Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Firewire External Hard Drive

• 05-04-2003 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a USB/Firewire harddrive probably at least 20gigs. It'll be used mostly for transferring data to and from college ;) My question is are these drives recognised when they are plugged in or do you have to install speciailised software to use them.

The problem in college is that most of the computers are restricted somewhat by the administrators, forbidding any foreign installations of hardware or software. Something that would automatically be detected and installed is what is needed. I think the technical term is hot swappable but I could be wrong.

For those who have the Creative Nomad Zen, is this worth getting for the data transfer capabilities alone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I think it depends on the os.. 98 would need a driver to be installed where as 2000 & xp wouldnt.
    Im a big fan of the zen but the data storage is just an added bonus. you have to use the creative software to transfer files and im sure you could pick up a dedicated storage device for less than €400. Your paying for the mp3 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I use an archos jukebox myself, just picked up as an ext. hdd in all operating system automatically(afaik) (well i have tryed it on 98, xp and some distros of linux)

Dead handy in college as installing new drivers is impossible, also its a 20gig usb2 hdd so its a fairly nice piece of kit. Archos seems to get bad mouthed alot, personally ive had no problems, also know two people with archos as well and they've had no problems.

Worth a look tbh www.archos.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

buy 1 external usb 2.0 caddy from www.peats.ie like i did ( about 80 euros )

and then buy a hdd from www.komplett.ie

you will need to install software on the win98 pc but me 2k and xp all will run fine with it and not require any software . most collages / net cafes dont mind you using these as there is no software installed onto there computers to mess them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Thanks for the helpful info, guys. An mp3 CD player is what I have at the moment but was thinking of getting a hard disk based one so that would be 2 problems solved. Bought the CD player from argos, still under 16 day garauntee so might send it back.

The archos jukebox seems a bit too expensive. It's got lots of cool features but I probably wouldn't use all of them. Looks like external caddy idea is right for me, thanks elexes.

Advertisement