Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aslan - live in Donabate

• 05-04-2003 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Aslan play the Donabate Portrane Community club on May 16th.

Tickets, priced at €20.00 go on sale this Monday (April 7th) at the reception desk in DPCC and are expected to sell out fast.

Other upcoming acts in DPCC include The Revs, The Frames and Ash. Acts who have taken to the stage in DPCC already include Joe Dolan and The Celtic Tenors.

How to get there:
    To get to Donabate by car from Dublin or the Airport, drive north towards Belfast on the N1/M1 until you pass Swords (10 miles north of the city) and take the right turn off the new roundabout onto the Hearse Road (sign-posted for Donabate & Portrane). Once you get to Donabate village, keep left and head towards Portrane. DPCC is the first left turn after the Scout Den & Credit Union. Donabate is also well serviced by Suburban Rail and Dublin Bus (Route 33B/C)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

when are the frames playing?

regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by sikes
    when are the frames playing?

regards

Dates have not yet been set for The Revs, The Frames or Ash.

A tribute band to The Drifters is also playing soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Bard

Other upcoming acts in DPCC include The Revs, The Frames and Ash.

You're taking the p**s. Tell me you're taking the p**s.

Originally posted by therecklessone
    You're taking the p**s. Tell me you're taking the p**s.

'fraid not... :)

I'm telling the absolute truth. Date's aren't confirmed - but the Frames and the Rev's are definitely lined up. Ash are tentative but looking very likely to commit.

The acts are just getting bigger and better - we're gradually turning this place into one of North Co. Dublin's best venues for live gigs.

Believe it. :D

Well I'll be damned.

Decent music comes to the backwater at last. Sure beats Slam in Keelings on a Saturday night...

The Frames and Ash will be excellent. The Revs? In their own words...Suck.

You're obviously a local?

Oh. And if things keep going the way you say they are, any chance of Wilt?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by therecklessone

You're obviously a local?

Yeah, I live right at the village green in Donabate itself.

Oh. And if things keep going the way you say they are, any chance of Wilt?

Er... I'll see what I can do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

careful with Aslan they are junkies and 90% of their fans are dirtbag scum;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Other upcoming acts in DPCC include ...The Frames ...

Any date set for The Frames yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Megadude

I thought this thread was a joke. Like the s h i t bands you're talking about. (Ash aren't the worst though) But its not. ha ha ha ha....you Paddy's don't have a clue. Aslan? Aslan? I hope you know what your neck of the woods is in for.

....druggies, knackers, teenage mothers stealing local cars, scabies and the clap all go hand in hand with Aslan, wherever they crawl.

Ha ha ha...:D

Eh, what's a "kneck"?

And why call the residents of Portrane/Donabate "Paddys"?

Actually, why did you bother posting at all?

• Advertisement

Megadude, yours is the kind of unconstructive and pointless tripe filled post that usually results in a much deserved banning. If you've nothing useful to say, or if you've no interest in the subject at hand, then you're be better off not posting.

Cheers,

Megadude, yours is the kind of unconstructive and pointless tripe filled post that usually results in a much deserved banning. If you've nothing useful to say, or if you've no interest in the subject at hand, then you're be better off not posting.

Cheers,

Don't cheers me Aslan fan. Ha ha ha :D God, you people, where's your sense of humour? I know your sense of taste is missing, but...y'know

...Ah sorry for offending, I didn't think yiz would all take it like babies. G'wan back to yer FM104, 98FM, 2FM or Ricki Lake shows and everything will be aaaaalright. Keep on encouraging the obviously quality music, such as Aslan. Would you say they are second only to the Beatles? Hmm...perhaps Oh, that reminds me, diamond pattern jumpers are on sale this week upstairs in Michael Guineys. Go get 'em!

Megadude, you're very funny.

No really.

Hilarious.

Um, I missed the bit where I said I was an Aslan fan. I'm not.

I also missed the bit where this thread was about discussing the merits or otherwise of any bands, Aslan included. It's not. :D

It's about informing people who might want to know about a gig that's coming up.

By the way, not that it's relevant, but I only rarely listen to FM104 (news and traffic reports mostly), and otherwise I listen to Sun 80's, Phantom, and whatever CD's happen to be in my car at the time (which is a collection of some jazz stuff, Radiohead and the Stones at the moment).

Megadude, you're very funny.

No really.

Hilarious.

Um, I missed the bit where I said I was an Aslan fan. I'm not.

I also missed the bit where this thread was about discussing the merits or otherwise of any bands, Aslan included. It's not. :D

It's about informing people who might want to know about a gig that's coming up.

