Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL modem... which to buy and from who?

• 06-04-2003 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm thinking about getting Eircom's I-stream, but I have one question: Should I buy the ADSL modem from them, or get a different one? Where else can I get a good ADSL modem that supports Eircom's service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

do a simple search, top right of ur hud, and ull get plenty of threads with many,many,many recomended modems and what not..

baz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I have an ex Eircom iStream modem if you're interested. It is an Alcatel model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

The modem they gav out with the isdn was sshhhbahitsjustgonnagetcensored so be careful before u decide to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I don't know why the modem they gave out with isdn is relevant but the Alcatel USB modem worked 100% of the time for about eight months. The only downtime was for a few hours one day and Eircom told us the service was down at the time.
    The only disadvantage to this modem is that it is USB. If you want to hook up more than one machine, it isn't as easy as with ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

www.komplett.ie ?? have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

dont know why you adivse Komplett as they dont have any adsl modems at all (and havnt had any)

ollie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

godstoy you ****en idiot...komplett have none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Per from Komplett said there are some on the way though. Right now they have about 2 modems and not ADSL at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

sooner the better because im buying from amazon.co.uk tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mj

I have searched for a Ethernet/USB ADSL modem because I ain't going to slash out over €200 for Eircoms one....

I have found one called Zoom
    The ethernet one cost $89
    The USB costs $79
    and the combo costs $99

It has everything you need. I rang PCWorld and they have them in stock for €120 so I reckon this is the one to go for....

I am going to try and order online http://www.dslmodemsdirect.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Underscore

Thanks for all the help. But I've got one more problem before I get ADSL. If I have two computers, and I get ADSL modems for both of them, can I split the line and connect them both to it at the same time, or if not, is there some kind of hub I could get that would do the same job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Get a router. Best option. Put the router in a central location, run the cat5 cable between it and the two PC's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 O.T.Grouch

I've ordered the Eircom self-install product without a modem. GULP! I don't know anything about computers or modems or wiring, but I'm a man and can't admit I might not be able to do something :D

I was in Maplins today and I saw an internal ADSL modem for 88 yoyos. I don't have much desk space so it looked promising.

Didn't have time to talk to the guys in the shop (I was doing a quick recce), but does anyone know anything about that?

On the topic of this whole router thing, I've found a wireless ADSL router at

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Wireless_116.html

called the D-Link AirPlus DSL-604+, but it seems a bit pricey at nearly £200. Is there any cheaper option?
    Also, the Epox BT-DG02 on that page also look pretty good, and since I don't currently have a network, could I just get two of those and a wireless ADSL router and have a home network with ADSL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

On that site , there is a Netgear DG814 ADSL Router - Retail (NW-007-NG) which would do the job for you. Not wireless, but at £118 stg, its cheaper. PC World in the UK sell that for £150. There is also a selection on Simply Computers website, maybe worth checking out too.

Unfortunately, due to the internal layout of my house and my desire not to be decapitated by thick network cables at neck height, I think wireless is the way it'll have to be. Still, if all I need is that router and two of the Epox BT-DG02 thingies, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. That is all I'd need, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Just make sure you get a modem which supports pppoe I think they use pppoa in th UK so be carefull if purchasing from there. If you are even thinking about networking get yourself a single or better still four port combined ethernet modem router you might be able to get one with wirless capability which would be ideal failing that you can get a wireless router and connect that to the ethernet modem. I have a wired/wireless lan at home which just sort of evolved I use a prestige 643 router / modem which is connected to a Netgear FR114W Firewall router from this there are several PCs connected on the wired lan I have a pcmcia wireless access card stuck into the back of the Firewall to allow wireless access for a couple of laptops. I have the whole thing working on dchp which makes configuration handy.
    Hope you get what you want anyway there are a couple of handy guides about look for a site called practicallynetwoked.com or something like that it's called.

Cheers
    Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Originally posted by O.T.Grouch
    I've ordered the Eircom self-install product without a modem. GULP! I don't know anything about computers or modems or wiring, but I'm a man and can't admit I might not be able to do something :D

I was in Maplins today and I saw an internal ADSL modem for 88 yoyos. I don't have much desk space so it looked promising.

Didn't have time to talk to the guys in the shop (I was doing a quick recce), but does anyone know anything about that?

Marx have a PCI ADSL modem for €75 (I thought it was €50, any chance they upped it since the new DSL packages came out?)

Ok, I'll admit I haven't a clue about this pppoe and pppoa thing. Can anyone tell me if the D-Link AirPlus DSL-604+ will work on an Irish ADSL line?
    Also, which would be better for connecting the PCs to the network, the D-Link AirPlus DWL-520+ PCI card or the usb dongle? I'd prefer the dongle for its sheer coolness, but I get the feeling it doesn't exactly have great network bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 O.T.Grouch

I visited Peats, Maplins & Compustore over the weekend to check out their ADSL modem offerings.

Without exception, the sales staff said, yes, all our kit works with Eircom's new product.

However their response appeared automatic rather than knowledgable.

Can someone tell me if

a) Eircom definitely uses PPPoE and
    b) most ADSL modems work with PPPoE

Still confused :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mj

Yes, Eircom uses PPPoE.

You are much better at buying a modem/router online. They are cheaper than most Irish stores.... especially Compustore.

You can order a product (Zoom Model 5551) that contains a router and hub in one for off Data Solutions (Ph: 4604888
    ) that costs €148. This has ethernet and USB connections

With this you can hook up 253 computers to your hub. It also contains a firewall :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I phoned Eircom today (1800-512128) and was told that Eircom uses PPPoA

Who do I believe? The supplier or the anonymous bulletin board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

It'd defo pppoe even double checked my modem and pasted in the status report below as you can see it's pppoe

Node-Lnk Status TxPkts RxPkts Errors Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
    1-PPPoE Up 474818 590332 0 74 0 49:51:08
    2 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    3 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    4 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    5 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    6 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    7 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    8 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00

Ethernet: WAN:
    Collisions: 0 Rx Pkts: 458947 Upstream Speed: 256 kbps
    CPU Load = 21.12% Downstream Speed: 1024 kbps