Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republican Guard modifier shrinkage

Options
  • 05-04-2003 7:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

If I were a more energetic person, I might do a search of newspaper items referring to the Iraqi military organization, The Republican Guard, and try to document the changes of the modifier used before the organization's name. Not more than a week previous, it was inevitably "elite", but in the past two or three days, I haven't seen "elite" used. The term I most recently saw is "vaunted".

Is this a shrinkage of rhetorical proportions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

Bill hicks had a gag about this after the gulf war:

"First it was the elite republican guard, then the republican guard, then the republicans made this shít up about there being guards out there."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bill Hicks might have been right, I was wondering this yesterday. The elite republican guard dont exist, the Yanks say they do as it make them look good when "defeating" them, the Iraqis say they do or at least suggest they do as that suits thier internal propaganda.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I see there is even a parody "Ballad of Baghdad" on the Internet with last lines,

"Yeah, we ran through the dunes and we ran through the bunkers
    And we ran through some places where a camel couldn’t go.
    We ran so fast that their tanks couldn’t catch us,
    All they ever saw of us were backs and heels and elbows.

(Hey! Yankee! We surrender! No, no, we really mean it this time!)"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/johnnyhorton0.shtml

Advertisement