By the way, not that it's relevant, but I only rarely listen to FM104 (news and traffic reports mostly), and otherwise I listen to Sun 80's, Phantom, and whatever CD's happen to be in my car at the time (which is a collection of some jazz stuff, Radiohead and the Stones at the moment).

Ok....sorry an all for assuming yer an Aslan fan. But d'ye not think that people should stop encouraging this muck? Imagine them playing an empty gig in Donabate....it would be great, then they might quit and stop terrorising everybody with taste.

Originally posted by Megadude
    Ok....sorry an all for assuming yer an Aslan fan. But d'ye not think that people should stop encouraging this muck? Imagine them playing an empty gig in Donabate....it would be great, then they might quit and stop terrorising everybody with taste.

Actually, I'd rather not see them play an empty gig in Donabate because I'd rather see the venue make a decent profit out of the night.

To each their own, Megadude. It's obvious enough that there's plenty of Aslan fans out there - and if, in putting on a gig to satisfy them, we can alleviate them of the heavy burden of the cash in their wallets so the Donabate area and it's new community club can benefit financially,... then all the better. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

you Paddy's don't have a clue. Aslan? Aslan? I hope you know what your neck of the woods is in for.

....druggies, knackers, teenage mothers stealing local cars, scabies and the clap all go hand in hand with Aslan, wherever they crawl.

I think we should all take this opportunity to cal-tow toe to Megadude's quite obvious extensive experience and expertise in this area... I myself know next to nothing about the clap.... so for my part anyway, I shall have to take your well versed word for it Megadude.

If only we all had your dry quick wit and ability to deride others.

sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Give that man a clap!

Hey megadude, what music do you like? And is it "dudeful" or would it be more "mega"?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

98thespiders.gif

Given that that is your band, I hardly see how you can complain about drug taking. :)

DeV.

lol
    God, you people, where's your sense of humour? I know your sense of taste is missing, but...y'know
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

ROFL

TEH SPIEDARS!!!

• Advertisement

The Spiders - A critique
    "Smacked.mp3" I was fascinated to find a rock band in the new millenium using the old three chord trick. It seems to lull me into days of yore when good ol' rock bands could play any old tat to get a rise from their audiences. Thankfully listeners copped on after the 70's and started to hear 4 chord tunes - even 5 chord tunes would you believe. It is refreshing to be brought back to the days of the 3 chord "song" and I think highly of the spiders for trying to bring this to the new millenium. I found the vocals on the breakdown that give an air of je ne sais quois make me feel vibrant when I hear them. "Dad-dablle-ad-dabble-dab-dabbleabbleabble". I just wish more bands would take heed of this innovative approach. Indeed I wish that the more utilised "ooh ooh ooh" and "laa laa laa" would be exchanged by this far mightier approach. This reporter is stunned to hear the middle eight changing tack from its original 3 chord wonder to a now eastern sounding Fmaj-Emaj chord structure. This of course reeks of solid Egyptian and Turkish roots, the diminished second certainly plays well with the whole ambience I feel. Overall I would rate this mp3 as - Innovative. But what strikes me on closing is the grunt at the end of the track. It filled me with an orgasmic awe only had by listening to old men talk about how times have changed and how butter isn't measured by the "pat" anymore.
    http://www.thespiders.com/the_spiders-smacked.mp3

"General Zog.mp3". Well what can I say. The croaking frog like intro, the Stevie Wonderesque clavinet striking jumping jabs and spikes while the guitar dangles hangingly like a spring slinky falling rythmically down a set of steps. This sounds like a hit of the future. I cannot get over how the lyrics have been intertwined with off-key melody, this trick has only been equalled by shit boy band groups in the past but The Spiders have gone up ten levels by allowing the humerous side of being out of tune into the mainstream, I was imagining being the singer and feeling his internal laughs as he sang out of key on purpose to undermine the system of the recording industry as it now stands. genius. I was, however, disheartened by The Spiders' use of vocals on the middle 8. "doo doo, doo doo, doo doo dooo doo, yeah yeah yeah." I felt slightly robbed by their inability to keep with the tradition of their creation by not using their far more powerful "Dad-dablle-ad-dabble-dab-dabbleabbleabble". This reporter was soaked in richness by this track, he finds hiself upon leaving the .mp3 to shutdown singing the lyrics "yeah" "yeah" "yeah" endlessly and hopes that he can gain sleep from such wonder created on tape.
    http://www.thespiders.com/the_spiders-general_zog.mp3

