Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ati Or Geforce?

• 04-04-2003 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

I'd like to know which is better. I've looked at many benchmarks, and tests run by different companies, websites, people in teh comparason between ati radeon 9000 series and the Geforce Ti series. The results have being very confusing and left me not knowing which is better. I've being told that the ati does out perform the ti, but with every new release of detonators for the geforce cards it increases the card performance but i'm told that ati don't release that often their catalyst drivers but only to fix bugs not performance. So to ask the question again, which is better?

Ati Or Geforce? 40 votes

Ati Radeon Series
    0% 0 votes
    Geforce Ti Series
    47% 19 votes
    Some other magical graphics card, nobodys heard of!
    52% 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Nividia have dropped the ball and ATI are pulling ahead right now.... curse my GF4 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

NVIDIA.. Blind faith. But I was a big 3DFX fan aswell :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech. Why does nobody read the damn charter? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Simply put the ATI cards have had issues with drivers in the past, both with buggy drivers and slow to update/fix them. They also have had issues with many older titles. But they are getting better with their drivers lately and few people play older titles as many of them are not supported in XP anyway. The top end ATI cards are similar in speed to the Nvidia cards, but are a lot faster if you use AA. (anti aliasing)

The Nvidia cards used to have great drivers but lately theres been a few problems with the newer drivers they have released. Nvidia cards tend to work well with older games though, and for some this is the main reason to stick with them. While as fast as the ATI cards without AA. Most Nvidia cards are a lot slower than the ATI cards when AA is turned on.

Up to now I have stuck to Nvidia cards, as I have had fewer problems with them, and lots of problems with ATI cards. I also used to play lots of older titles and didn't use AA that much.

However lately I don't really play older titles that much, am starting to use AA a lot more in the new games I play and find that the image quality on the ATI cards seem subjectively better than the Nvidia ones. Also I'm hearing much less problems with the ATI drivers.

My plan currently is to keep the GF4ti4200 I have for the moment as it plays everything I have fine, but I reckon my next card will be an ATI card.

Another plus for the newer ATI cards is that they tend to run a lot cooler than the newer Nvidia cards, and as I hate noisy fans in my PC, an ATI card will be easier to cool passively. Though my current GF4 is passively cooled anyway. I doubt that the new Nvidia FX card, could be run without a noisy fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I doubt that the new Nvidia FX card, could be run without a noisy fan.
    apparently, one of the companies that make cards using the fx chipset have come up with a fan that's about as loud as a human heartbeat, i think it was gainward...
    if it wasn't for hearing that i'd have gone off nvidia for good (i hate noisy pc's so much!)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tman
    apparently, one of the companies that make cards using the fx chipset have come up with a fan that's about as loud as a human heartbeat, i think it was gainward...
    if it wasn't for hearing that i'd have gone off nvidia for good (i hate noisy pc's so much!)

I read that story, I seem to remember it either wasn't true or was taken out of context. There were a few threads about it on other forums. I think they reduced the noise of it but it was still a pretty loud at the end of the day. If Zalman can cool a 4600 or a 9700 passively, then I'm sorry but having any fan at all isn't trying hard enough for me. If you are going to use a fan then make it a quiet one at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Someone post that pic of the card with 5 GPU's and many RAM Chips. I cant find it.
    But I was a big 3DFX fan aswell

Your not alone, but there's still quite a strong 3dfx tweaking/drivers community.

Drivers that will play UT2K3 on WindowsXP for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I had an ATI Rage 128 back in the day and I hated it dreadfully. Got a GeForce2 card instead, which was far, far superior. But now, I've had an ATI Radeon 8500 128Meg card, and it's easily the best thing I've used. I suppose if you told me I'd be back using an ATI card again, I'd have laughed... But heh, that's life.

