Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game shops in dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I've stopped buying new (unless its for a great multiplayer game), and started buying from ebay in the UK: I've had no trouble yet, and you can get games that are only a few weeks old for halfprice sometimes! For instance I got Splinter Cell for E29 second-hand the other day, takes two days to get here from the UK seller, and I saved at least E20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Gamesworld is the cheapest in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by TmB
    I was in the games part of Chapters on Abbey St. on Sunday, and overheard the guy behind the counter saying that they were closing up and moving to Limerick!

- Dave.

NOOOOOOOO..... feck the games i use them for getting books...

For Games i use Smyths.. seem to be very cheap!
    I too remember Game being the cheapest.. especially with my club membership... ah well... their loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Gotten tonnes of stuff of eBay UK - no compatibility problems (PAL vs. NTSC) and delivery's normally half nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only reason to go to Gamesworld is to see the hot blonde bird that works there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    The only reason to go to Gamesworld is to see the hot blonde bird that works there.

Where? Never noticed that in any of their stores? Or are you being sarky?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Hmmm...off to gamesworld it is then...:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Arken Thell

Ehh have you ever considered TELLING game that they have the wrong price on things??
    They have their prices set by their head office and cant make the neccessary corrections to a competitive price for a couple of days. So most ppl who post here probably see a high price on the day of release and never bother checking that they might have reduced it to a chheper price.
    Plus if you tell them that it's cheeper somplece else they'll match it for you.
    It's the pubisheres who are the rip off merchants not the retailers most of the tiem game sell the games at the rrp anyway.
    If you want a company to have lower prices tel them cos otherwise they'll make the same mistakes over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Nope - Doesn't Work.

I was in game about 2 weeks ago and Pikmin for the GC was 49.99 New and 49.97 Second Hand.
    I pointed this out and the guy at the counter acted like he didn't believe me - I had to show him the games. Anyhow, he said something like "Oh, we must have missed that when the New game came down in Price, I'll look after it" and he took it off the shelf. I was in the next day and the second hand game was back on the Shelf at the same price, i.e. he waited for me to go, then put it back on the Shelf - Very Professional !

Also, I was in Game last week and my mate was looking at another game for GC second-hand - it was 49.99 Second-Hand in game - we went down to Gameswold in Liffey Street and it was 35 second-hand.

So, that spiel about the publishers is rubbish in this case - game bought this back second hand and want to resell it at a riduclous price. I've seen people in there selling games - the most I've ever seen anyone get was 15 Euro !

Originally posted by Arken Thell
    Ehh have you ever considered TELLING game that they have the wrong price on things??
    They have their prices set by their head office and cant make the neccessary corrections to a competitive price for a couple of days. So most ppl who post here probably see a high price on the day of release and never bother checking that they might have reduced it to a chheper price.
    Plus if you tell them that it's cheeper somplece else they'll match it for you.
    It's the pubisheres who are the rip off merchants not the retailers most of the tiem game sell the games at the rrp anyway.
    If you want a company to have lower prices tel them cos otherwise they'll make the same mistakes over and over again.

It can only be a deliberate policy. I mean all they have to do is walk down the street and check the prices themselves and everyone who works in a shop does this. So they know the prices. I was in Game in Blanch center when a guy was returning a game that he had bought earlier because he'd just found it it was 15 euro down the hall in HMV. Quite often Virgin which is directly across from game is a lot cheaper. Though if you walk 5 mins to Smyths nearly everything is cheaper.

• Advertisement

Nope - Doesn't Work.I was in game about 2 weeks ago and Pikmin for the GC was 49.99 New and 49.97 Second Hand.

I gotta ask Deadlock..were you interested in buying it, or just proving your astonishing awareness of the state of the Irish gaming industry? In my experience, if you want it, and they've got the price wrong..they'll reduce it, but if you're just demonstrating how clever you are, you'll get the kind of response you got......

Originally posted by Absolam
    I gotta ask Deadlock..were you interested in buying it, or just proving your astonishing awareness of the state of the Irish gaming industry? In my experience, if you want it, and they've got the price wrong..they'll reduce it, but if you're just demonstrating how clever you are, you'll get the kind of response you got......

...are you reading the same thread the rest of us are?

I was doing it for the good of my health.

What do you think ?

I asked them about it and said I would be interested, but their prices seemed to be out of date and told the guy about the game. He said that they must have missed that one and he would correct it and he also said that about every 2 week they checked the prices, and I should check back every 2 weeks or so to see what they had etc...
    Like I said, the price never changed - not the next day or more than 2 weeks later.

So, I gotta ask Absolam...Why are you being so defensive ?

Also, regardless or whether or not I was being "clever" - their prices were arseways, shouldn't they be at all interested in providing a better service ?

"you'll get the kind of response you got" - What a load of crap

So, I gotta ask Absolam...Why are you being so defensive ?

'Cos whether it's Smyths, Gamesworld, Game, Virgin, whatever, I know those guys put up with a lot from 'gamers' who reckon they're the lifeblood of the industry. And having been one of those guys stuck behind a counter...we just don't care! Buy it if you want it, otherwise don't hassle us..we never decided the prices, most of us were just there for the discount we got!

As for 'providing a better service'...be nice you get nice...either way it never made a diference to how we got paid!

So you would rather that people just bitch on the web and don't actually try and do something about it ?

If you're just gonna bitch, then yeah! Leave the guys who work there alone, they can't do anything about it, so why hassle them?

I'm all for voting with your feet..I read the forums, check around and shop where the best prices are....THAT makes a bigger difference to these companies than hassling some poor sales assistant..

Originally posted by Absolam
    ....'gamers' who reckon they're the lifeblood of the industry. ......

