Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intervarsity T&F

Options
  • 05-04-2003 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

When was the last time that a college other than UL won the Mens title??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dunno. UL have won all mens titles since 97-98 anyway, which was the first intervarsity I was at....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fergalfit

UL just have a strong field event althetes plus a few good sprinters thats what wins it for them ever year!!

I can spell really, 'athletes'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Unfortunately we don't have a spell checker (maybe some day ...) but you can edit or delete your post by pressing the 'edit' link underneath for up to 48 hours after first posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

By the way, ye may know this but there is an ISSA T&F athletic event in CIT on the 9th of April,a Wednesday.OK?.....Be there.......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

I hope to hell this doesn's count as advertising...

The Athletic event of the century

IT'LL BLOW YOUR MIND

Converging on CIT Running Track Wednesday,April 9th.

ISSA TRACK & FIELD

Of course not, the more athletics meets we know about the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 aoifejane

Originally posted by bla-d-bla
    dunno. UL have won all mens titles since 97-98 anyway, which was the first intervarsity I was at....
    Don't a lot of Jocks do the PE course there, if so, it's hardly surprising
    A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 david brent

i hear ucd have changed their rules and are allowing their club athletes to compete for them. this will at least make them more competitive. UL for the title again though!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Crazy Ivan

If anyone wants to know anything about this years intervarsities then just ask!

I'm organising them in Galway and I just found this board - looks cool!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 david brent

whats the piss up gonna be like afterwards, should be savage in galway! whats the track like, sheltered or will it be open to winds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Horse

Is the track on your campus, and are there plenty of buses to and from it?

IUAA:
    On another note, the pole vault competition cannot be help in Galway. The
    IUAA and NUI-Galway will be bussing athletes to an alternative venue. The
    men's and women's pole vaults will be held on the same day, with men and
    women jumping together. It has not yet been decided whether to do this on
    the Friday or the Saturday. All colleges are advised to enter their pole
    vault athletes and will be informed of which day the event is on in the
    coming days. Substitutions will be allowed on the day in accordance with
    IUAA rules. Please advise your athletes of this change to the pole vault.

Further event details and the NUIG event web site are available on
    www.iuaa.org along with the various rules governing the running of the
    championships.

Okay a few questions to get through:

The pole vault was a major head-ache. The only thing we could do (beyond scrapping it) was to move it to a different location. I set up a bus to go from Galway on the Friday evening to Tullamore where the polevault will be held for men and ladies. That was the last alternative because we have no polevault equipment here in Galway!

I also realise that the national polevault team are going for warm-weather training, but the IUAA want to have it run anyway.

The track is off the campus slightly but is still well within walking distance. It's not hard to get to. Here are some directions for your bus driver!!:

Take the Moycullen Road from the hospital/university. When you pass the Westwood House Hotel (it'll be on the left) take the next turn right and the track is visible on the right hand side.

The "piss-up" should be quite good alright. We don't really have anything strange planned or anything but then it's never exactly the planned things that make the headlines here! Believe me!

The track is quite barren alright. It's fairly open and it's not exactly the best surfaced track in Ireland, but it's not the worst either. I have arranged tents for the rain, cause let's face it - it'll rain! There's no grandstand or anything - a bit like Cork last year.

Thanks for your interest.

Sorry actually!

Scratch the whole polevault thing for now (I can't edit my last post for some reason)!

I just got an email from the IUAA wanting to change the plans a bit so I'll update as soon as I have more info. As it stands, the pole vault is going ahead though.

Er, editing the post shouldn't be a problem, just click the 'edit' tag. If it doesn't work you can drop me a private message or post your problem in the admin/support forum.

Thanks man! I'll try it again and see what happens

anyone know when the results will be on the web? and was there a mix up with the timing friday? not all the times were posted up?

dunno when the results will be up. sunday evening or mon morning i would imagine. dunno about the timing, they had "NT" all over the place....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bla-d-bla
    dunno when the results will be up. sunday evening or mon morning i would imagine. dunno about the timing, they had "NT" all over the place....

spoke too soon: http://www.tcd.ie/Clubs/DUCAC/Irish_Universities/Results/TF/tf20022003.html

Am I alone at been annoyed at not getting a time for my event? I admit to been knocked out in my heat but its a joke that there was no time given. How did they manage not to have some athletes times but athletes that finished after them timed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

i would feel annoyed also if i didnt get a time no matter if i was knocked out or however i did-i would like to see how i did and how other people did and maybe how i would have faired out etc.... i think it is a disgrace and i feel sorry for them!!!! like people cud have gotten a P.B but now they will never know!!!

:)

I am very annoyed at not getting a time in my event! that was pretty much my only reason for being there! confident I wouldnt been challenging for a medal I just wanted to know what kind of shape I was in

Originally posted by Varsityathlete
    Am I alone at been annoyed at not getting a time for my event?

Believe me, you're not alone! I was very annoyed at the way the timing went. I didn't actually run at the competition (well, apart from a relay where we DNFed), but I would have been severely annoyed at not getting a time for my race.

Unfortunately the timing, which was uber-expensive btw, just gave up on us for a number of events. Apparently this isn;t the forst time that this has happened with this guy at the intervarsities. I have it on good authority that there have been hickups like this over the last three years with him, but this year took the biscuit!

If anyone has any suggestions for trying to stop this for next year in Cork, I would love to hear them because I'd say the IUAA are seriously considering alternatives for the years to come. The guy we had just isn't reliable.

For any of those who feel cheated, I offer up a sincere apology and hope that that suffices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Horse

And the prize for the best performance of the weekend goes to.......

Gearoid O'Connor in the 1500m, not a particularly fast time but there were some class athletes in that race and he blew them all away.

Also, a fantastic team performance by Trinity to win the Men's title :D

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

I have to say well done to the Trinity guy. They did it with style.

I heard that they were working on winning it for months - I mean beyond the normal training and stuff. They won it on tactics.

It was a good show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

suggestions for trying to stop this for next year in Cork

well Cork is brilliant and so it wont happen at all there!!!--im not being at all bias now am I? haha

ne how I would just like to say well done to ye in Galway with or without times! Im sure ye did grand!!!

:)

lets have hope for next yr-

There are a fair few photos from the weekend here:
    http://www.tcd.ie/Clubs/DUHAC/Gallery/

• Advertisement

Well done lads and ladies. Great photos and a great performance.

Thanks for the kind words too Fast_Mover!

Advertisement