ATI all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

always stuck with ATI, always will,
    and the fact that ATI are now not only gaining ground on nvidia but surpassing them floats my boat:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

• Advertisement

Not exactly a card either in production or in the mainstream is it though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im my computers i have a ati 9000 and a nvida gf2 ultra and a gf4 mx 460

from benchmarks the gf2 is a tiny bit better then the ati 9000 both systems are almost identical but the nvidia scores 500 more in the benchmarks on average .

the gf4 is in a very slow computer so im guessing thats why it preforms so badly with benchmarks but preforms so well in games .

id prob buy the ati 9500 or the 9700 if i had the cash . i dont like the look of the new nvidia card at all.

i gota see that 3dfx card a while back big huge monster ina guys computer it worked well . his computer was broken and i asked to buy the card he refused tho for some reason and i was let down . it looked cool . bloody huge tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ati drivers for the new radeon series had a problem on some chipsets (jerky picture)but has now been fixed and neither me or me m8 (person who had problems with older drivers) has any problems with latest drivers. They are better performance wise and have fixed any errors that we could think of.

Am very happy with my ATI card :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

nVidia, purely based on their history of rock solid drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I know Ricardo but it goes to show you the lengths at which they have to go to cool it to get it quiet. Probably better ways and it might have just been an experiment on there behalf but it looks cool.

Originally posted by elexes
    im my computers i have a ati 9000 and a nvida gf2 ultra and a gf4 mx 460

from benchmarks the gf2 is a tiny bit better then the ati 9000 both systems are almost identical but the nvidia scores 500 more in the benchmarks on average .

the gf4 is in a very slow computer so im guessing thats why it preforms so badly with benchmarks but preforms so well in games .

id prob buy the ati 9500 or the 9700 if i had the cash . i dont like the look of the new nvidia card at all.

i gota see that 3dfx card a while back big huge monster ina guys computer it worked well . his computer was broken and i asked to buy the card he refused tho for some reason and i was let down . it looked cool . bloody huge tho

Based on your experiences, which would you reckon is the best (fastest) PCI card, a 9000, or a GF4MX420?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    Someone post that pic of the card with 5 GPU's and many RAM Chips. I cant find it.
    Bitch'in Fast 3D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Based on your experiences, which would you reckon is the best (fastest) PCI card, a 9000, or a GF4MX420?

dont know in the pci versions but id go for the ultra and 9k are just a lil bit under preformance of the gf4 mx460 but the mx 460 is a good bit more expensive

depends on how mutch cash u have if ur sticking to 100 and it was between the 2 id go for the gf2ultra

Originally posted by elexes
    dont know in the pci versions but id go for the ultra and 9k are just a lil bit under preformance of the gf4 mx460 but the mx 460 is a good bit more expensive

depends on how mutch cash u have if ur sticking to 100 and it was between the 2 id go for the gf2ultra

I had a GF2ti and thought it was quite good. The 9000pro I thought was a bit slow and I changed mine for a GF4ti4200 which leaves it for dust. I was just hoping you'd guesstimate on the PCI cards thats all. I haven't used a GF4MX or a 9000 and you can get these in PCI format. I have a machine that can only take a PCI card and I was thinking of upgrading the GF2MX in it. Probably not worth it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd probably tend towards an Nvidia card if the prices were similar for the smae performance but if it came down to better bang for buck then I'd read the reviews and pick what I thought was the best buy.

(I currently have a GF2Ti)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Some 3DMark Data for machines with the same config as mine....
    no FX or 9800 data but you get the picture
    13339  108%	ATI RADEON 9700/9500 Series 
    12331  100% 	NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400 
    11640   94% 	NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 
    11372   92% 	NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400 
    11198   91% 	NVIDIA Quadro4 Series 
    11095   90% 	NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 
    9532    77% 	ATI RADEON 8500/9100 Series 
    9091    74% 	NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500 
    8537    69% 	NVIDIA GeForce3 
    8436    68%     NVIDIA Quadro DCC 
    8327    68%	NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 
    7727    63%	ATI RADEON 9000 
    7531    61% 	Matrox Parhelia 
    7153    58% 	SiS Xabre series 
    7059    57% 	NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460 
    6186    50% 	NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Think i'm going to go with the ti4800. Looks good price is ok, and komplett are out of stock of the ati 9500's lol
    thanks for your help :)

Advertisement