Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future of Compsoc

• 04-04-2003 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Its coming to the end of the year again so its time to start suggesting people for the positions in compsoc next year. I believe Ivor wont be around so we're down a president. Is keith coming back next year maybe he'd be up for the job.

I'm not running for any positions for compsoc as it appears as though I'm giving compsoc a bad image (we like games only!).

I believe Francis was interested in going for President and I'd imagine dara is pretty interested in some position, although I dont mean to speak for him.

Anyway, feel free to put your suggestions here - any ACTUAL members of compsoc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭ratman

Me thinks Francis would fill the position well. How does the voting work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Well people can just suggest names here, or suggest themselves, name their position they wish to go for. And once everyone who's interested has put their name forward we'll do some kind of vote - I guess on boards or whatever is easiest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

can I be the official absentee member?
    I'll turn up at compsoc events haflway through the night, stay for about 5 minutes and then leave again...

will there be a salary>?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'll vote Francis as the president. He's a good laugh.
    Anyhowz, me is coming back in June, and will be around till December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

i think it should be one of those guys whos names i dont know, you know the lads who play wolfenstein and UT all the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

President: Ciaran (he has earned it). No ciaran, ur not giving CompSoc a bad name. We all like to play games and I have hear no sugestions on what ppl want to do in CompSoc that does not involve games. (eg: The PS2 rocks and so does Ivor and Ciaran for getting it and since Ivor is not around the Ciaran should get the position, anyways he has been around longer than anyone. Also CompSoc now had 8gig of space, sh!t load of games, a PS2, its open untill 10 and not 9, something we nearly did not get and more stuff).
    If anyone has any sugestions of things we can do in CompSoc that does not involve games speak up! but no one has ever sugested anything to me....
    Vice-President: Francis. (He has been around since the start, this year, and while none of the "blowin's were here ;)" and he willing sell he body for the good of CompSoc).
    Treasurer: Steven. (Has also been here since the start and is a good all round ............. stoner, we need one of them ;))
    Secretary: ME!! :D . (Well I did not do much this year but I belive that in my own defence I did not have a list of email addesses of members so I could not. but I did get some games for CompSoc, kinda lame but VOTE FOR MEEEEE!!!!! :D)

Other potencial candidates:

(If they want any positions) would be:

Bicky
    I_am_Dogboy
    Havoc (but not sure if he is in carlow next year)

the above are people who have been around since the start and been in CompSoc more than the rest

Originally posted by Snowball
    Treasurer: Steven. (Has also been here since the start and is a good all round ............. stoner, we need one of them ;))

I object we should definily have more than one stoner

look everyone, rat got a second star!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

hahah! nice one dogboy!!
    yeah i dont care what way the positions go next year...

im with dogboy though i think that maybe morpheos would make a good something, not sure what but something..

President, i dont know what the president is supposed to do. as far as i can make out he is the guy that just gets a game going and gets people to shut up when they're too loud and simple stuff like that..

Vice-president, dont know about this position either?? But, to be a society ( dunno if i spelt that right ) we need positions to be filled.. anyone can do this..

Treasurer ( joke ) i think that position is only needed for one day which is the clubs and socs day at the start of the year. someone is needed to collect money and count it and hand into the SU or where ever it goes.. ill do it again next year though just so i can say "yup, im the treasurer"...

And secretary... i think this be the most important position of them all. Someone to talk to computer services and stuff like that...

Anyways, whens the voting start?
    you want me to start a poll???? ;)

only if it involves another bottle of whiskey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

yeah ciaran you should be up for the job - you've helped the previous two presidents - me and ivor!! so you should go for it!! your the only person ive seen who really confuses the techies!! its quite funny really!!

So i'l be back in carlow and compsoc in sept!!! Excellent!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I would vote ciaran for president, he's the most persistant person I know so if he wants something done for compsoc he'll more than likley will get it done.

I'm up for the job of secritary if u lot think I am worthy. I will earn my keep this time round though (well, I would need a email list but I will do stuff, promise... I AM NOT A CROOK!! :D)

Ciaran for President and Fransis for VP!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

looks like there forcing you into it . rember u must have one first year in charge also . i think u should have him doing all the talking to the teck guys . get one that can lie swindel like i did every night we wanted the room open ... twas nice back then having a room open whenever we wanted

Every organisation needs a gopher.
    e.g. the guy who goes for everything

go pherk yourself

i think we should get someone who didn't work for compsoc this year, i'm not saying i should have the job because i'd actually like to work for 3rd year

i think we should get someone who would be willing to work to get leagues going, and possibly matches of quake or UT against other colleges, just to make the whole compsoc thing a little bit more interesting

anyone agree?

