Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unusual boot problem

• 06-04-2003 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

having a bit of trouble with my new system.

specs are:
    cpu: athlon xp 2400
    mobo: msi kt4v
    ram: 512 pc2700

basically the system hangs on the first boot screen. but the unusual bit is if i then turn it off 4 a few mins(over 5) & reboot it will boot up fine, but only sometimes. the mobo came with some funky led card thing which diagnoses these type of things & its explanation is "boot attempt - this will set low stack & boot via INT 19h" which is nice. but dosent explain whats going wrong.

to make matters worse ive got my finals next week & this is my only pc atm so im thinking of keeping it running till their over unless i can find the solution in case i cant get back into it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

have a look at the article at the bottom of the page here hope it helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

sorry think u missunderstood. when i said
    its explanation is "boot attempt - this will set low stack & boot via INT 19h"
    i mean that was in the mobo manual as a possible if those lights showed up. that msg didnt come up on my screen or anything.

thanks 4 the suggestion tho.

i dont think it will make a differance but ill post up the boot sequence:

floppy
    h/disk
    dvd drive

then is set to try other boot devices

well i said at the start it was an unusual problem & the answer is even weirder.......................im fairly certain it was caused by my 750 zip drive......... i got thinkin about the boot sequence & plugged out all unneccisary periphals before booting. it rebooted fine. then tryed booting a few more times each time adding another peripheral. when added the zip the prob reoccured. a couple more boots confirmed. when i boot with zip plugged in & it hangs, if i then plug out the zip it'l go along fine...............which is weird coz i didnt think u could boot from a usb device.

anyone else have similar probs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Hmm - I have an even more worrying boot problem. After working problem free for a few months, my system started going down with the blue screen of death, and some complaints on memory. The situation then got progresively worse, to the point where the system will not boot at all - not even to a point where the monitor comes on. I think from the diagnostic lights that its bugging out when its accessing my RAM (DDR-2700 512MB), at which point it starts a two tone beep sequence and halts power to evrything bar the system speaker.

I've tried putting DIMMs that I know work in instead of mine and I still get the same error, so I'm thinking its a problem with the KT4V, maybe with the DDR controller.

Anyone any ideas?

----

Tony

• Advertisement

dont say that man *crosses fingers*
    my system has been running fine ever since this prob was resolved, although i now no it happens with any usb device plugged in, not just the zipper. simple solution was a usb hub & plug that in when i need it.

komplett r usually grand for returning stuff if needs be. have u tryed ur RAM in another board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I tried the RAM in another MSI board and it worked fine. I stumped - hopefully komplett will ride to the rescue!

Advertisement