Who do you think buys the games then? :)

Oh, I dunno, maybe the not-so-vocal majority who buy games, enjoy them, but don't feel it confers an automatic right to lord it over those who sell them for a living? The vast majority of us I guess.

Leave the guys who work there alone, they can't do anything about it, so why hassle them?
    So we shouldn't complain about prices ?

The problem with Game is that it's a big store in goold locations. I'd say 70% + of the people who shop there aren't gamers, i.e. buying presents, games for their kids etc...

So, if people don't complain how will these people ever know about the prices they are paying?

This is a typical attitude - "Oh let's not say anything and go somewhere else, and screw the people who don't know any better"
    And having been one of those guys stuck behind a counter...we just don't care
    And if won't say anything as an employee, that's you're failing - if you're not interested in makeint the shop/company any better it will never improve - as a gamer and employee yourself, don't you feel like you in some position to actually, really try and do something - at least try, as opposed to "we just don't care" ?

So you're complaining so that the customers in the shop can see you complain and take notice of you? How noble!

To clarify my quote 'we just dont care' that you think you're special.

We do care that a genuine, pleasant customer making a purchase gets the best price we (in our limited capacity as sales staff!) can give them. As I said before, it tends very much to depend on the attitude you come to us with in the first place.

• Advertisement

So you're complaining so that the customers in the shop can see you complain and take notice of you
    If in the process of pointing out the prices, I help somebody else, that's great - do have a problem with that ?

Are you actually telling us, as customers, that we shouldn't complain ? If not - what are you telling us ?
    We do care that a genuine, pleasant customer making a purchase gets the best price we (in our limited capacity as sales staff!) can give them. As I said before, it tends very much to depend on the attitude you come to us with in the first place.
    When have I said I was rude to this guy ? Or are you assuming everybody is out to get you ?
    Buy it if you want it, otherwise don't hassle us..we never decided the prices, most of us were just there for the discount we got!
    and
    gets the best price we (in our limited capacity as sales staff!) can give them

Either you can give a discount or not - which is it ?

If not, why do you say you can (if even in a limited capacity) ?
    If so, how would the customer get this better price, if (s)he didn't complain in the first place ?

I didn't say don't complain; I said be nice!
    Sales staff (in Game & Gamesworld, anyway) can match competitor prices, or amend incorrect prices on the spot, as with your example). Most of us want to do it.....if you're pleasant to us. If you're not, or you embarrass us, or behave like you're something special...then we won't.

I didn't say don't complain
    Actually, you did:
    Buy it if you want it, otherwise don't hassle us
    or amend incorrect prices on the spot, as with your example
    They guy didn't amend the price - that was my whole point - he didn't change it then or afterwards, and I was nice about it.
    Most of us want to do it.....if you're pleasant to us
    I can understand that rude people piss you off, but should you still try and do your job as best you can - isn't that part and parcel of dealing with the public ?
    If you're not, or you embarrass us, or behave like you're something special...then we won't
    So, we have to treat the Sales staff like the're something special - like they're going out of their way to help us ?

I said
    don't hassle us
    not
    don't complain
    but if you can't tell the difference then
    don't hassle us
    and
    don't complain

and if you want us to do something for you, other take your money off you, which is what we do for our employers,
    then remember we ARE going out of our way for you, so
    treat the Sales staff like the're something special
    or they're not likely to do you any favours!

As far as I can see Absolam you have the typical Irish attitude where people are disuaded from kicking up a fuss at the lousy service and rip off prices in Irish shops. In fact you seem to think the shops are doing the customers a favour. Which is frankly bonkers.

In my experience kicking up as big a fuss, and complaining like a lunatic, gets far more results than not complaining and having a quiet word in someones ear. In fact I have had many situations were I had to get on to consumer organisations, Visa and even go to the small courts to get satisfaction and my basic rights from various Irish companies/shops.

If more people complained shops would give a proper service and competitive prices. Certainly you wouldn't get away with the rubbish we have to put with in many other countries in the world.

I had a situation where I had a problem with faulty gfx card in a games shop, returned it and I saw the guy turn around and sell it to another customer 5 mins later. Needless to say I no longer shop there. But I did complain about it.

Well Said Ricardo !!

Absolam, did you, or did you not say :

"Buy it if you want it, otherwise don't hassle us"

If this doesn't mean don't complain to the people working there, what does it mean ?

Also, you give discounts because you have permission to do so - otherwise you would be fired (for charging incorrect prices) - correct ?

If so, then giving somebody a discount is part of your job, so how is doing your job "going out of our way for you" ?

I think the point has to be made that the majority of ppl who go into a shop and kick up a fuss do tend to get lousy service. Normally because they go in on the busiest day and tend to stress out the already stressed sales assistant.
    Yes they are ment to do their job, but rember three things,

1. the customer is not always right

2. the sales assistant is a person too, does have feelings, bad days, and if they work in a games shop is a gamer themselves so they actually can identify wiht you.

3.they don't get paid eneough to take a load of S**t off pretentious person who kicks up a fuss when a situation arises that is totally out of their hands.

Yes game and gamesworld can do competitior checks. Alot of ppl dont ask for that 'cos they go down the road instead.

Yes they do actually go to the shops and check the prices of the competitors down the road.
    For secondhand games it's a quality thing that why some are more expensive in other stores.

So just stop complaining, if you have a problem with a company, write to the company's head office and not to the lowley sales assistant on minimum wage who cant do anything much about it ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I cried when I read this, truely it was one of the most moving things I've read this year. *sniffle*

If your being sincire, thank you , if not well it's not polite for me to say what i'd like to here.

• Advertisement

Yes indeed. Shine on you crazy diamond Arken Thell (By thw way, I AM being sarcastic)

Advertisement