I do but I won't be here. New blood could be a good thing but you cant get rid of the people that are already there already.

If anyone who wanted the jobs put up there hands and then the members could vote.

I think we should get some pussy little first year as the one who goes to the shop every night and he could get some air fresheners ****in smell of that room we have to do something about that it's ****ing sick...................

...........and i an't be the little runner boy i'll be a second year next year. HEY EVERYBODY LOOK DOGBOYS ONLY GOT ONE STAR

Ok, I've changed my mind I will run for a compsoc position.

I'm going to run for Vice-President. NOT President.

Everyone knows VP does all the work anyway but President gets all the blame when nothing goes right.

So my vote :

Francis (Sicnarf) for President
    Ciaran (Ivan) for Vice-President
    Steven (Stoner) & Willie (I_am_Dogboy) for Treasurer
    Dara (Snowball) & Aidan (Ratman) want to run for Secretary

If anyone has any other suggestions (as we'd like more than one person running for each position to make it democratic and all) then go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

just to point out, that we've never had a VPres before.
    and i will always be around, meaning i will be back in sept, repeating or fourth year, repeating me thinks.
    and i'll be down thurs again for SU elections.

Vote Anto for Pres, Chris Mahon for VP, Tom Doyle for Deputy

does that mean u want to be Pres???

SINCE WHEN WAS I RUNNING FOR SECRETARY I CAN'T WEAR THEM SKIRTS ANYMORE THE JUDGE TOLD ME I'D GET IN TROUBLE AGAIN

I just got a flash in my head of RAT in a skirt.

CLEAN UP ON THIRD FLOOR

Premature ejaculation

Originally posted by ratman
    Premature ejaculation
    of projectile vomit.

don't say you didn't enjoy it

What does secretary do????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

do you want to be secretary rat? (why aren't you in class) - i wrote that in brackets so it's not spamming

• Advertisement

a Secretary has the job of keeping all the members informed of what happends at the Compsoc board meetings (if there is any) and or any other relevant information that, the president and Vice President feel is important, the members of CompSoc should have. Basicly means that u have to spend your time keeping track of what is going on in the society and keep the members informed. I also asume that it goes for the reverse that u will be incharge of keeping the Pres and the VP abreast of any info that they need to know. I also asume that (depending on what the pres wants) you will need to be the go-between for the soc and the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Snowball
    Ciaran been around longer than anyone.

Spacedog has been around the longest ! ? I was here too.

I think we need to get a proper gaming lab set up. In lab I mean we can set up the games the way we like meaning no restrictions and stuff - maybe in a perfect world!

Computer services suck, they are too strict. I was in Dundalk IT there the other day and my bro is studying there too - no novell, no restrictions, no hassle! Freedom of speech, downloads - games!

Like why do they(comp services) even put Real Player on the machines in the 3rd floor LRC if we can't even watch a live stream or play a real file? Muppetry!

Originally posted by mada999
    Snowball

I think we need to get a proper gaming lab set up. In lab I mean we can set up the games the way we like meaning no restrictions and stuff - maybe in a perfect world!

Computer services suck, they are too strict. I was in Dundalk IT there the other day and my bro is studying there too - no novell, no restrictions, no hassle! Freedom of speech, downloads - games!

Like why do they(comp services) even put Real Player on the machines in the 3rd floor LRC if we can't even watch a live stream or play a real file? Muppetry!

Please, dont get Elexes and Sicnarf started, please...

If you were here from the start you would know that getting our own lab is completely impossible. We've been told, again and again that we can pretty much do what we like so long as it doesnt interfere with the normal function of the computers. Getting a whole load of computers with unrestricted access...well thats just plain crazy.

And yes, I agree. Pure Muppetry by the comp services. But that doesnt change the fact that they are in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

this is stupid, how many times do we have to repeat stuff like this? We are lucky Comp Services even let use the lab with all the noise we make, the rubbish we leave in the room and with all the crap we leave on the machines. We got complaints off Comp Services before for leaving games on the machines and normal people playing them. They blamed other people playing games during college hours on us, just because we left games on the machines d drive. And you think they would be willing to install Games for us or software upgrades? NO... They dont see the need. So why the **** would they bother giving us BRAND NEW machines to **** about with? They wouldnd. Just remember, EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

And yes, I agree. Pure Muppetry by the comp services. But that doesnt change the fact that they are in charge.

What? **** that. They aint the boss of me. I want Charles in charge of me!!!!!!!!

milking the cow

• Advertisement

milking the cow

All I'm fúcking sayin' is whats the point in having a gaming society that isn't allowed play games ? (and don't start telling me it's a computer society coz all that happens is people play games or watch family guys)

Thats like having a racing society but no races to goto or a badmintion society wihout out rackets ? thats a load of shít! I'm sick of these computer services merchants.

The student union and the college are trying to promote people getting involved in societies, but whats the point if the society is not allowed do what it has been set up for?

We have to push for these things not just by told "NO" because that would mean more hassle for the computer services people.
    I think the next compsoc(gamesoc) pres should push for all this ****!

IVAN
    If you were here from the start you would know that getting our own lab is completely impossible. We've been told, again and again that we can pretty much do what we like so long as it doesnt interfere with the normal function of the computers. Getting a whole load of computers with unrestricted access...well thats just plain crazy.

I have been here a few years now.

Why don't compsoc buy fúcking removable hard drives like the ones we got (cnoc2) for our projects, then we could put what ever the fúck we like on them ?

Think about it people this is obvious! This should have been done at the start of the year. ok

I am sick of having to reply to this crap. If you read my post you would have seen that I said THIS YEAR (sorry but ppl dont read stuff, anyways if u missunderstod it it might have been my fault 2 so soz).
    Originally posted by Snowball
    ...He has been around since the start, this year...
    I meant that soly regarding this year.I have not been around before so how would i know. Anyways I was at the 2nd CompSoc meeting and I have not missed one untill a month ago and Fransis and Steven were there as much as I was so thats why I said what I said. Spacedog and yourself have not been around that much (not ment as critisisum, just fact. ppl have college commitments so its understandable). If u want to run for a position post it and post why and what u wanna do in the position.

Dude! what world do u like in??? We play computer games. Its not like we do anything constructive or (like stevenk said) "Educational", we don't even do anything for the college image. Why would they want to dedicate a room, computers and resourses for us when they can be spent on a ... NetSoc for example??? they wouldn't. And about the full access?? I would not let me have full access to the network or a single computer why would they??? Not only could someone easily **** up the entire network by accident it could be done on purpose. anyways there is no need. we do fine as we do. Yes it would be ns but it's never going to happen.

All I'm fúcking sayin' is whats the point in having a gaming society that isn't allowed play games ? (and don't start telling me it's a computer society coz all that happens is people play games or watch family guys)

Thats like having a racing society but no races to goto or a badmintion society wihout out rackets ? thats a load of shít! I'm sick of these computer services merchants.

The student union and the college are trying to promote people getting involved in societies, but whats the point if the society is not allowed do what it has been set up for?
    The reason that other societies get so much funding is that they attract potencial students, attract outside invesment and bring up the image of the college, we dont do that.
    We have to push for these things not just by told "NO" because that would mean more hassle for the computer services people.
    I think the next compsoc(gamesoc) pres should push for all this ****!

Why don't compsoc buy fúcking removable hard drives like the ones we got (cnoc2) for our projects, then we could put what ever the fúck we like on them ?

Think about it people this is obvious! This should have been done at the start of the year. ok
    Run for president and then do all the work ur self. No point in moaing about it.
    As for as I have been told (think Ivan told me, not sure though) the removable harddrives thing was tried and they got robbed.

thieving cúnts, i think it's worth another shot though.

• Advertisement

I think ur right. If I am elected I will remind the pres and VP and do my best to get stuff like that implimented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

We got the removable hard-drives the year Spacedog was Pres., i was here to.
    as far as i can remember we got 4 10 Gig that were given to Spacedog and Elexes, and just happened to disappear.

And i'm not running for anything

OMG Mada be practical for fúk sake. Compsoc has come a LONG way from its origins, and yet not thanks to the people who "claim" to have been there from the begining. Elexes is long gone, you + spacedog rarely come to meetings. The people who give out about compsoc saying it only involves playing games and shíte are the ones who dont give a damn about it.

Next year, come to compsoc every Monday + Wednesday like some of the members have (Morpheus, Shinzon) and then ask for something. After coming to meetings for that amount of time you'll have a more realistic attitude. Removable hdds? Oh for the love of god what are you smoking?

Compsoc has 0 budget. Read that again, we dont have ANY MONEY. Computer services and as a result the college, have absolutely no interest in supply equipment for us.

As for others saying we do nothing but play games, I've heard this since the begining of last year. Yet no one is willing to do anything about it. I tried to organise a lecture from a lecturer in UCD, which RedBrick streamed, I was going to display it on the LCD but comp services screwed up and the proxy caught the link so I couldnt open it. But even if I did, no one had ANY interest in it. Its tough love, but we only deal with supply and demand. There is only a demand for games, so we only supply games. All the people who talk about shells and SSH are basically looking for a way to use the colleges resources for warez. I cant talk, I would do the same if I could but I'm more realistic, IT AINT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I would love a box for websites, or mail services or our own internal chat program. But truth be known, its either no wanted by the majority or will be exploited by the minority. It just isnt going to happen. I dont know why I'm hearing repeating myself, over and over again. IT ISNT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Not the best attitude for a Vice-President of the compsoc to have, I know, but I've gone into computer services about 10 dozen times asking for something only to be told No . Sure we can extend it to 10, because the LRC is staying open this year, that long. It alternates depending on how the board decides. Next year it will probably be back to 9 who knows.

Sure we got 9 Gigs this year, because it was the natural progression from last year. Big woop, they give us crumbs and every celebrates thinking we could maybe get more.

I challenge ANYONE to run for President of compsoc saying, yes I will get Head phones, removable HDDS and restrictions removed. I then dare this person to run again next year, or better yet, I dare you to show your face in compsoc.

I, above most people, would love to see compsoc get all these things, but if comp services wont even allow us to get some headphones, or do a new policy for compsoc then why in gods name would they give us any of the other things.

Think about it.

I'm going to create a thread tomorrow for the elections for compsoc positions (Or maybe later tonight, not sure) so keep an eye out for it.

If you wish (Mada/Spacedog) to have your name entered for the election please feel free to post/pm/email your desire to do so. I can be contacted at com20055@itcarlow.ie or you can email me through my profile.
    I think ur right. If I am elected I will remind the pres and VP and do my best to get stuff like that implimented.

P.s. Dara, shut up.

All the people who talk about shells and SSH are basically looking for a way to use the colleges resources for warez

oh please, that is such unbelievable bull****!
    how in the **** would we get any warezing goin on with the firewall in this college? it's unreal. i want a linux box with ssh out, to check my mail, remote file storing (yes, legitimate files), programming, web space. plus it gives people a feel for the linux OS, and it's a pretty damned nice OS too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

even though i have nothing to do with your college i agree with mordeth on this one. SSH out is essential. not everyone uses webmail and need ssh to access their mail on a remote server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm with Mordeth on this one.

I'm an admin on a Compsoc server and of course some of the users use it to get material of dubious origin but theres a hell of a lot of other good uses a server can be put to. Having a shell on a linux box only enables you to get anything if the users have incoming ftp/dcc.

Mordeth himself makes use of these facilities on the server.

I was pointing out on the NetSoc thread that there were inherent problems with having two similar societies but I can actuallty see now why it'll end up that way!

Originally posted by Mordeth
    oh please, that is such unbelievable bull****!
    how in the **** would we get any warezing goin on with the firewall in this college? it's unreal. i want a linux box with ssh out, to check my mail, remote file storing (yes, legitimate files), programming, web space. plus it gives people a feel for the linux OS, and it's a pretty damned nice OS too!

Right, yeah. Thats exactly how the average compsoc members feels.

And thats exactly how they started out in Galway, and then almost overnight it became one of the biggest "warez'ing" colleges in Ireland. Then almost as fast the compsoc got gutted.

Originally posted by sjones
    even though i have nothing to do with your college i agree with mordeth on this one. SSH out is essential. not everyone uses webmail and need ssh to access their mail on a remote server.

A) Shut up
    B) There is already SSH + FTP in the college, why you need to do it through linux is news to me.

all the warez in galway was internal, sfa of it was dl'ed on the server.
    Right, yeah. Thats exactly how the average compsoc members feels.

well this is for netsoc, not compsoc. and entirely different soc with (probably) different people, with different interests! people won't join netsoc unless they *want* to get some networking done, learn about it or talk aboutit or whatever. and a linux box would be incredibly useful for this.
    Then almost as fast the compsoc got gutted.

the compsoc got gutted? .. i was there, and there was no gutting involved. it's still a very active compsoc, it still has a very nice linux box (iirc they are getting a sun server very soon), and they still hold tutorials on many different computer related subjects every now and again.

A) Shut up
    B) There is already SSH + FTP in the college, why you need to do it through linux is news to me

A) keep a civil tongue on my board.

b) there is NOT ssh out in the college, it was blocked a few weeks ago. if you had any interest or ever used it, you probably would know this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement