Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something To Do Over The Summer . . .

Options
  • 04-04-2003 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished up first year computer science. Throughout the course of the year we managed to get spectacularily bugger all done, a little Java, some web programming and shell scripting. On top of that I've got a fair whack of C (ironically more than I've learned in Java) and a bit of VB from books I've gotten from the library. Anyway, my point is I want to try and teach myself something useful over the Summer, ideally something that isn't going to be taught in college so I can make myself that little bit more employable down the line. Also I want to stay away from web programming, from what I can see there's going to be a huge glut of internet people if there aren't already. I can't say that software development sounds like my cup of tea either. I've been considering extending my Unix knowledge, I'm thinking of maybe going down the path of a Unix administrator. I could also extend my C beyond arrays, structures, I/O etc.

All in all I'm clueless, maybe someone can suggest something to do that might help me get a relevent job next Summer. Ta in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Say this on The Phobos Lab...

Doom3 TC Mod Help Wanted

might be interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Join the network society in your college, log in and learn about unix. Once you know a decent amount ( from reading manuals, asking people, trial and error, whatever ), see can you get involved with adminning the system. Also try and get a spare machine at home to install linux and/or freebsd on, mess around to your hearts content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

PEARL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Originally posted by sjones
    PEARL

What's that?

Anyway if you are thinking of picking up some skills I suggest you download a copy of a decent database like Oracle and play with that. As well as linux you could look at x86 Solaris.

davej

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Well I'm planning on memorising the multiplication tables up to 99x99.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by davej
    What's that?

A programming language obivously :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I presume he meant Perl Which I'm incidentally planning on learning myself, but I believe there is a new version of the language coming out soon so it might be worth waiting for that before you begin.

Yes I'd consider myself reasonably useful with perl. Along with awk and expect, it handles all my scripting and regexp needs.

Interestingly (but not surprisingly) there is a language called PEARL but I doubt that was what sjones meant :-)

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by daveirl
    Since you've done some basic C why not do some more advanced stuff. Get a book on Data Structures and Algorithms in C. Then when you do eventually come around to Data Structures and Algorithms in Java it'll make it a bit easier to learn that, and you can write down both on your CV.

Huuummmmm, I could do that, I don't see much working going for C programmers these days though.
    Originally posted by Gerry
    Join the network society in your college, log in and learn about unix. Once you know a decent amount ( from reading manuals, asking people, trial and error, whatever ), see can you get involved with adminning the system. Also try and get a spare machine at home to install linux and/or freebsd on, mess around to your hearts content.

Network soc? I got a few ROFL's from that. I already have Debian on a computer at home.
    Originally posted by davej
    Anyway if you are thinking of picking up some skills I suggest you download a copy of a decent database like Oracle and play with that. As well as linux you could look at x86 Solaris.

Databases? Bleargh. As for Solaris, I'll look into that.
    Originally posted by Sev
    Well I'm planning on memorising the multiplication tables up to 99x99.

That's helpful :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Advertisement