Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BackRex oe Backup... wtf?

Options
  • 05-04-2003 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

righty ho, bit of a long un...

about 6 months ago i had to do an os (windows xp) reinstall on my dads pc, he uses outlook express a lot for work related e mail, so backing up his old sent/recieved e maiuls was pretty important.
    i found an app called 'BackRex Outlook Express Backup' on some demo cd, backed up all the neccesary stuff & then wiped the hd.
    after i re installed windows i ran said app to restore outlook express to the state it was in prior to the reinstall.

now's where it gets interesting...
    as soon as i ran the app all the files on my hd started dissapearing completely, in less than a minute the os was completely useless.
    i'm not sure if i ran the app with the wrong options set, or it's just a virus in sheeps clothing, but i could'nt be arsed to try using it again after that point.
    i installed windows again, and my dad said he could live without the old emails, everything was groovy until yesterday...
    trouble is, now he says he needs one of the emails that was backed up...
    does anyone know of a way to restore the old files without running Backrex?
    this pic should show what file format the backups are in (a .dbx file for inbox etc & loads of smaller files which seem to be from html emails)

for anyone that hasn't tried it, stay well away from backrex...

http://members.boards.ie/tman/Image1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

this propably ain't much help, but it might get you on the road to finding a solution.
    http://filext.com/ didn't have a lot to offer on the .dbx file extension.

http://www.backsettings.com/(the home of Backrex) seems to have a few different proggies for this job. which particular version is yours? maybe the version you have is corrupt? try downloading a newer version. they more than likely all use the same .dbx file extension so you could recover the emails.
    failing that you can always mail support there.

just for handyness, a google on it.

hope ya get it sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

i used a similar program called e-backup.

you might be able to force the archive to open up with winzip or winrar and import the .dbx files manually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

the first thing i tried was unpacking the files with total commander & winrar, no dice...

gonna try downloading a newer demo now, at least i'll have someone to blame if it wipes the hd again;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ahhhh, it prolly wiped my hd the last time because i was trying to get around the demo limitations by renaming different folders... seemed to work alright this time...
    cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by tman
    ahhhh, it prolly wiped my hd the last time because i was trying to get around the demo limitations by renaming different folders... seemed to work alright this time...
    cheers guys
    You try to break the demo limitations and it wipes your HD? What kind of nutjob wrote that into it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement