Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Stripes - 3l3phant

Options
  • 04-04-2003 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

Got to say I am so surprised if it gets to no. 1. Not because of the quality because it is typical stripes but its moved on a touch from last album. Which is no bad thing as all 'good' bands do asyou can appreciate.

If you want to slag this post fair enough , thats your call but in a world where Norah forkin Jones gets to be number 1 after 5 mins of puberty, and stays there, I think they should be respected no matter whether you 'just dont get it'.
    So what if theres no bass, so what if they have a strict dress code, theyre a country mile ahead of the Hives, who seem to be more popular due to their attire than the music.

I shall pay my respects on tuesday in manchester. If you are in town and you want to buy summat new/different you could do much worse.

And dont mention lego, even my mate liked that video, cos it was in bloody lego.....sad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Back in work from my trip to england to see the Stripes. In my totally unbiased opinion they were absolutely amazing, I know I would say that (obviously) but they were just SO DAMN GOOD.

In between bands the video screen was showing Thunderbirds and Felix the cat...bizarre. Grown ups watchin cartoons in an old cinema with beer. First detroit support band were 'The Go' who didnt go down too well I think with the kids at the back but the sound didnt seem too good in the Apollo even halfway back. They werent bad but I think more suitable to an american audience...maybe? 'Whirlwind Heat' were in a similar sort of vein to the Stripes, one drummer, one bass player, and a singer/keyboard bloke, no guitars at all. He was absolutely hatstand, the energy he has is incredible, never a dull moment, if they are playing near you, go see, I think you would love em or hate em.
    Then came Jack and Megs turn, while we waited for them to address us we stood thru numerous Felix the cat cartoons, each episode ending with the cheers as if they were comin onstage, I personally preferred the early Thunderbirds pre band entertainment, then finally people started whistling and they came on. Jack dressed in all red except one black leg/one red, looking like some kind of court jester, no jokes tho, Meg in, dare i say 'trademark' white pants/red top.
    Got me arse down the front, after 5 minutes I got crushed and have quite annoying internal bruising now, havent had great sleep for last 2 nites now, was tempted to get outta the pit and stand at the back with the auld ones(early 30's myself) but decided against.
    Thought I may have cracked a rib but realised my ribs are lower down and dont know what you call that bit of the body, sort of 'above the ribs, chest place'.
    Jacks playin was better than ever, his slide guitar stuff is just too cool. He seems a lot more comfortable now on stage, as in more able to try and motivate the crowd, he tried to get everyone singing 'johnny revelator' at one point but sadly it didnt work, i guess not everyone knows their whole back catalogue.
    There was an extra mic in front of Megs drums so he kept goin over and singin as if doin a duet with Meg. Cant really think of what songs they did, because they damn near covered most of four albums, all the hits (to you and me that is) and some odd/old stuff ive never heard. Think my fave moments where the (too short) 'Astro/Jack the Ripper' and 'ball and biscuit' and one song I didnt know where he was duetting with Meg.
    At the end he had the guitar flat on the stage and was doin a 'hendrix', tryin to squeeze the last out of the guitar making some amazin sounds. Hard to describe, he was right in front of me and it was just pure class. They played for about 1 hr 30 and couldnt do an encore cos they played too long (think curfew was 11) but they came back on and apologised to us. Was a shame about not hearing 'bo weevil' due to overdoing time but then that is but a very very small price to pay. A mouse compared to an Elephant

Am now very depressed........work, life.....is now boring and sucks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I couldnt be arsed writing as long a review as you so ill just say i got the album its good but not brilliant about 7.5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Yeah it's a good album. I love "well it's true we love one another" with Holly Golightly. Anyone know who she is? i'll do a search.

Holly Golightly ...

was in Thee Headcoatees.
    has loads of solorecords out on various labels like Box Theory, Damaged Goods, Flapping Jet Records, Hangman's Daughter, Kill Rock Stars, Majestic Twelve, Nippon Columbia, SmartGuy Records, Super Electro, Surefire, Sympathy For The Record Industry, Vinyl Japan or Wabana.
    released a CD with Dan Melchior's Broke Revue, it's entitled This Love Is Real (Sympathy For The Record Industry, 1999, SFTRI 579).
    released a very good LP/CD with Dan Melchior, it's entitled Desperate Little Town (Sympathy For The Record Industry, 1999, SFTRI 591).
    appears on It's True That We Love One Another, the last song on the 4th White Stripes album.
    has a 7" out with The Greenhornes. It's called Little-Stars and it's on Damaged Goods (DAMGOOD 211).
    has a track on The Sympathetic Sounds Of Toe-Rag Vol. 1 LP/CD (Sympathy For The Record Industry, 2003, SFTRI 695).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Impressive review there acquiescefc, i felt like i was right there with you..... which may explain the broken rib i've discovered since reading it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

Really like the new album, especially the Bacharach cover. Saw them in Dublin Castle last year and they were amazing, made a helluva lot of noise for just two people. It was cool seeing the interplay/little looks between them during the big chord changes etc. And their cover version of "Jolene" rocked.

Am still in pain from it, if i sneeze its feckin agony.

Was walkin round town on friday lookin round the record shops, every one of the big chainstore music shops had a white stripes track playin off new album.
    Was difficult to leave the store I can say.

Am tempted to say it was the best gig ever but Reading 96 still tops my chart, so to speak.

Second week at number one in the uk. Saw the video on saturday for 'Seven Nation Army', very psychedelic, if youre in to your chemicals brother, watch the video, itll be like being on the Pepsi Max Big one at Blackpool only in red and white.
    I think theyll get complaints of little kids goin boz-eyed from watchin it.:ninja:

Dublin Castle btw rocked, have the whole gig on cd (apart from encore)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Let me just say that since I got this album I can just not stop playing it.
    It is much better than WBC, and the more you play it the more you love it.

Buy this Album.

If you havent got it already, de stijl is probs the best other album. Only just though...all 4 are classics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Just got me hands on it - I've only given it about 4 listens or so but I think it's a grower. The jury is still out to lunch, but I think its more polished than the other ones (bad thing IMHO). I just loved the rawness of the first album.

Also there is not yet any tune on it that grabs me by the balls. The bass line (I know its not a bass guitar!) on Seven Nation Army is seriously infectious and is still going around my head as I speak, but I don't think the song ever gets going.

It does sound better the more I listen to it and thats fine - most of my favourite albums I didn't like during the first few spins. And maybe its because it was so hyped that it feels like a bit of a letdown....dunno...time will tell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement