Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Satire] Privatise This War!!

Options
  • 04-04-2003 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

LOL - i like the comparisons between FIFA, the Miss World contest and the UN. I think it is an interesting reflection of US arrogance that things like the 'World Series' only feature US teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

The reason that only American teams play in the world series is that nobody outside of America understands or wants to play American Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Whoops, sorry. See, people don't even know what they're playing, never mind the rules to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    LOL - i like the comparisons between FIFA, the Miss World contest and the UN. I think it is an interesting reflection of US arrogance that things like the 'World Series' only feature US teams.

Here's a bit of advice for you Éomer: I suggest you at least make a half-hearted attempt to look up facts before spouting off with blatant inaccuracies. It only makes you look more foolish than you do already. :D

• Advertisement

I would like to see you substantiate that - something you're not hot on in our arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Oh well excuse me, two nations can play in the world series. That makes it all right then. How many countries are there on earth? And out of all those, the 51st state gets to play in the 'world series' as well as the US? Oh my attitude was obviously mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Well, in fairness, thats only Major League Baseball World Series....and the reason for that is because Canada and the US are currently the only people running Major League teams.

On the other hand, Little League World Series Baseball (same sport, which is what people seem to be arguing over here) is played by teams from the US, Canada, Central and Latin America, Europe and the Asian Pacific. The "European" leagus also contains a team from Africa and one from the Middle East.

Thats enough for a World Series for me, and I can honestly say that putting any of the Little League teams up against the Major League teams would be as fair a match as the US vs Iraqi armies appears to be, so you can hardly blame them for being sporting about the "divisions".

However, if memory serves, there is nothing preventing other teams from becoming eligible for Major League. I have vague recollections of Japan either being involved at some point, or considering becoming involved.

So, while Major League Baseball World Series may be a bit of a misnomer, its no different from Formula 1 considering itself to be a "world" sport when historitcally, almost all of the teams have been firmly based in Europe.

And I thought the article in question was a classic. Why it has to descend to this level of pedantry is beyond me, but if people aren't gonna go check up all the facts on both sides and present them reasonably, then the least I can do is do it for them.

jc

Advertisement