around this by having someone else register as the subscriber/billpayer?

2) Do I need a second phone line to connect the digibox to? (my previous subscription didn't need one)

Any other comments/advice about how to view separate Sky Digital channels at the same time would be greatly appreciated..

Darrell

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hi Darrell,

To answer...

1. No, not yet. Sky+ will be introduced here so (see here) in few weeks, and its hoped that the mirror sub will be intoduced at the same time, i.e. the second digibox on the same account. It should cost €15-20 per month for this.

Or, you could get a second hand Sky Digibox, someone to install a quad LNB on your dish (you currently have a single LNB) and get an FTV card from britain, which will allow you to watch the UK terrestrials. Check the FAQ thread at the top of the forum to see more info on that.

You cant get another sub at the same address.

2. For the mirror sub, yes, the boxes would need to be connected to the phone line for a year.

HTH,
    Damo.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

thanks for the answers. with regards to the whole mirror sub and phoneline routine, number 1, why does the box need to be connected to a phone all the time? and number 2, can I just get another phone socket at home for my existing phone line, connect the box to that, and hope it doesn't try to do its dirty business while I'm on the phone/internet?

thanks again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It needs to be connected, cos Sky say so (in the small print of the contract, this feature is now mandetory for new Irish subs since last summer) And only one phone line is needed, so either another socket else where in the house or you'd only need a splitter and a length of cable to connect it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

What about houses with no phone line. ?
    In a lot of new houses people who dont use the phone much and have no interest in the internet are opting to make do with mobiles and not bother with an Eircom line !

Indeed for many years more homes in Dublin had Cablelink than had telephones (and that was BEFORE the days of mobiles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can have two subs.
    But only one free install, so you have to get another Digibox and second dish or dual/quad LNB for existing dish.
    No discount (yet), ie no mirror sub
    You might have to use a different bank Direct Debit etc to avoid confusing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

Daz,

You could also order a second sub using a completely different address, (a relative who is unlikely to ever want Sky Digital?)then when the installer rings, ask him to stick it up on your own place.

I don't know if this is illegal, but if it is, then I never said it in the first place!

Yo would need a seperate phone number fromthe one you previously gave Sky... but did you say that you hadn't given them one at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Mike 1972
    What about houses with no phone line. ?
    In a lot of new houses people who dont use the phone much and have no interest in the internet are opting to make do with mobiles and not bother with an Eircom line !

Indeed for many years more homes in Dublin had Cablelink than had telephones (and that was BEFORE the days of mobiles)

No phoneline, no Sky digital I'm afraid, it is a condition of the contract.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by Mredmond
    Daz,

You could also order a second sub using a completely different address, (a relative who is unlikely to ever want Sky Digital?)then when the installer rings, ask him to stick it up on your own place.

No reputable installer will do this as it will place his subsidy at risk IE he may not get paid for the box €400 worth.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Irulan

I read somewhere in this forum that the reason a mirror sub {which is cheaper than the original } must be connected to your telephone line is to prevent people fom taking it out and giving it /selling it to their mates. AFAIK this is not yet available in the ROI. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mark McG

The other day, I was amazed to see a brand new house with three satellite dishes on it. Two mini-dishes (eliptical) and one regular circular one.

I wonder what the set up inside is.

Mark.

Either a Pub, or someone like me.
    (I got 4 dishes up and 2 new ones I'm thinking about).

I think though I 'll motorise one and replace some LNBs with mulitple o/p versions and reduce the number of Dishes.

The two new ones are to try getting WiFi Wireless LAN from here to work (About 4km across the fields). My sums suggest that a pair of 80/90 cm eliptical Sat dishes ought to give nearly 8 to 10Km range. I have tried the Sat dishes with the 10mW Video senders by mounting the vider sender "patch" aerial on the LNB holder and coonecting to the visdeo senter box with 6ft of Sat Coax. Certinally extends range!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mark McG

Maybe it is you Watty. Do you live near Tower, Co. Cork?

Mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

If your present name/address is Tom Smith 25 Main Street apply for the second subscription as Mary Smith 25b Main Street.

Give any phone number other your own as the number in the sub-apartment. Have the new digibox connected to your existing phoneline. The phone number is only used as a reference - they never phone you!

You can have two sky subs on the one bank account - It is not uncommon one person to pay for someone else's sub.

The above should allow you get your subsidy on the new digibox.
    You will have to live with two minidishes. If think you might go for sky+ in the future get a quad LNB now.

Originally posted by Mark McG
    Maybe it is you Watty. Do you live near Tower, Co. Cork?

Mark.
    No.

And amazingly you can'tsee my dishes from street.

Originally posted by eirman
    If your present name/address is Tom Smith 25 Main Street apply for the second subscription as Mary Smith 25b Main Street.

Give any phone number other your own as the number in the sub-apartment. Have the new digibox connected to your existing phoneline. The phone number is only used as a reference - they never phone you!

You can have two sky subs on the one bank account - It is not uncommon one person to pay for someone else's sub.

The above should allow you get your subsidy on the new digibox.
    You will have to live with two minidishes. If think you might go for sky+ in the future get a quad LNB now.
    Serously bad idea.

Two subs fully paid with your own bought box ok, but getting a second "free" box by deception is called fraud in some dictionariers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

It might be bending the regulations but I do not believe it is even vaguely fraudlent. In time Sky will recoup the cost of the investment on the second subscription. The fact that the two digiboxes are under the one roof is a mere technicality.

Originally posted by eirman
    It might be bending the regulations but I do not believe it is even vaguely fraudlent. In time Sky will recoup the cost of the investment on the second subscription. The fact that the two digiboxes are under the one roof is a mere technicality.

It is way beyong vaguely fraudelent and it is not bending the regulations it is breaking them. Contract says one free box per household and if you sign the contract intentionally breaking its terms that is fraud. Having said that I agree sky are getting their moneys worth so are unlikely to take any action. Hopefully this will all become irrelevant when the mirror subscription is launched end of this month.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Originally posted by watty
    The two new ones are to try getting WiFi Wireless LAN from here to work (About 4km across the fields). My sums suggest that a pair of 80/90 cm eliptical Sat dishes ought to give nearly 8 to 10Km range. I have tried the Sat dishes with the 10mW Video senders by mounting the vider sender "patch" aerial on the LNB holder and coonecting to the visdeo senter box with 6ft of Sat Coax. Certinally extends range!

Hi watty,

I am based in Raheen, Limerick (I think from a previous post that you are not far away) and have an omni up and running that is linked into the MidWestWan.

My ESSID is : Raheen001
    Channel : 9

Are you interested in doing a Link test some evening?

regards,
    dave

daveharlowe@hotmail.com

http://www.midwestwan.org/

2, 11, 22 or 56 MBit?

I have 11M gear but only inclined to use 2M on public links for now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Originally posted by watty
    2, 11, 22 or 56 MBit?

I have 11M gear but only inclined to use 2M on public links for now..

Most of us are using 11M Wavelan gear.
    Getting 10km + on some links :-)

Mod, sorry for the off-topic post....

Will reply using PM....

regards,
    Dave

Advertisement