Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail Day of Defeat.

Options
  • 04-04-2003 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I read over on Bluesnews that the amazing Day of Defeat is gonna be available as a retail version soon.Valve seem to be in charge.
    It had to happen ,its an incredible mod .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

head on over to the halflife board my friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Will NS be the next mod to get the retail release then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Valve really are a ****ing joke.. make a NEW game.

Why? they may as well milk it for everything its worth. I know I would :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Man, DOD is about as amasing as a fucking wet teabag. Every map is dark and crappy, i know its a war but ffs the sun shines even when people are fighting. The textures look like wet news paper. It takes about 20 minutes to lie down, then another 20 to take out your gun after you've lied down and another 20 everytime you crawl. You have to be completely still to shoot anywhere near the crosshair and the recoil is so stupid its not even funny.

I wouldn't piss on the dod devs if they were on fire, its really THAT bad. I feel sorry for any poor sod who actually buys this game.

• Advertisement

Bah, i thought this was posted on the half life boards. Robs gonna have my nads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think people need to think more rationally here, now lets say you wanted to play DoD, what do you need

Half Life CD
    Half Life latest Patch
    DoD leatest Patch

The later coming in at 300meg downloads , hmmmm

Makes sense to bundle DoD with the original CD(cd key)

It`s a good idea, dont whinge

The same was done with CS so it could be brought to the masses, minus the need for downloading huge patches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DCULLY666

Shows what you know Vac,
    your talking pure ****e tbh,go away now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Don't rise to his bait dcully.

We're better than him.

The big silly billy.

yeah, dont worry bout him, hes probably one of those cs whoes who has lost his way and wandered over here to the lowly halflfie board.

silly whoe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

DOD is the best mod for Half-Life, by lots.

What makes it the best mod for half life? The stuppidly over the top realism? Bad maps? Terrible textures?

I agree dod has a good concept, but they really made an arse of it after 1.3. It was fun, which made the bad maps and textures bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Philly = correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Isn't DOD that mod that all the people who used to play TFC (also rubbish) went off to play because they couldn't stand getting their backsides kicked all over the CS servers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Originally posted by bazH
    The same was done with CS so it could be brought to the masses, minus the need for downloading huge patches

Nope. Retail CS is a different beast; it's not "bundled" with anything, it is standalone. Hence the fact that there are different patches for CS retail and a regular CS install.

Edit - seems that it's bundled with HL generations now and you can't actually buy it standalone, but that's got nothing to do with the installation procedure and the whole cdkey issue

Indeed - and besides, I'd take issue with the claim that CS was brought to "teh masses" by the retail version, or that that was the reason for releasing it at retail. It was released at retail because Valve ran out of crack cocaine one weekend, and couldn't afford to pay the midgets who walk around the offices with the bowls of coke balanced on their heads any more; and the number of people playing it online hardly budged after the retail release. Very very few people got into CS because of the version on shop shelves. I doubt DOD will be any different.

And it's still a rubbish game.

I know plenty of guys who got into CS when it went retail.
    These guys were on 56k at the time .I also know many guys also on 56k who i downloaded DOD for,i burned to disc and went round to their houses and installed it for them.
    They all bought the Half life generations pack wirh retail CS included and ofcourse the all important personal cd key.
    Most of these guys have upgraded to isdn or dsl since but some still play Dod on 56k .
    Over on our clan forum we have a huge community of CS and DOD players not just clan members and i can guarantee you all that a huge percentage got into it all via retail version.
    Shinji your claim of it being a rubbish game smells of someone who has not given it time or simply cannot get to grips with the steep learning curve.
    DOD has being voted THE best mod of 2002 ,it has a huge fanbase of mostly over 18 yearolds not kids.It is growing all the time at a massive rate,indeed our server as are thousands of others full all the time,hence reason clan members have reserved slots on the server.
    Rubbish game? Dont think so :rolleyes:
    Everyone has different taste .

I know plenty of guys who got into CS when it went retail.

Fair enough, but the fact remains that the server stats for the game didn't change a jot when the retail version of the game came out. I guess in countries without broadband you'd have seen some difference, though.
    Shinji your claim of it being a rubbish game smells of someone who has not given it time or simply cannot get to grips with the steep learning curve.

I think we have different definitions of "steep learning curve"... It's an incredibly simple game. It's also pretty damn poor - and yes, I did give it time. I played it for several hours before giving up entirely on it and going back to significantly better games which aren't such a godawful waste of space.
    Everyone has different taste .

