Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colloquial Euphemisms

• 04-04-2003 7:49pm
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

Ok, so maybe I didn't need to put "colloquial" in there, but dammit I love that word! :).

I can't remember the one I heard earlier but I was quite impressed, I'll post it up when I remember.

Any good ones from you lot? Any subject.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I remembered, calling a small person "fun size".

Not really an insult, more of an entertaining witticism. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

For some reason, "the happy class" always makes me grin.
    I'm like that, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks to Brian, for the following examples!

argy-bargy - this is in the dictionary as noisy quarrelling. However, a former rugby commentator for the BBC used to use it when it really meant, I think, that the players were beating the lard out of each other.

Irish GAA commentators sometimes talk about a schmozzle (I'm not sure how to spell this). Again, this would be a euphemism, I think; they might be killing each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

stunningly, my brother recently came out with a story which contained the following lines:

yeah, so i was 'feekin' my 'biore'.
    so then the 'schnouters' came and i 'peeled' me 'dutchie'.
    we had to 'burn it' into the 'chinkies'.

amazing, that. i think i klnow whats going on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Eh????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Praetorian
    argy-bargy - this is in the dictionary as noisy quarrelling. However, a former rugby commentator for the BBC used to use it when it really meant, I think, that the players were beating the lard out of each other.
    Also a favourite of Murray Walker (dammit, I played F1:97 far too much as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

something of poor quality : Melojin , but thats not really a euphemism..
    growing up in the backwoods of Derry i should know a few!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

I heard a new term for lesbians - not an inuslting ones...somebody called them Laser Beams...I thought it was pretty funky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer
    I heard a new term for lesbians - not an inuslting ones...somebody called them Laser Beams...I thought it was pretty funky

"Women in comfortable shoes" to quote Robin Williams in "Good Morning Vietnam"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Originally posted by kirn
    stunningly, my brother recently came out with a story which contained the following lines:

yeah, so i was 'feekin' my 'biore'.
    so then the 'schnouters' came and i 'peeled' me 'dutchie'.
    we had to 'burn it' into the 'chinkies'.

I could be near certain you live in Cavan or a surrounding county.
    "Ah yeah I was feekin the gowel on the bure .Den her oul boy walked in and I pure broke his face ah ha ha"
    For non locals it translates as
    "Oh yes.I was in the process of copulating with an attractive female.While doing this her father walked in and became enraged,at which I assaulted him and left him with facial injuries"

Also is there anywhere else in the country that refers to a womans vagina as the gee(proncouned with a g)?

For more local talk www.iol.ie/~cparker/cavanese.htm

I only ever heard people here say bure in the last year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

"Bure" seems to disappear down the country only to reappear south of the Munster Blackwater. Odd that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

"special".

Advertisement