Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game shops in dublin

Options
  • 04-04-2003 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey all, wasn't sure where to stick this topic so i decided to put it here, might be moved. Heading up to dublin tomorrow to go game shoppin :rolleyes: , if you could just throw the name of any games shop you know up there, on here, it would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

hmmm, there's a game board...

and on topic, no i dont know anywhere..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Smyths is te only place to go. Get a loyalty card and you will get money off most games.

Whatever you do don't go to Game. They are rip-off merchants and will add 5-15 euros on to the price of games. Smyths always have the games at the right rice and then theres also money off with the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DCULLY666

Only good thing abot GAME is 10 day return polocy, oh and the dodgy security guard who tries to be top salesman :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

lol, where's smiths in dublin, not too sure, i think i've been in it before :P

sorry drake, not with it at all today :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ONe in City Centre just off Parnell Street , one in Condalkin just off the Motor way , another in Tallaght beside the Square.

Check their website for one on reoute.

kdjac

thanks kdjac, will do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

There is another Smyths just off the N1 at Swords. at the Airside retail park (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

there's one in the blanchardstwon centre too.

are they all the same or would one be better than the other for games?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They all same ,one in town has bigger floor space for games but i thnk they all the same stockwise.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 repoman_666

What format are you buying for? GC, PC GBA etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

was recently in game and traded in a few games coming to €74 im exchange i was getting a new release €60 and a second game €50 when i went to the counter i noticed a sticker on the game saying they would beat any price on a game chancing my arm I said virgin had it for €55 when he started to ring the place i got worried but it turned out it was €55 in virgin he then told me i still had €16 credit before he could relise his mistake i grabbed a joypad for €17 and gave him the extra quid. so for four old games and i mean old all four have had sequels out since and €1 i got a brand new release a pretty new release and a new joypad.
    Basicly smiths is the cheapest but if you want to get rid of some old games Game is the only place that trades them in I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish
    if you want to get rid of some old games Game is the only place that trades them in I think.

I think GamesWorld in Liffey Street also do trade-ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres also Gamezone (I thnk thats what its called) on liffey street beside the abbey mall. Smiths is the best though. I bought forgotten battles in there today, it was €39. In Game its €64.

Is there anywhere that trades old PC games? The only place I've heard of is one up near amiens st, under the bridge. Dunno if its still going though, been a few years since I was up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

GamesWorld

I hate that place so much. The shop used to smell of piss and the prices were always much higher than anywhere else, especially when it came to second hand games which they would try pass off as new. I wonder does that snotty blonde haired beeatch still work there.

Try all the aforementioned i suppose along with hmv and virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I never had any problems with Gamesworld. I but all my second hand games there . Bought Bomberman Generations for Gamecube there last week for 30 Euro and I've never had any problem with any of the games I bought there.

I did smell like Piss though about 3 years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Originally posted by deadl0ck

I did smell like Piss though about 3 years ago...

But thankfuly thats all cleared up now.

Gamesworld never seem to have a very good selection of PC games, walk around Smyths HMV and Virgin and compare prices.

Other than the web, Smyths is still the best value in Ireland. Nearly everywhere else is a lot more expensive. I find that most new titles show up in Smyths weeks before all the other "game" stores too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Gamesworld recently opened in Ennis and I've found them fantastic. I bought two cheap 2nd hand games there and they were as new. The Game one's usually have some nasty scars.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    Gamesworld recently opened in Ennis and I've found them fantastic. I bought two cheap 2nd hand games there and they were as new. The Game one's usually have some nasty scars.

Love the sig! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Thanks. You're the third person to admire it since I made it yesterday.

hehe, cool sig
    how true :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Originally posted by deadl0ck
    Bought Bomberman Generations for Gamecube there last week for 30 Euro

Heh, I think that was mine. And they gave me 15 yoyos for it, which is pretty good conisdering Game only give you a third what they sell it for (as far as I'm aware).

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Jeez, sell your games on the For Sale boards :rolleyes: .

You might actually get that chunk that the gameshops eat up then.

Oh, and that sig is quite excellent :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

HMV and Virgin in town sell some games really cheap particularly gba ones.

What did the sig say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

What was wrong with his sig ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was in the games part of Chapters on Abbey St. on Sunday, and overheard the guy behind the counter saying that they were closing up and moving to Limerick!

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Was game-shopping in town a few weeks ago, indeed GAME is a complete rip-off.

Take a new release of Splinter Cell [PC-CDROM]:
    GAME €60 (Grafton & Henry St.)
    Virgin €55 (Henry St.)
    HMV €50 (Henry St.)

A 30 second walk down the street from GAME to HMV saved me €10.
    Have to say HMV is great for cheap games, they've always got some nice re-releases on sale... things like "CollinMcCrea Rally2", "KingPin" etc etc, less than a tenner.

I remember when GAME used to be a nice cheap place to buy a game, before the euro :(

*Prices are to the best of my recollection, may have changed since etc.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    Was game-shopping in town a few weeks ago, indeed GAME is a complete rip-off.

Take a new release of Splinter Cell [PC-CDROM]:
    GAME €60 (Grafton & Henry St.)
    Virgin €55 (Henry St.)
    HMV €50 (Henry St.)

A 30 second walk down the street from GAME to HMV saved me €10.
    Have to say HMV is great for cheap games, they've always got some nice re-releases on sale... things like "CollinMcCrea Rally2", "KingPin" etc etc, less than a tenner.

I remember when GAME used to be a nice cheap place to buy a game, before the euro :(

*Prices are to the best of my recollection, may have changed since etc.

Yeah games used to be the cheapest for hardware and software. Not anymore. Incidentally you should have kept walking down to mary street, and into Smiths. Probably cheaper again.

Advertisement