Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle

Options
  • 04-04-2003 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

i am having problems removing oracle i was wondering do any of you have suggestions..i have tryed to delete by dos nothing seems to work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Johhnyc,

What version is it? Oracle 8.x.x or is 9i?

If it's windows you can just shutdown any databases that are up and insert the original oracle CD and from the menu you should have a deinstaller options to remove the files from your system.
    normally in oracle/ora817/ or oracle/ora9i/. Shutdown any running oracle services first. You can also delete the oracle in the registry as well.... /hkey_local_machine/software/oracle/

If you don't have the CD you can still shutdown down any database(s) and then stop all services relating to oracle and manually remove all files from /oracle/orant or /oracle/ora9i depending on what version you have.

To shut down any database:

in a dos box
    1) go to the oracle/bin directory
    2) svrgrml
    3) connect internal@<TNSNAME/databaseName>
    4) shutdown immediate

or if it's 9 try:
    sqlplus
    connect / as sysdba
    shutdown immediate

To find out the "database name" go to tnsnames.ora in /oracle/admin/<foldername based on database>/

Kinda rough but hope this helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

its oracle 9 i am having the probs it slows the computer a pile thanks for the suggestion? if it does'nt work would you mind if i get back to you about it...you seem to have an idea what your talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Hey Johhny,

You can still keep Oracle9 on it and just shut down the oracle related services.. look for stuff like...

oracle OLAP 9.0.xxx
    Oracleora90Agent
    Oracle90TNSListener

and any databases will be there to as:

OracleService<database name>

When I had my ora9 database running is was using 195Mb. Yours may differ depending on what memory was allocated when they were set up.

With the services shut down you shouldn't notice it on the PC.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just to add to what Hamster is saying - the easiest option, if your not used to all this dba stuff is to press control-alt-delete and bring up task manager.

You should then see the processes Hamsters is talking about. Stop any of them related to Oracle. Then go into Start->Programs->Oracle Install (or something like that). Look for universal installer. Now that the database has been shutdown, you can uninstall all the software.

This should remove everything, including the services.

Advertisement