Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via Networks RADSL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I'll take what I can get. How much does it take to satisfy you? I mean we've all waited so so long for this rollout to happen and now when a decent enough provider comes along people start complaining. Yes, I accept it's more expensive than most other countries but for the moment I don't care about the green green grasses of broadband that other countries, just the deals that actually apply to me. Compared to Eircom Via seems ten times better. I have yet to receive their form but hopefully it is on the way.

Oh sorry echomadman, I live in Dublin and I kinda thought most people that post here did too. My line has been passed by Eircom so theres no problem in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

How much does it take to satisfy you?

I will never be satisfied, thats the nature of pressure group. I am reasonable to point, I won't walk in Dermot Ahern's office with a monotof (spelling) cocktail demanding everything by tomorrow, but I will always push for something better. Settling is how Irish ended up with the Quality of Life they currentily enjoy (or rather don't).

I told you quite clearily,

Yes, its better than eircom (but lets face it that not very hard)
    No, its not alot better than eircom,

This isn't a market busting product, you may be sold on it, but it will take something alot better to prise my internet pennies from pockets, these guys are _NOT_ interested in being market leaders. They probabily are only targeting a fairy niche market in their business model ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Just to point out that the product Sloth is refering to was actually available for quite a while. It is just Via's version of Eircom's original I-Streams offerings.

Ok point taken MDR. What is the optimal (realistic) package that your striving for atm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Just to point out that the product Sloth is refering to was actually available for quite a while. It is just Via's version of Eircom's original I-Streams offerings.

I was just going to post that. Sloth, that product is exactly the same as Eircoms original I-stream, just without the cap. which is fair enough of course. For people who dont exceed the cap (and theres more than you think) the product is as much of a rip-off as the original i-stream is.

Do you work for Via? You are sure pushing them very hard for a normal punter. Please stop thanks :)

Most of us here are aware of the 24:1 contention offers and its the 48:1 cheaper alternative that is 'news'.

Originally posted by Sloth
    Yes, I accept it's more expensive than most other countries but for the moment I don't care about the green green grasses of broadband that other countries, just the deals that actually apply to me
    You only seem interested in one deal tbh. What about Wireless? you dont seem to be worried about the fact that wireless is available in dublin and is a cheaper deal than via.
    Are you in an NTL area? What about esats dsl, its the same price as vias, its uncapped and its lower latency.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by MDR
    I won't walk in Dermot Ahern's office with a monotof (spelling) cocktail demanding everything by tomorrow
    [molotov]

I've got a loaded Kehoe and I'm not afraid to use it!

heh

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I live in Dublin and I kinda thought most people that post here did too.

You're away with the bird's kid :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thomasb

The premium rate package that's been discussed (106 euro, runs at a contention ratio of 24:1).

I've just checked out Demon Internet's website (they are one of the UK market leaders and tend to be quite economical), and for a similar feature for feature service (focusing mostly on contention) their cheapest rate is 75 pounds sterling per month .http://www.demon.net/adsl/expresspackages/plus-home.html. I think that in fact, our 512k, 24:1 product compares quite well with our nearest neighbour in pricing.

I would also point out that the way Eircom are doing their bitstream product makes it much more expensive on a peruser basis for an OLO to supply DSL access than it is in the UK.

We are NOT "not letting the end user choose their own kit and then install it." (excuse the double negative). What our position is that we can only supply limited support on hardware we don't supply. If you want to use your own hardware to get connected, you're welcome to do so and we have no problem with you doing this. We are not going to talk you through configuring ObscureDSL modem using Roaring Penguin PPPoE though.

Dustaz. Just to tell you why I'm choosing Via and seem so keen on it. I was thrilled by the news of Eircom's I-Stream but when I heard of the connection cap I was really put off by it. Then came wireless and again I was extremely disappointed to hear that games consoles don't support it. I live outside ntl's ludicrously limited area so that wasn't really an option.
    Sorry if I seem over excited it's just that Via seems to be exactly what I want and the fact that it's out so soon is even more of a bonus. As for the lower latency for esat over via how do you know this since I thought esat was pretty much vapour ware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Have you tried ringing them?

Yer but didnt get through, sent em an email tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Then came wireless and again I was extremely disappointed to hear that games consoles don't support it.
    Did you hear this from any authoritative source? I can't think of anything intrinsic to a wireless connection that might preclude X-box. It is just another means of providing broadband.

Have IBB said specifically that you can't run X-box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by thomasb

We are NOT "not letting the end user choose their own kit and then install it." (excuse the double negative). What our position is that we can only supply limited support on hardware we don't supply. If you want to use your own hardware to get connected, you're welcome to do so and we have no problem with you doing this. We are not going to talk you through configuring ObscureDSL modem using Roaring Penguin PPPoE though.

Bit touchy touchy at the mention of Comreg are we ? :D

Simply publish the settings, link Karl Jeacles Page on the subject.

