Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Longhorn... wtf?

Options
  • 05-04-2003 3:48pm
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

I heard about this a while ago, but I've only looked into it recently.

This is an OS built from the ground up? another windows nt? Please tell me what the hell is with this as a friend is downloading an alpha copy at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

AFAIK its not from the ground up.

V4008 looks like an XP patch to me. Couple of extra features like a funky right side task menu thingy. I only played with it for 5 mins and then too it off. Feck all HD space :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Longhorn will take full advantage of 3D video hardware to render special effects that will make the screen more photorealistic and deep. This doesn't mean that the basic windows and mouse interface is being replaced, just that it will look a lot better.

Sounds like the system resource hogging is gonna get even better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Palladium will institute a similar model for PC software, where a trusted execution mode is used for Palladium applications and services and the old, "untrusted" mode is used for legacy code.

And therein is why it will fail ........

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Thnx for the info :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I got Windows Codename Longhorn PE. Thats the official name for it so far. Its buggy as hell but works grand if ya dont mind a program crashing once every hr or so. Looks nice but themexp doesnt work on it. I reccomend you wait for the retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Check this register article for more info.

There was another post on this a while back AFAIR

It is what it's.

Advertisement