Indeed. For example, goats eat rubbish, and presumably think it's delicious. You play DOD, and think it's great. Do you see?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I like DoD but I gotta agree with Shinji on the "steep learning curve" point. It's piss easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

DOD was fun when it was buggy and unbalanced - it made a nice change from cs. Now its full of dark city maps that all look nearly the bloody same and encourage camping with an MG in some doorway for three minutes to kill someone. Even firearms is better fun than it like :/

• Advertisement

Its piss easy until you go to clan servers .
    Have you played on a clan server Shinji?
    Maybe one running in the EDODL league?
    This is what i mean by steep learning curve.

Shinji id like to know about the better games you moved onto?
    Unless you have played for a few nights your opinion means zero tbh,and any DOD player will tell you the same.

Richindub
    Er!!!!! most servers have custom maps running[unless you have played these maps you cannot comment] with a few from version 3.1.
    1 or 2 are dark the rest are full daylight.
    :rolleyes:

[unless you have played these maps you cannot comment]

And i suppose those custom maps are coming with DOD Retail are they? Cause gee, thats what we're commenting on.

Fact is, dod is a good concept gone bad. They ruined it with patches. Why buy this mod, when there is MUCH better world war stand alone games (ie MOHAA, BF1942).

Hahahah, I notice that DCULLY has changed his line from...
    DOD IS AWESOME!

.. to ...
    DOD IS AWESOME... if you play on a clan server for several nights with custom maps. terms and conditions apply. your house may be at risk if you do not keep up your mortgage repayments. your mileage may vary.

My comment about playing on a clan server for few nights[not several] was in reference to you saying its piss easy [as in play against good players] and with custom maps[because you guys say default ones are too dark]
    Your boyish reference to terms and conditions apply is well amusing to say the least.

Anyone knows for any pc games 3rd party stuff comes along and in this case some amazing maps.
    This is why most decent servers are running custom maps as they are better than default ones.

VAC yes some of them are coming to retail and if you guys read anywhere anout the retail version you would then see the huge amount of changes form bet 3.1 to the up-coming one.
    I will download it anyway but i merely posted here to inform some 56k guys who may not be able to do so.
    Vac i have BF 1942 and MOH and Spearhead for MOH and they are superb also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

An old mod for an outdated game played by people with 200mhz pcs and 4mb video cards :)

Was a great game a few years ago but releasing DoD as retail is the ultimate milking of the cow.

kdjac

Hahahah, I notice that DCULLY has changed his line from...

Your seeing things m8,i dont recall changing anything.
    DOD IS AWESOME... if you play on a clan server for several nights with custom maps. terms and conditions apply. your house may be at risk if you do not keep up your mortgage repayments. your mileage may vary.

Your attempt at sarcasim is bewildering TBH,

These so called terms and conditions are optional but are highly recomended.
    What is wrong with custom maps anyway?
    Im sure lots of players could happily live with these terms and conditions.
    Indeed. For example, goats eat rubbish, and presumably think it's delicious. You play DOD, and think it's great. Do you see?

Er!!! good one there. :rolleyes:

An old mod for an outdated game played by people with 200mhz pcs and 4mb video cards

Like i said if you read anything about it or watched movies etc you would see that the latest cards are required for it.

My P4 2 ghz,512mb nd geforce 4 ti 4600 should do :)

200 mhz and 4mb vid card ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

In all honesty I'd rather have my nuts chewed off by a pack of hungry lions whilst being dragged across the serengeti plain tied to a horse than play DoD now.

It used to be a great game, lots of fun for all the family etc but now its just muck. I think Vaccy has said enough about why already....
    Like i said if you read anything about it or watched movies etc you would see that the latest cards are required for it.

My P4 2 ghz,512mb nd geforce 4 ti 4600 should do :)

hmm well my P4 3.6, 1gig RDRAM, Radion 9800, with DVD drive does me for running Minesweeper. Also solitare.

You get my point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Thats another point - MOH / RTCW / BF1942 all do what dod tries to do but in a less restrictive/overly real/dull way. I cant really see the retail version doing all that well :)

• Advertisement

its not dod's fault its restricted to the hl engine, u cant compare it to games like bf, because there is no comparision, bf is far better and much more fun to play. dod is still a good game in its own right.

in terms of these "dark ****y city maps" that u keep mentioning.... there is not that many dark maps in dod, and the reason there mostly city is because the hl engine cant handle wide open spaces too well, and the mappers want to keep the game as realistic and close to ww2 as possible, therefore city maps seem the logical choice.

cant we all just get along ? :(

Advertisement