Assume we are somewhat tech literate in here or know someone who is (and responds to PM's).....

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Skeptic has already asked the question i waqs going to ask about xbox

Sorry if I seem over excited it's just that Via seems to be exactly what I want and the fact that it's out so soon is even more of a bonus.

Um, the via offer you quoted has been available for about 8-12 months i think. They started re-selling i-stream just after it was launched. There is a new offer, but you dont seem to excited by that. Its thier version of eircoms RADSL offer.
    As for the lower latency for esat over via how do you know this since I thought esat was pretty much vapour ware?

No, Esat have enabled a fair amount of exchanges for thier business (read expensive) DSL. This is provided over unbundled lines (i think, im sure i will be corrected) and they do not have interleaving running on thier lines which is what causes eircoms (and VIAs) DSL to perform disapointingly for games.

Esats residential dsl product (cheaper) is the one that is proving difficult to actually order. Im not sure if its vaporware as such, its just only available to an ntl-esque amount of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

ntl-esque
    lol - coin that 'phrase' :)

ntl-esque: referring to a situation with plenty of promise, but which only relates to a small number of people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

received this from via this morning
    Good afternoon

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding our SOHO DSL Service. Presently
    we have three SOHO DSL products all SOHO products include the following:

512k downstream/128k upstream
    A fixed IP address
    No download limits
    2 month rolling contract term

Our SOHO Plus account includes 5 POP3 e-mail addresses, domain name
    registration and all of the above. Contention ratio on this service is 24:1. Monthly Charges for this service is ?106

Our SOHO Multi account includes: SMTP E-mail (unlimited e-mail addresses), Domain name registration. Contention ratio on this service is 24:1. Monthly Charges for this service is ?106

On the 11th of April we will have a SOHO service which will include all of the above, however please note the downstream and upstream rates will vary according to your distance from your local exchange. This service will include 5 POP3 e-mail addresses and a domain. Contention ratio on this service is 24:1. Monthly Charges for this service is ?63.

Each of the above services have a once off installation fee of ?165. The SOHO product which we will have available on the 11th of April, will also have a self install option.

should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact myself or any member of the sales team.

Kind regards
    Louise McKeown
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    VIA NET.WORKS Ireland
    VIA NET.WORKS Ireland is a wholly owned Limited Irish Company. Although
    connected to the VIA Global Network, VIA NET.WORKS Ireland is separate from
    and is not owned by VIA NET.WORKS Inc. or any member of the VIA NET.WORKS
    Inc. Group.

looks very promising

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Contention ratio on this service is 24:1. Monthly Charges for this service is ?63.
    I hope that's not a typo :)

If it isn't they may well have my custom :p (Should IBB continue to serve only the city/south-side)

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Esats residential dsl product (cheaper) is the one that is proving difficult to actually order. Im not sure if its vaporware as such, its just only available to an ntl-esque amount of people.

sub Ntl - esque . NTL have over 1000 customers for their Broadband Residential product, maybe twice as many.

By last month ESAT had enabled 32 out of 40 of their DSL exchanges for the residential product.

They had signed up about 32 customers by then too, giving their punters a stunning contention ratio of precisely 0 or 1:1 although there are 2 punters in Navan

If you ring the ESAT Business people and ask for it they will find the guy who sells it in Residential, his own colleages seem to have difficulties in doing so, usually asking you to mail in a phone bill before they will even discuss it which is most disconcerting on a first enquiry.

Alternatively mail Una Mc Girr, una.mcgirr@esat.com , a very helpful ESAT person if you say you were referred to her by Muck .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by shinzon
    Monthly Charges for this service is ?63.
    Are we to assume that this is €63 inclusive of vat?

How hard is it for them to bloody mention whether or not their pricing includes vat or not?
    If it's not inclusive of vat, then they're being annoyingly misleading, especially if they're expecting to sell this to a residential market...?

zynaps

Ok point taken MDR. What is the optimal (realistic) package that your striving for atm?

Personally (not the opinion of the committee), 512 down/128 up, < 40 euro and around a 12 gig cap would be a market busting product at this moment. (it won't be forever though, as data volumne requirements change)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by MDR
    Personally (not the opinion of the committee), 512 down/128 up, < 40 euro and around a 12 gig cap would be a market busting product at this moment. (it won't be forever though, as data volumne requirements change)
    For what it's worth, that's a product I'd shell out for.

Originally posted by sceptre
    For what it's worth, that's a product I'd shell out for.