To sum up: I feel that my musical experiences have now been belittled by such a fine classy, dudeful masterpiece of a band. I hope now that I can "find myself a dream" as The Spiders certainly have done themselves as they have found their dream in music and we all wish them the happy life asleep dreaming about their sultry/unbashed music. The dream is now alive and we all wish The Spiders that their dream shall stay and their dream shall ne'er turn to reality as, unfortunately, Aslan's "music" certainly has done, and as Aslan's "music" has certainly made them enough "respect" by human beings and "crowds" of people singing their "music" in one glorious.... "Dad-dablle-ad-dabble-dab-dabbleabbleabble" this reporter believes that such "respect" is to be marred by the future that is TEH SPOIYDARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh jesus these songs are bad!
    I thought you had like 1970's influences?
    Where's the classy riffs, the stomping drums, the GOOD VOCALS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

After listening to Smacked again,
    I think I have lost all faith in humanity!
    You should try to record it again,. except this time, have some bass, on it, tune your guitars, and learn how to strum.
    My god the minute long F,E part is horrible, I nearly cried! The high E is just off by just enough to ring out through the whole part, and the strumming has a "hesitant" feel to it, like he didn't know where to come in.
    The strokes like drumming my god, something more imaginative please, bom tis bom tis bom tis bom bom tis!

I fear based on that music, you are no longer allowed to have opinions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Megadude. I'm very sorry to have to belittle your music, at least you're trying something better than boy band rubbish, but your drummer has alot to learn. I only listened to Smacked and General Zog, but his timing's up his arsé on General Zog. At least Aslans drummer can manage to keep a steady beat!

Unfortunately, tickets are not available on-line by the way - you'll have to visit the centre to get them. I'll probably try to get online sales up and running for gigs at some stage in the future, depending on demand.

Someone should really snip all but the first 7 posts (and this post) on this thread.

Those were early demos dudes. Before we had a full band. Thats why they're missing Bass on Smacked, and our drummer isn't on General Zog either, its someone else. Jayzus. The new demo has just been mixed.

And its still better than anything Aslan have excreted. Ha ha hah a ha...those reviews were funny. Go Gordon! Can you write or play?

...we'll be signed before the year is out.

Originally posted by Gordon
    The Spiders - A critique
    "Smacked.mp3" I was fascinated to find a rock band in the new millenium using the old three chord trick. It seems to lull me into days of yore when good ol' rock bands could play any old tat to get a rise from their audiences. Thankfully listeners copped on after the 70's and started to hear 4 chord tunes - even 5 chord tunes would you believe. It is refreshing to be brought back to the days of the 3 chord "song" and I think highly of the spiders for trying to bring this to the new millenium.

............Er what the heck do you think the White Stripes are doin? Three chord songs numbnuts! Ditto for soo many new bands, including Interpol, The Strokes, even AC-DC, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Nirvana, Chilli Peppers did it....actually everybody who's ever been famous or who will be use simple chord progression in limited numbers and always will. Its called Rock n Roll Ye dingus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gav Ol Son

To sum up: I feel that my musical experiences have now been belittled by such a fine classy, dudeful masterpiece of a band. I hope now that I can "find myself a dream" as The Spiders certainly have done themselves as they have found their dream in music and we all wish them the happy life asleep dreaming about their sultry/unbashed music. The dream is now alive and we all wish The Spiders that their dream shall stay and their dream shall ne'er turn to reality as, unfortunately, Aslan's "music" certainly has done, and as Aslan's "music" has certainly made them enough "respect" by human beings and "crowds" of people singing their "music" in one glorious.... "Dad-dablle-ad-dabble-dab-dabbleabbleabble" this reporter believes that such "respect" is to be marred by the future that is TEH SPOIYDARS

I don't know what your problem is. I think those tunes are cool. 'Smacked' Rocks. Sure its a bit rough around the edges but I can hear talent. I'd like to hear their new demos, with the full band. Megadude might be a bit crazy with his posts, but he does have a point, Aslan are terrible. I think Gordon doesn't know much about talent. Rock on The Spiders!

Originally posted by Gav Ol Son
    ....I don't know what your problem is.
    lol! My problem at the time of listening to teh spoiydars was that I had ears.

What instrument do you play on that track Gav?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gav Ol Son

lol! My problem at the time of listening to teh spoiydars was that I had ears.

What instrument do you play on that track Gav?

Pardon? what? I don't even play an instrument. I'm a music fan. And I go to gigs all of the time. I don't think you are being very nice. This person has obviously put themselves on the line with their music. And I think its better than lots of rock music on the radio. It just needs to be cleaned up in recording. In my book, anyone who respects Aslan have questionable taste. Thats all.

Advertisement