<Muck is taken aback as Sceptre invites Pimp attack by Casey/Chorus/NTL/IBB/Irishwisp who actually do offer that kinda package at that kinda price somewhere in Ireland right now>

<Muck volunteers to update sticky on Broadband pricing if asked nicely by Sceptre ...tad overdue that>

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Muck
    <Muck is taken aback as Sceptre invites Pimp attack by Casey/Chorus/NTL/IBB/Irishwisp who actually do offer that kinda package at that kinda price somewhere in Ireland right now>
    Repellant squid guns at the ready Muck.
    (none of them do in Limerick but I'm open to PMs (that's "private message", wannabe pimpers) from any who do)
    <Muck volunteers to update sticky on Broadband pricing if asked nicely by Sceptre ...tad overdue that>
    Oh, yes please. The dustbuster and I always appreciate any help.

Muck is taken aback as Sceptre invites Pimp attack by Casey/Chorus/NTL/IBB/Irishwisp who actually do offer that kinda package at that kinda price somewhere in Ireland right now

NTL ... if you live in Tallaght wonderful
    Casey .... if you live in Waterford wonderful
    Chorus .... if you live in Kilkenny, Thurles wonderful
    IrishWISP ... if you live in Ternure wonderful
    IBB .... these guys are closer €50 in price ... if they dropped their about about 20%, continued with their agressive rollout, they could have something.

Even better,

anyone who offers 128kb down, 64 kbs up, with something like a 4gig cap for less than €20, and the same level of availablity as Eircom, and a half-decent advertising campaign, would own the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

information age eh?
    Well the information superhighway is closed for resurfacing around here at the moment,

maybe if i set up a semaphore tower.........

anyway, does anyone know anything about all this fibre optic that the ESB is laying down

press release here..
    http://www.esb.ie/main/news_events/press_release193.jsp

Originally posted by MDR
    NTL ... if you live in Tallaght wonderful
    Casey .... if you live in Waterford wonderful
    Chorus .... if you live in Kilkenny, Thurles wonderful
    IrishWISP ... if you live in Ternure wonderful
    IBB .... these guys are closer €50 in price ... if they dropped their about about 20%, continued with their agressive rollout, they could have something.

Even better,

anyone who offers 128kb down, 64 kbs up, with something like a 4gig cap for less than €20, and the same level of availablity as Eircom, and a half-decent advertising campaign, would own the market.

<Muck is pained at the al Fresco Irish Geography lesson from MDR>

NTL ... if you live in Tallaght OR Terenure wonderful
    Casey .... if you live in Waterford TOUGH but Dungarvan, Co. Waterford wonderful.
    Chorus .... if you live in Kilkenny, Thurles OR Clonmel wonderful
    IrishWISP ... if you live in Terenure OR Rathfarnam wonderful
    IBB .... these guys are closer €50 in price ... if they dropped theirs about about 20%, continued with their agressive rollout, they could have something.

Chorus have now dropped their Cap (it seems from their T&C's) so I wanted to point out that there are 5 Carriers offering Uncapped products in the Sub €50 space in Ireland, today. None of them further require that you also pay €21.15 line rental to €ircon. Most of them do a 512k product in the sub €50 space, the exception being Casey who do a Guaranteed 256k product in the sub €40 space instead.

All my prices INCLUDE VAT .

NTL have the cheapest one 128/128 No Cap and no line rental for €30 .

M

<Muck is pained at the al Fresco Irish Geography lesson from MDR>

Jesus Muck,

I amn't writing a press release ... just making an informal point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Here is an email I sent to via on friday ...

Good afternoon,

I am enquring about your new DSL package
    available after the 11th of april.

I have a couple of questions :

a.) what is the cost of the SoHo service including VAT
    i have heard something in region of E63

b.) Is this service capped or is it likely to be in the near future?
    I have heard it is not capped at present.

c.) is there an option with a fixed (static) ip adress
    is there an extra charge for this? if so how much?

d.) is the interleaving algorithm turned on for this service?

e.) are you releasing this service in all eircom dsl enabled exchanges?

Thanks for your time,
    <me>

And here's the response i received today ...

Thank you for your email. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. In
    anwer to your query,

Via Netsouce will be reselling the Rate Adpative DSL on the 11th of April.
    Included in our package will be 5 POP3 email accounts and a domain name. Via
    Netsouce do not have any download limits for this service, so the rate will
    be a fixed monthly rate, and we also offer a 2 month contract for RADSL. Our
    package also includes a fixed IP address with no addtional cost, this
    package costs just 63 euro, VAT Exclusive.

Interleaving is switched on and cannot be switched off as it is a Eicom's
    policy. DSL will be released on all Eircom enabled exchanges.

If you would like any further information on our RADSL package, please do
    not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
    <customer rep>

.........which goes to prove that VIA are not exceptional in offering an Uncapped 512k product .

Once Vat if factored in VIA will charge €76.23 and require that you pay €ircon €21.15 Line rental too.

Via are therefore offering the residential customer a 512k Uncapped product for €97.42 a month, I wished to point out that there are others doing so for around half that.

VIA probably cover as many potential customers (even though they are Dublin only) AS all the rest put together.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 thomasb

You're probably paying this anyway if you have a phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement